Another $50 hunk of metal!

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
smp Online United States of America
Articles: 0

Another $50 hunk of metal!

Post by smp »

SIGH!

I had my new iOptron Az Mount Pro out in the driveway for practice setup today. It started out as a nice day, a bit breezy but nice. About 50-50 clouds & Sun. I was able to get the mount nice and level, as indicated by the circular bubble level on the mount head.

So, since there are (somewhat less) patches of blue sky up there, and it's 50-50 sunny, why not try the TV-85 for some Solar viewing? OK!

I pulled out the TV-85, figuring that I'll have to reverse the mounting ring...

No dice at all. It appears that the $50 hunk of metal that I bought to fit the TV-85 to the Celestron NexStar mount is not a Vixen, but angled like a vixen on only one side and flat on the other, with a little cutout that I tightened the Celestron saddle screw thingie into:

https://agenaastro.com/televue-vixen-mo ... -1011.html

Too bad! That won't go onto the iOptron saddle at all. I went and took a look for a real Vixen bar and here it is:

https://agenaastro.com/agena-vixen-styl ... 180mm.html

With shipping, another $41.53. Guaranteed arrival by next Wednesday, June 19. So, I guess I lied a bit in the title - not quite another $50 hunk of metal, but close enough for me. :lol:

I now have a couple of those Tele Vue Vixen-adapter-plate-that-isn't-a-Vixen-dovetail, in case anyone is looking for one.

Anyway, I went to remove the Tele Vue mounting plate and switch around the mounting ring. Ha! the Allen Wrench set must be with my tools in the RV. Well, if I'm going to go into the RV, I might as well take the keys and run it a bit to charge up the batteries. Into the RV, and wow, the battery is dead, and the coach batteries are also dead. That hasn't happened before. Grabbed my trusty Li-ion booster battery, and opened the coach battery compartment. Oh! a nice big mouse nest on top of the batteries. Lots of moisture in there, too. That's not good. Dragged out the vacuum cleaner and a long extension cord. Got the mouse nest cleared out. Inspected all the zillion wires and fuses and everything that's in the compartment. Thankfully, no damage to anything there. One of the negative battery connections that had some sort of goopy insulation on it was all gone, courtesy of the mice, but that's it. Those critters must have some sort of psychic sense to stay away from live wires, thank goodness! Attach the booster battery. Check it - yep, all 4 lights, fully charged. Up to the cab and give it a try with both the vehicle and coach batteries, and, and, and, yes! It started up. Back to the coach battery compartment, and the Li-ion battery is quite hot, and no lights are showing at all. Pretty much fully depleted. Got the job done though!. Started the on-board generator to charge the coach batteries. Detached all that stuff, cleaned up a bit and closed up the coach battery compartment. Put away the vacuum cleaner and extension cord. Brought the booster battery inside to get it charged back up. Hopefully, in a couple of hours all the vehicle and coach batteries will be charged. I'll have to keep better track of how long I go between running the motor for that.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, get the Allen Wrench set and switch around the TV-85 mounting ring. Yeah, that should take too long... and, of course, now it's completely clouded over!

:joking:

Thanks for listening!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA); Vespera II (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Another $50 hunk of metal!

Post by Bigzmey »

I hear you Stephen! Mounting designs can get confusing, in particular because vendors also call them different names. The adapters don't come cheap either. I just bought a "D" style clamp $65 used for my mount which hopefully would fit losmandy plate.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Little by little, Steve. :-)
Thank goodness it's Friday!

I enjoyed reading your day.
Ozypic

Post by Ozypic »

Ah to many hobbies too many gadgets and nowadays lots of our purchases are online. You miss the chance to hold gadgets in your hand and think it all through. It puts me off buying all the time.
I managed to get to the big smoke and after much driving got to the astronomy shop just to find the article i wanted that was marked as " in stock " , wasnt ! Hmmmm
Very lucky those mice didn't chew a wire or cause a fire though , thats great , disaster averted ! And you wont be held up on your next trip away... good luck Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Jennifer Christine

Post by Jennifer Christine »

Take care. Completely discharged batteries may be unreliable as the plates get swollen and short out.
Scopes, 100x900, 102x500, 150x 1000, 200x2000, 200x 1260. 80x400.
Canon lenses 100 to 400 L series, 18 to 135 usm.
Mount's, 2x alt az, 2 x eq (adventurer an neq6pro.)
70dw cam. Ssag guider. Observatory and pier setup.
Binoculars Saxon 20x80.
FRIED wallet.