Observing Report for 01 September 2022 - last night the ecstasy, tonight the agony

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx Online United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 01 September 2022 - last night the ecstasy, tonight the agony

Post by kt4hx »

The second night of my trip to the dark site house was upon me. I set the gear up about 2000 hours then stepped back inside to wait for darkness. Given the brighter conditions due to the local county fair about a mile up the road, I decided to wait until after 2130 hours to step back out. I wanted to start in Capricornus tonight, with possible forays into Aquarius as well. However, in the end of it all, the conditions seemed to have other ideas of how things would go.

As it turned out, the transparency was weaker than predicted. The sky glow from the fair was present as I expected, but the transparency made for a struggle that finally won out over my perseverance. Added to this mix was the sense that my mental concentration was off somewhat, plus I started to feel physically weak. I really wasn’t sure what was going on, but it definitely took the starch out of me.

Though I gave it an effort, and some galaxies were observed, in the end, it didn’t go as planned. But not every evening does. The summer Milky Way was weak even to the south into Sagittarius and Scorpius. Anyway, the following is what I managed to scrape and claw from a difficult sky. My journey began as I cracked open the Uranometria to chart 124 and aimed my scope at mag 3.1 Beta Capricorni (Dabih).

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

IC 1313 (Capricornus, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.8'x1.4', SBr=14.8):
A little over 2° SSW of Dabih, I located the field for my first target. It lay about 23’ east of the mag 8.1 field star HD 192772. I was picked up using 152x as a small and fairly dim oval. A very dim mag 14.8 foreground star was noted in the western side of its disk. Observed at 199x and 283x it remained dim and very diffuse. A mag 13.5 field star lay just 2’ to its southeast. (New)

NGC 6931 (Capricornus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=12.2):
Next was this spiral, which was very dim and diffuse at 152x. It presented a small oval disk that was homogeneous to the eye. Even at 199x and 283x it remained weak and diffuse. (New)

MCG -2-52-14 (Capricornus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.1’x0.4’, SBr=13.3):
Just over 8’ to the northwest of the previous object Uranometria plotted this object. It was not seen at 152x. Going to 199x it was picked up as a very dim and very diffuse small oval. Even at 283x it remained a very dim smooth little oval disk that could have been easily overlooked had I not been looking for it. (New)

IC 1324 (Capricornus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.5’x1.4’, SBr=14.0):
My next target was this face-on lenticular galaxy. At 152x I found it small and dim. Rounded in shape it appeared diffuse in nature. Observing it with 199x and 283x it was clearly more apparent but remained diffuse and weak in appearance. (New)

As I was wrapping up the observing of IC 1324, something caused me to look up suddenly toward the northwest. A fireball caught my eye just in time as I lifted my head from the eyepiece. I saw a large and extremely bright pale green streak pass from Hercules into Draco at 2152 hours. I guessed its magnitude as at least -5, though that is only a best guess. I lost it behind some trees, but it was a nice one! Then I went back to the galaxies.

IC 1334 (Capricornus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.5’x0.8’, SBr=13.5):
Returning to the hunt, I located this object using 152x. However, it was just at the threshold of my visual perception. Using 199x the galaxy was very dim and very small in visual presence. Even at 283x it was very weak and difficult. It also carries the identifier of IC 1333 due to a duplicate discovery. (New)

NGC 7131 (Capricornus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=14.1):
Picked up with 152x it was a dim and small oval glow with an intermittent stellar core. Viewing at 199x the galaxy was more apparent and its stellar core more pronounced. Taking a look at 283x the galaxy remained quite diffuse in appearance, but it was more apparent visually as was its stellar core. I was also picking up a very dim mag 15.1 field star just off its southeastern tip. (New)

At this point I had a string of failures in Capricornus and I felt like my focus and concentration was getting sidetracked. I could tell the conditions were slipping and it was becoming more of a struggle to find galaxies. While I know that many of the targets I pursue are to the dimmer side, I could tell that what I had picked up was not as robust visually as they would have been on a normal evening. Some of that surely was the increased brightness, but I felt that did not totally account for the weaker than expected visual presence. The transparency was definitely on the down turn.

