worm stuck on shaft while being removed LXD75

Discuss Meade mounts.
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: worm stuck on shaft while being removed LXD75

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:55 pm If you are referring to the vertical line in picture #3, that is a mold line from the casting process.
I have a box of EQ-5 parts somewhere around and will take a look for them tomorrow night to see if I can think of any issues removing things.
I have done quite a few hyper-tune on EQ-5 mounts and have not had this issue before.
I wasn't meaning specifically that vertical line, but yes, it would have been nice for them to smooth it out a bit more all considering. I was agreeing how easily I could see flakes falling off inside like you mentioned. This particular lxd75, although the hypertune mostly follows the cg-5 version, you can see on the astronomyboy site with the guide that he mentions multiple revisions with altered parts. For example, I have an additional two ball bearings in the dec axis. And even the exploded view I posted at the start, it's basically the same thing, but some of the parts look slightly different, like a revision.
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

When it rains it pours lol. So I moved on to the RA axis, remove the polar scope and every single set screw and screw I could find.....and the collar won't come off. And this is coming from a retired plumber!! I certainly have lots of experience having to unseize joints and unscrew old stuck things. From the sounds of things, they liked to use locktite on this part (whyyyyyy???????) So just have to figure out how to get heat on the part without melting any washers or crushing the metal :roll:
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Considering where I started and the very rough shape....I'm going to take this as a win :) If anyone wants to know the procedure I used, let me know. I know that trying to find lxd75 instructions was certainly tougher than expected for this kind of thing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12LTKmm ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OXR79 ... sp=sharing

In fact, I may update this thread with a few more bits of info to pay it forward
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Meet Mr or Mrs pain in the ass! aka: The thread locked RA Polar scope and RA Clock dial assembly!! The scratches seen were with a 4x protective layer between the channel lock teeth and the ring to give you an idea of the amount of force necessary. And this is all after multiple rounds with a torch to the inside shaft body and this piece itself. PLEASE NOTE: You MUST take out the polar scope AND the black O ring that's inside between this piece and shaft if you are going to torch or heat it beyond a certain point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ZmM9r ... sp=sharing
Canon T1i stock