ZWO ASI in stock??? visual guy goes for AP

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
SkyHiker United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ZWO ASI in stock??? visual guy goes for AP

Post by SkyHiker »

The other ingredient for planetary AP is a large aperture. You may want to look into an 11"-14" scope and a mount for it, too. There is no escape for Rayleighs criterion. Looking at my own roadmap I could have saved money by not buying an AVX first and getting the G11S right away. The 12" Newt that is still in the mail should work for planetery AP with a good Barlow on it, as well as DSOs with a good CC (its primary purpose). Apos are relatively slow and lack aperture while a focal reducer leads to loss of magnification. My Mak Newt at F/4.8 works much better than my 127 mm Apo because of the low F ratio while it has a small secondary and flat field. Just my 2 cents, don't cut too many corners when you start accumulating gear.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gordon Online United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1052

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

My suggestion is to get the camera and play.

I have the ASI120mc and use it primarily for lunar / planetary. It does a great job for that! I might also suggest firecapture as a capturing software. It's free and has a bit more 'options' than sharpcap in MHO.

I didn't notice but which scope are you going to primarily use it with?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 599

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I already ordered it. I'm planning on taking some shots with the 6" refractor. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion of firecapture Gordon. If it doesn't work out I may get a 102mm or even a Mak-Cass. I've been looking at those.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

BABOafrica wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:05 am Wow, Michael. All this time I thought you were doing AP already -- judging for you frequent comments on the forum.

So, welcome to the club.

BABO
Thanks Joe. I have to date have done a few nightscapes, some constellation photos, moon at a distance, moon terminator through the Dob but no real AP. I have spent several years photographing coins with good results, though it is somewhat different than AP. Need a solid base to hold the cam, and special attention to focus and lighting, and some post processing. I greatly admire the work of dedicated APers here such as yourself. Here's an example of coin photography:

Gordian III, A.D. 238-244

AR Antoninianus, 24mm, 4.9 grams

Rome mint, A.D. 241-243

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: PM TRP III COS II PP; Apollo seated left, holding laurel branch and leaning on lyre

Reference: RIC IV 114
gordian3.jpg

gordian4.jpg
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
BABOafrica Kenya

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

The coins looks great. Very nicely captured.

The obvious question, which may have been covered elsewhere:

Do you have an equatorial mount ???

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

BABOafrica wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm The coins looks great. Very nicely captured.

BABO
While I can take images of the moon with my Twilight II alt-az mount I realize I will have to get an equatorial for tracking the planets and for more rigidity, though the Twilight II is pretty stable. Anyway, if I ever try DSO AP I'll need one and probably a different camera. Since the Twilight II cost a relatively inexpensive $475 I understand I'll have to pay a lot more for an EQ.
-Michael
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I strongly suggest you refuse shipment on the camera when it arrives, Michael - otherwise you are doomed!!!!!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The blue pill or the red pill, I'm already down the rabbit hole...

-Michael

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

helicon wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:57 pm
BABOafrica wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm The coins looks great. Very nicely captured.

BABO
While I can take images of the moon with my Twilight II alt-az mount I realize I will have to get an equatorial for tracking the planets and for more rigidity, though the Twilight II is pretty stable. Anyway, if I ever try DSO AP I'll need one and probably a different camera. Since the Twilight II cost a relatively inexpensive $475 I understand I'll have to pay a lot more for an EQ.
Not just for AP, for planets too. You will see pretty soon that, at suitable magnification, the planets fly through the small sensor of a ZWO ASI120. Have no fear, swallow one of those pills and start a new thread about the mount! This is where you should go for 50 lbs. AP capacity at least to keep yourself from having to upgrade later on and spending again. I look forward to your next thread....
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
JayTee United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Michael,

You've seen my planetary and lunar images. All of those were taken on a tracking (motorized) Alt-Az mount. An EQ mount for planetary/lunar imaging is not a necessity.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

JayTee wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:21 pm Michael,

You've seen my planetary and lunar images. All of those were taken on a tracking (motorized) Alt-Az mount. An EQ mount for planetary/lunar imaging is not a necessity.