NGC 7183 (Aquarius, spiral galaxy, mag=12.0, size=3.8’x1.1’, SBr=13.3):
So with the struggles in Capricornus, I moved over into Aquarius on chart 143 and located about 4.5° southeast of mag 2.8 Delta Capricorni. Located in the center of a quadrilateral of four field stars (10th, 11th and 12th mag) I found it a little dim at 152x. The oval disk appeared subtly large, elongated and very diffuse. It is oriented east-west and using 199x and 283x it remained quite diffuse in appearance. At 283x it seemed that the eastern side might have been very subtly brighter than the western half of the disk. (New)

NGC 7373 (Pegasus, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.3’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
I now moved up to Pegasus briefly to try and locate this galaxy just across the border from Aquarius and plotted on chart 102 of the Uranometria. Picked up with 152x it was small and fairly dim. Oval in shape, it displayed a stellar core at its center. Viewing with 199x and 283x it remained a weak visual object. (New)

Conditions were really struggling, as was I. As I mentioned above my concentration just seemed off tonight, and the weak transparency may have had something to do with that, but I am uncertain. But overall I just felt a little off my game and after a bit more than a couple of hours of struggling to pick up galaxies I finally gave up around midnight. In all honestly, I missed more than I caught. But before calling it a night, I visited a few showpiece objects.

Messier 57 / NGC 6720 (Lyra, planetary nebula, mag=8.8, size=3.0’x2.4’, SBr=10.8):
Swinging the scope to Lyra, I quickly located this outstanding planetary nebula. At 152x it was very bright and large (for a PN). It displayed its typical oval shape, with a very pronounced annular disk, with its center filled with a gauzy gray-white filling. I didn’t use a filter for it as I was simply enjoying the view for a few minutes before wrapping this weak kneed outing up. At least this object brought a smile to my face. It provided a beautiful and inspiring view.

Messier 31 / NGC 224 (Andromeda, spiral galaxy, mag=3.4, size=3.2°x1.0°, SBr=13.3)
Messier 32 / NGC 221 (Andromeda, elliptical, mag=8.1, size=8.5’x6.5’, SBr=12.2):
Messier 110 / NGC 205 (Andromeda, elliptical, mag=8.1, size=19.5’x11.5’, SBr=13.7):

The big three in Andromeda would be my last visual targets for the evening. Even with the light glow from the local fair up the road, and the poor transparency, I could make out M31 with the naked eye, weakly. Spotting it in the RACI optical finder, I moved to the eyepiece (152x). While it was bright and large, it was quite subdued in is appearance and angular extent as compared to a normal night here. The prominent and detailed dark lanes I typically see were weak. The very pronounced star cloud NGC 206 was now a weak and pale knot. Overall the galaxy was far below its typical self due to the poor conditions this evening.

As typical I easily located M32 south of the core of M31. It was of course bright and somewhat large, but the thing I noticed most was how far removed from the galactic disk of M31 it appeared. Typically the outer arms of M31 extend out so far that M32 is either just off their edge or is involved in the outer fringes of the hazy arms of M31. I have never seen it from this location so far removed from the visible disk of M31. That spoke volumes about just how bad the transparency was in combination with the increased sky glow from the local fair.

Last up was M110, which I easily located at 152x northwest of M31. It was also bright and somewhat large in angular extent, and while it was a little subdued from its normal self, it was still bright. But as with M32, its angular distance from the visible edge of M31 was noticeably increased. The poor transparency and increased sky brightness was simply washing out the dimmer outer portions of M31. All in all, each was easy to see, but they were less robust than typical.

So at this point, I was not feeling top notch. So given how I felt physically and the soft conditions, I started moving my gear into the garage, and happily retreated to the house to have a little snack, something to drink and get some rest. The trip home the next day would be tiring and with how I was feeling, I thought sleep would be the best thing I could do for myself at this point. Anyway, though the evening did not turn out as anticipated, and certainly paled in comparison to the previous night’s efforts, it was still successful, even if in a subdued manner. Best to look forward to the next time I get to go over there. We are heading into the fall season, which is primo galaxy hunting time as the main plane of the Milky Way moves out of the way. The temps get cooler and the air typically clears out. I appreciate you coming along with me and I hope you all get a chance to do some observing soon.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
davesellars
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 01 September 2022 - last night the ecstasy, tonight the agony

Post by davesellars »

Hi Alan. Many thanks for the report - You still managed a good list of new objects despite the conditions. Perhaps you'd just done too much the previous night! Anyway, hope you get your energy back soon...
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 01 September 2022 - last night the ecstasy, tonight the agony

Post by kt4hx »

davesellars wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:09 pm Hi Alan. Many thanks for the report - You still managed a good list of new objects despite the conditions. Perhaps you'd just done too much the previous night! Anyway, hope you get your energy back soon...

