☀️ Solar Storm Underway Now 💥

Discuss solar related topics.
StarHugger Online United States of America
Articles: 0

☀️ Solar Storm Underway Now 💥

Post by StarHugger »

More @ Spaceweather.com

Aurora Mapping & Citizen Science Cooperative - https://www.aurorasaurus.org/

This is it Folks, level 4 storm with as many as 6 more CME's incoming !

Reports are the first hit was much stronger than expected...
Attachments
1000001397-01.jpeg
Last edited by StarHugger on Sat May 11, 2024 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
messier 111 Online Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ☀️ Solar Storm Underway Now 💥

Post by messier 111 »

my app tells me a 34% chance of seeing one, I cross my fingers. thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

Post by StarHugger »

messier 111 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:31 pm my app tells me a 34% chance of seeing one, I cross my fingers. thx.
Best of luck Jean-Yves 🤞🍀

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation

Post by StarHugger »

Some of my " First Ever " Aurora phone shots from the storm, was so awesome, lots of purples and greens with some pinks and reds...

Got to finally use my new Aurora phone I built and posted about last year, Auroras take a while lol...

The 2nd image is the Cresent Moon setting behind a close hill with coloured spires from behind the distant clouds, one of the first images taken before astronomical darkness set in and it was my favorite of the nite.

Met up with alot of Great Folks out there at our darksite tonight, people were parked along side the country roads every 1/4 mile or so too.

Just got in 2am an its still raging out there, a night to remember indeed...
Attachments
1000030932-01.jpeg
1000030949-01.jpeg
1000030942-01.jpeg
1000030945-01.jpeg
1000030946-01.jpeg
1000030928-01.jpeg
Last edited by StarHugger on Sat May 11, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Post by StarHugger »

At Maximum North American Coverage...
Attachments
1000030722-01.jpeg

Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Beautiful Aurora shots Aaron!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Great pics Aaron, wow! If it hadn't been for the clouds and the rain here.... :lol:

Glad you got out!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC

Post by StarHugger »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:49 pm Beautiful Aurora shots Aaron!
Thanks, I'm ready if it happens again !

Post by StarHugger »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 pm Great pics Aaron, wow! If it hadn't been for the clouds and the rain here.... :lol:

Glad you got out!
Thanks Mark !

Was a blast, my daughter and I had the Aurora Roof open and were experiencing horizon to horizon green streamers and red and pink spikes overhead, then we approached the stop sign one block from home in our badly light polluted nieghborhood and agreed together fully we where en route to one amazing nite out under the plasma charged starry skies...

Ylem United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Beautiful Aaron!

We have had clouds here.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Post by StarHugger »

Ylem wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:20 am Beautiful Aaron!

We have had clouds here.
Thanks Jeff !

Best of Luck on the next one indeed, it is the time of the season for sure...

Mike Q Online United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

So a oddball question. I am running into a lot of people locally that say they could not see the lights visually. I would like to understand how that is possible. The sky was all lit up and it was easily visible for me.
Last edited by Mike Q on Tue May 14, 2024 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Mike Q wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am So a oddball question. I am running into a lot of people lcally that say they could not see the lights visually. I would like to understand how that is possible. The sky was all lit up and it was easily visible for me.
maybe they had poor dark adapted eyes or direct light from street lamps/yard flood lights . i've travelled to a bortel 1 sky and the viewing was so bad because of flood lights from the hotel , could not hide from it.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Post by StarHugger »

Mike Q wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am So a oddball question. I am running into a lot of people lcally that say they could not see the lights visually. I would like to understand how that is possible. The sky was all lit up and it was easily visible for me.
On this night the Auroras levels here werent consistant as the storm and atmospheric instability was also not and with two strong peaks and one lull if you look at the data, then clouds and light pollution played a huge roll, when first arriving at our dark site there were clouds all around as we all watched the intense action in the zenith hole, horizon views showed no detectable aurora.

Just then two gentlemen arrive and ask if we have seen anything, we all giggled a bit and one of us suggested they try looking up and they of course were wowed...

At this point in the storm we had already observed the first peak on the drive out so intense the thin cloud and light pollution could hardly stop it getting through and of all the rest to be seen at 43 degrees north even after the skies fully cleared at 2am that drive out to the darksite in some of the worst conditions of the whole event turned out to be the best views of the night.

We were even treated to a passing thunderstorm and had to close the overhead Aurora viewing portal for a few minutes while the lightning and aurora battled over control of the skies above us.

I should have pulled over and taken some shots rite there and then, but I was of course in a hurry to get to darker skies, live and learn...