Cheers,
JT
Ah-ha. Thanks JT. Well, I'll start with the moon and take it from there. I've spent some of the afternoon here browsing the web for mounts. Those Losmandy ones sure are nice (if a bit on the steep side pricewise).
-Michael
BABOafrica Kenya

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

helicon wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm I've spent some of the afternoon here browsing the web for mounts. Those Losmandy ones sure are nice (if a bit on the steep side pricewise).
:observer:

You know you're in serious trouble when you start buying lottery tickets.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

helicon wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Cheers,
JT
Ah-ha. Thanks JT. Well, I'll start with the moon and take it from there. I've spent some of the afternoon here browsing the web for mounts. Those Losmandy ones sure are nice (if a bit on the steep side pricewise).
Yes the Losmandies are nice. The simplicity and rugged mechanical quality are beautiful. The HD tripod is very well constructed and is as solid as a pier. They are a piece of art and nice to looks at even if you don't do anything with it.

I agree with you about the price point; I opted for a G11S for $2495 IIRC that has no goto system just a 492 controller for tracking and guiding. As a result eventually I built my own OnStep controller with stepper motors. In general if you're not a DIY person you need to shell out the extra bucks for the Gemini system, that adds quite a bit to it.

As you may have read in my threads about the G11S, I was unable to set up the worms nice and tight. They have to be a bit loose or else stepper motors will bind up. The stronger Gemini motors may not, I don't know. The reason being, the large crown wheel is never perfectly round, heat expansion and contraction also plays a role. These are the reasons to keep the worms a bit loose and balance the mount East heavy. Once the worms are engaged the system works well.

Nowadays they sell the mounts with spring loaded worm gears. That should fix the problems that I had. In fact I added my own spring loaded contraption and from the one image I took with it, I can tell it really works. So make sure you get one with spring loaded worms and you'll be fine.

The mount with tripod is actually not as heavy as it looks because the tripod is mostly made of aluminum. Also, it is all American made and within driving reasonable distance for you should you ever need to visit them or want to pick it up.
lostone United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Check Agena Astro, Woodland Hill and Camera Concepts. I just placed an order for an ASI 2600.

On a side note, I've been thinking of selling my ASI 1600 with Filter Wheel and filters. I've upgraded those to the ASI6200.

helicon wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:31 pm I finally am going to pull the trigger on a monochrome camera for planetary imaging. Finally!!! I've been debating which camera to get and reading reviews and stuff like that. So I go to the highpoint scientific site this morning and see that all of the models are out of stock. Does anybody know of an online retailer who has some in stock?

I checked around and seem to see the same thing on other sites.

Thanks in Advance,

signed,

New AP guy
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Got the camera. Now I need to practice (and figure out what other stuff I need).
-Michael
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

OK, I am hopeful to begin experimentation in the next week or two, maybe at the next half moon. Right now it's a bright full moon. Kind of busy lately because of the holiday, etc. and an uptick on some projects I am trying to finish before the new year.
-Michael
JayTee United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Get your practice done and everything dialed in so you're ready for the December 21st Jupiter Saturn conjunction.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Greenman Great Britain

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Cheers,
JT
Yep, the same here - planetary is more forgiving, er, in some ways. It's the atmosphere more than the planets themselves that is the tricky customer.

Lucky imaging all the way...
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

JayTee wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm Get your practice done and everything dialed in so you're ready for the December 21st Jupiter Saturn conjunction.

Cheers,
JT
Oh Yeah JT!
-Michael
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Unfortunately I didn't get it set up in time for the conjunction. I did however, download the driver software and installed it as it was described in the instruction manual. Now I'm ready for some experimentation. It looks there are a lot of options as far as exposures/frames and other stuff. I was intrigued that you have to remove the lens before inserting it into the focuser (1.25") but it seems really cool that you can see the images on your laptop. The cord is USB 3.0 where it plugs into the camera and 2.0 where it plugs into the computer. Anyway, I'll figure it out. Should be lots of fun.
-Michael