Thank you Dave. I added a few new ones to the log, and that is always a good thing of course. I suspected that perhaps I did over extend myself the night before. I typically do two to three hours, but that night was closer to six total. That is not something I'd done for several years. So I think you are indeed correct on that point. Anyway, yes, I have been fine. The next morning when I woke up I felt better. My drive home is typically three to four hours depending on traffic. I was of course tired when I got home, but that is normal anyway. I know I certainly am not a spring chicken any more (68 yo), and sometimes I can over extend myself. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I know how you feel Alan. When conditions are great the progress is fast, you are inspired, which results in longer and even more productive sessions. When conditions are bad you work harder for lesser result, run out of juice faster and end session prematurely. I guess this is a way for nature to balance things. :lol:

Still beats watching TV. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:21 pm I know how you feel Alan. When conditions are great the progress is fast, you are inspired, which results in longer and even more productive sessions. When conditions are bad you work harder for lesser result, run out of juice faster and end session prematurely. I guess this is a way for nature to balance things. :lol:

Still beats watching TV. :)

Thank you Andrey. Well I do like TV, depending on what I'm watching of course. :) But you are correct that when conditions are tough and the objects get more difficult to pull in than usual, it does wear on you quicker. Faint object pursuit is tiring in the best of times, but doing so in poor conditions gets particularly frustrating. But it is the price to pay sometimes for all the really good nights we get out there. I know better conditions will come and then I will be a happy camper again! :lol:
Alan

John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

You did a good job, considering your physical condition.
I hope you get rested and well again soon!
M57 is always a pleasure to look at!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:57 am You did a good job, considering your physical condition.
I hope you get rested and well again soon!
M57 is always a pleasure to look at!!

Thank you John. I am doing well now, no problems.

Agree, M57 is a beautiful object, and it holds up well to weaker conditions because it is so bright and has higher surface brightness.
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Despite the poor seeing and that fair light glow you still came away with some very nice targets in Capricornus and other constellations. And viewing M57 (Ring Nebula), even with poor skies, is still the crown jewel for the night. Thanks for another great observing report from the dark site house and the very best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:11 pm Hi Alan. Despite the poor seeing and that fair light glow you still came away with some very nice targets in Capricornus and other constellations. And viewing M57 (Ring Nebula), even with poor skies, is still the crown jewel for the night. Thanks for another great observing report from the dark site house and the very best of regards.

Thank you Marshall. One can never go wrong taking a look at M57. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Reviewing the objects I logged this second night, I was again drawn to the curious detail I noted with NGC 7183. At 283x it seemed the eastern portion of the galaxy's disk was subtly brighter than was the western portion. In looking at the below PanSTARRS image (not mine) of this nice galaxy, I can see why I was getting that sense of its uneven light distribution. The western portion appears more obscured by dust within the galaxy's disk in the image. If one looks closely at the dark lane, you can see it is distorted. This all leads me to wonder if the galaxy has undergone an interaction event with another galaxy in the distant past. The other galaxy labeled in the image, PGC 135307, is thought to be a companion of NGC 7183. It is estimated to be in the 15th mag range and was not seen. It is always nice to tease out subtle structural detail in galaxies, as that doesn't happen every time out.

ngc7183wide.jpg
Alan

terrynak

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

Thanks for the report, Alan! Of the ones you listed, NGC 7183 (mag=12, SB=13.3) is the one I would go for with my 4.5" if I were back at my old Bortle 4.5-5 sites from the previous decade. One of these days I'll get back to galaxy hunting - the last time was in Australia in Dec. 2019 (galaxies in Reticulum and Dorado).
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice reporting, Alan. Glad you are feeling better. I'm up in Berkeley Springs with the wife, relaxing!! No telescope!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 am Thanks for the report, Alan! Of the ones you listed, NGC 7183 (mag=12, SB=13.3) is the one I would go for with my 4.5" if I were back at my old Bortle 4.5-5 sites from the previous decade. One of these days I'll get back to galaxy hunting - the last time was in Australia in Dec. 2019 (galaxies in Reticulum and Dorado).

