Moon to the max!

Let's see your reports!
davesellars
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Moon to the max!

Post by davesellars »

Well, a new (to me) barlow arrrived yesterday morning - A Revelation Astro 1.25" 2.5x. Apparently this is identical to the GSO and an apochromatic 3 lens so in theory shouldn't introduce any CA into the mix. Having read a bit about it, it seems that this barlow actually functions more along the lines of a 2.1 to 2.2x barlow rather than it's stated 2.5x.

I actually bought it thinking it may work with the binoviewers but due to a complication of the binoviewers nosepiece fitting, it will not slot into the barlow... However, I needed a barlow anyway for mono mode particularly to use with my 7mm Pentax XW - I figured this with the barlow amplication would give somewhere around 3.1 to 3.2mm eyepiece focal length which should be still very useable with the 80ED and the 102 ED.

So... Luck would have it that clouds fully cleared around 7pm, the moon naked eye looked extremely steady in the still bright sky as we approached dusk. I was keen to try out the barlow so around 8:30pm I headed out with the 4" refractor. For a change it was not overly cold outside and suspected that the refractor would not need much cooling down time so I got right down to observing...

The seeing was pretty good - Using the 5mm Pentax for 143x the contrast is stunning with this refractor across the entire lunar surface. Some of lower contrast features like Plato really come alive and the occasional pock-mark of a craterlet (mainly the central one) shows up at this level. The mares also come alive with features on their surface.

Most of the interest though is at or close to the terminator and where there is much much higher contrast I've always though that these refractors are much more capable of increased power.

Starting with the 7mm Pentax for 230x the view was astonishingly good. Going back to Plato, the contrast had obviosly suffered a bit and was a little too much shimmering at this level for the craterlets. It was good to note that absolutely zero CA had been introduced with the use of the barlow.

Herodotus was magnificent with the starting point Schroters Valley coming off this showing intense depth and the Agricola mountains just to the north of this really quite prominent. The "horse-shoe" like feature of Prinz is also worth noting and actually this entire region is fully of interesting features that pop with the additional contrast at this illumination level.

With the libration tilting the Moon away from us on the north side, the large crater Babbage was almost side on, this allowed a fantastic three dimensional view with the depth and darkness of the main crater with the central almost perfectly formed crater that rises dramatically in the centre of Babbage.

Schickard was the next stopping point and another area of great detail and large contrast of the features really made the extra magnification of using the barlow worth it... I dared to try swapping the 7mm Pentax for the 5mm Pentax at this point which yielded approx 310x with (calculated) 2.3mm eyepiece focal length and 77x power per inch. I half expected this to be completely unusable however the opposite was true. While, oddly, I didn't experience any floaters with the 7mm Pentax and barlow combination, I did with the 5mm... However it was still very sharp in the moments of clarity and I noted that focus at this level was within a very small range. The seeing level was perhaps not quite sufficient to prolongued use, but I was amazed at the amount of contrast still given. The view was definitely not too dim and a wealth of detail was popping into view on the floor of Schickard with many craterlets and features in the walls of the main crater itself. Quite something!!!

I packed the scope up after an hour for something to eat and get some work done. At about 11pm I headed out again but with the 80ED and lighter eyepieces and the barlow. The seeing incredibly had got better. There were some wisps of high cloud about and seemed to be incoming as was forecast to cloud over. The 80ED with the 10mm BCO and barlow for approx 4.5mm seemed a touch sharper when I compared this with just using the 4mm TMB on its own and so I popped the 4mm TMB in the barlow for approx 1.8mm and around 330x and a completely ridiculous 106x power / inch... Expecting mush I was astonished to find that the refractor was supporting it amazingly well at this power and still great sharpness! The seeing was such that it was actually holding very steadily at this power and the mount was becoming more of an issue (was on the AZ4) so I had to take care a bit not to touch the eyepiece much to keep it steady. I went over Schickard and Herodotus again taking in the features at this level and enjoyed another 5 minutes scanning about before the clouds came in fully.

Next, if there's an opportunity while the moon is very bright I'll have to attempt some double star splits that are a bit more challenging for the 4" refractor.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Moon to the max!

Post by turboscrew »

Nice report. I guess I should start learning about moon.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

davesellars

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:43 pm Nice report. I guess I should start learning about moon.
Yes, you should! ;) Since I started observing it properly in Feb - I found it giving me many more observing sessions - when DSOs are sometimes a no-go because of the Moon or really bad transparency etc.
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A very nice report Dave, the Moon can take some ridiculous powers at times and still give good views.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Dave. A very nice lunar observing report from you. I am glad that the new (to you) Barlow has worked well with your telescopes. And "Selene" is always a beautiful target with so many surface features to enjoy. Thanks for your excellent and interesting observing report Dave and congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice report Dave and congrats on winning the VROD for your lunar excursions!

app.php/article/4-14-2011-tss-visual-report-of-the-day
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice lunar session Dave! Wait, no binoviewer? :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
davesellars

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 pm Nice lunar session Dave! Wait, no binoviewer? :)
Yeah, unfortunately the binoviewer will not fit into the barlow! Nevermind... I shall have to get one where the barlow lens screws off and fits onto it. Not a massive problem for now... it's a work in progress. However binoviewers with the 2x nosepiece and 25mm eyepieces should work as is the 12" dob... :) One to try for another night....
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
davesellars

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

Thanks all and for the VROD! :)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 598

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Note that I erroneously stated that the date was 4/14/2011 for some reason! I've edited so that the links work but...needed more sleep last night I guess...
:popcorn:
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session and reporting Dave. I have become more interested in the Moon of late. Adds to the observing opportunities 😀!

Congrats on the VROD recognition!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
John Baars Online Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice observations!
Congratulations on the VROD!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.