Thank you Terry. I remember your trip to Australia and that you visited the site where James Dunlop did his survey of the southern sky back in the 1820's.

Ah yes Reticulum and Dorado. Excellent galaxy hunting grounds. My days of traveling south, at least from a work perspective is done. I was on a trip in 2020 when COVID became all the rage. Because I no longer hold a diplomatic passport, my traveling days were over because of the restrictions placed by countries on travelers. At that point I applied for my Social Security and effectively retired. If I ever get back down that way, it will be purely as a tourist. :) I have observed DSOs in 87 of the 88 constellations, missing only Mensa. Whether I will get to complete that goal, I've no idea.

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:37 am Nice reporting, Alan. Glad you are feeling better. I'm up in Berkeley Springs with the wife, relaxing!! No telescope!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Yeah, I am okay, other than just old and tired in the general sense. :lol: I hope you all have a fine time up there and enjoy the quiet environment. No telescope required! :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice evening and congrats on the VROD. Also glad you are feeling better.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:53 pm Nice evening and congrats on the VROD. Also glad you are feeling better.

Thank you Michael. Appreciate the nod and well wishes. All is well here now. Just waiting for the moon out of the way. But then the clouds will likely move in! :)
Alan

terrynak

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm
terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:25 am Thanks for the report, Alan! Of the ones you listed, NGC 7183 (mag=12, SB=13.3) is the one I would go for with my 4.5" if I were back at my old Bortle 4.5-5 sites from the previous decade. One of these days I'll get back to galaxy hunting - the last time was in Australia in Dec. 2019 (galaxies in Reticulum and Dorado).

Thank you Terry. I remember your trip to Australia and that you visited the site where James Dunlop did his survey of the southern sky back in the 1820's.

Ah yes Reticulum and Dorado. Excellent galaxy hunting grounds. My days of traveling south, at least from a work perspective is done. I was on a trip in 2020 when COVID became all the rage. Because I no longer hold a diplomatic passport, my traveling days were over because of the restrictions placed by countries on travelers. At that point I applied for my Social Security and effectively retired. If I ever get back down that way, it will be purely as a tourist. :) I have observed DSOs in 87 of the 88 constellations, missing only Mensa. Whether I will get to complete that goal, I've no idea.

Hope you get back down South - as a tourist. I've always travelled abroad as a tourist. Since my last Australian trip in 2019, I went to Serbia in December 2020 - there were no COVID restrictions for people entering the country from the airport (which changed only within a day of my arrival).

I hope to retire in about 7 yrs.

I want to return to Australia (or New Zealand) to do some more deep sky observing.
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:24 pm
kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:27 pm

Hope you get back down South - as a tourist. I've always travelled abroad as a tourist. Since my last Australian trip in 2019, I went to Serbia in December 2020 - there were no COVID restrictions for people entering the country from the airport (which changed only within a day of my arrival).

I want to return to Australia (or New Zealand) to do some more deep sky observing.

I was in Belgrade back in late 2001 I believe, because I was thinking it was shortly after 9/11 when travel loosened back up. But never made it to Aus/NZ. Most of my travel honestly was to so-called 3rd world countries, as that was where the requirements happened to be. Oh well, I hope you can back down under for some more observing. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama Desert in Chile, but I've no idea if that will work out.
Alan

John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:29 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan

terrynak

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:00 pm
terrynak wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:24 pm

I was in Belgrade back in late 2001 I believe, because I was thinking it was shortly after 9/11 when travel loosened back up. But never made it to Aus/NZ. Most of my travel honestly was to so-called 3rd world countries, as that was where the requirements happened to be. Oh well, I hope you can back down under for some more observing. I wouldn't mind going to the Atacama Desert in Chile, but I've no idea if that will work out.

When I go to Europe, it's never for astronomical observing, although I try to visit old/historic observatories. Unfortunately, I didn't visit any old observatories in Belgrade or the other towns I visited.

Chile is another place I've thought about going, with a telescope. Or maybe the western part of Argentina (I've been to that country twice). But definitely want to return to Aus/NZ.