What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 2022 What have you been up to lately?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Pretty nails are a big part of us girls wanting to look good Michael (no matter what your age happens to be), and I am pleased to be able to give that feeling to someone.

I have clients coming to me from young girls to the more mature ladies. I bring a smile to all their faces, which is my biggest reward :icon-smile:

Apart from passing the “Beauty and Complementary Therapies“ course at college (a few years ago), I have a VTCT Level 3 NVQ diploma in nail technology.

This qualification allows me to be employed in a salon or work from home.

I prefer to be my own boss, so I work from home :D

I could, of course, open my own salon and still be my own boss but I don't have a 'business' head to be able to run premises like that :| Plus, I don't have the overheads working from home that a commercial building would have.

Sophia and I are in a very fortunate financial position that neither of us really need to work, but we do so because we enjoy what we do.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

I'm in the process of getting a new job. Had it out with the owner of the garage I worked at for the last time. 21 years there as his only mechanic and I get told I'm stupid and useless. A lot of his customers have told me that I'm the only reason they came there. He's on his own now. I'm moving on. I've been a mechanic for 37 years and I'm burnt out. I have an interview this Tuesday for a job at an Amazon warehouse. It's night shift but I'll get used to that. It's 3 12 hour shifts and I'll make more than I did working 5 days at the garage, plus benefits. This last job gave me NO benefits. Besides, night shift means I'm up all night and asleep all day...sounds like a perfect schedule for a novice amateur astronomer!
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Razz wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:30 pm I'm in the process of getting a new job. Had it out with the owner of the garage I worked at for the last time. 21 years there as his only mechanic and I get told I'm stupid and useless. A lot of his customers have told me that I'm the only reason they came there. He's on his own now. I'm moving on. I've been a mechanic for 37 years and I'm burnt out. I have an interview this Tuesday for a job at an Amazon warehouse. It's night shift but I'll get used to that. It's 3 12 hour shifts and I'll make more than I did working 5 days at the garage, plus benefits. This last job gave me NO benefits. Besides, night shift means I'm up all night and asleep all day...sounds like a perfect schedule for a novice amateur astronomer!
Good for you!

I'm a cynical person, I probably would have said "You're a pretty bad business owner to have hired and employ a stupid and useless person for 21 years 😂
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

We went down to the beach last night with my 7yo granddaughter to watch some NYE fireworks set off from the end of our local jetty. After the fireworks finished the ISS crossed almost overhead, mag. -3.5, and my granddaughter watched the whole transit while I explained about it.
On the way home her dad asked what she liked best about the evening. "Watching the space station!" was the reply! :)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Went to the job interview. Just waiting on the results of the background check and drug test. Neither of which I'm worried about. If all goes well, I start on the 19th. With the next few weeks off there is only one thing to do...work on my astrophotography skills and hope I get at least one clear night!
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 2023 What have you been up to lately?

Post by Nakedgun »

~

Watching cloud bottoms, mostly.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nakedgun wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm Watching cloud bottoms, mostly.
Yep. +1.

I did put a small steel plate on my 72ED OTA so I can put my Wixey on it. And I scored a pristine copy of Norton's 2000.0 for $7 at Half Price Books.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

After 2.5 weeks of a relative invasion for the holiday the last have returned home this morning.
2 whole days of quiet before work!
Most likely 2 days of cleaning, re-organizing and trying to figure out where things ended up. :lol:
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Had to take the car into Midas this morning. Sort of an acceleration problem. Could be a fuel filter, injector, or a bad setting in the computer.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nursing the kitten after her spaying operation, she doesn't know what happened to her.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Last year, I received an email message from Zambia. I was about to dismiss it as phishing when the name "Chitambo" caught my eye. In 2001, I went to Zambia and did some volunteer eye safety education in a village called Kapini. While there I stayed in the home of Gideon, his wife Florence and their three children, Chisenga (9), Chitambo (7) and Musa (5). Florence was pregnant with a 4th child when I was there, she gave birth to a daughter later that year.
chitambo1.jpeg
chitambo1.jpeg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

This is Chitambo aged 7 in 2001.
chisengchitambogilbert.jpeg
chisengchitambogilbert.jpeg (7.98 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

The two older brothers and a friend appeared at the door of the hut soon after my arrival.
chitambo&musa.jpeg
chitambo&musa.jpeg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

These are pictures of Chitambo with his younger brother Musa.
chitambowashing.jpeg
Gideon(the father) tragically contracted and died of meningitis the following summer. The family was pushed out of their home and land by Gideon's brothers and I lost contact with them. I always wondered what happened to Florence and the kids.

21 years later, I get an email from Chitambo who was 7 years old in 2001 now 28. Well, as often happens in Africa, life was pretty difficult for them. Florence remarried someone who physically abused her. Chitambo's older brother Chisenga, drowned while swimming in a river when he was 13 years old. The family moved around quite a lot.
circleoffriends1.jpeg
circleoffriends1.jpeg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
. The boy at the front looing at the camera is Chisenga(9) who drowned 4 years later.

chitambo.jpeg
IMG-20220829-WA0033.jpg
IMG-20220810-WA0045.jpg
This is Chitambo, his younger brother Musa, now 26, and their mother Florence.
IMG_20220829_130957.jpg
IMG_20220103_073432.jpg
Chitambo used his mobile phone and searched on the name of his old village and to his surprise found my eclipse report with a number of pictures of himself as a child in the report. He didn't remember me but his mother, still alive and well, did. He also asked his mother who the other children in the photo were and she told him they were all his best friends and an inseparable pack back then.

Somehow, in the midst of all the obstacles life threw at him, he managed to get himself through both school and university and qualified as a teacher. During the year, Chitambo and a colleague started their own small and very modest private school.
School.jpeg
They were struggling because they were running short of funds could not get approval for a bank loan for extra start-up money. They were struggling to pay rent on buildings and buy enough furniture for the school to grow its student numbers.

After some contemplation and checking to make sure he really was who he claimed to be, I loaned them some money. It was not a lot, in the realm of what you might call "microfinance," and an amount that I can afford to lose if things go bad and they can't repay the loan.

It's been a source of great pleasure to see what they have achieved in a very short time. The money enabled them to pay rent, buy extra seats and desks, hire two more teachers and the school is now growing rapidly. They had 108 students before the loan with other students on a waiting list when the school could increase numbers of seats, desks and other infrastructure. I think the day school has almost doubled since I sent them the loan.
kids.jpeg

They have also launched a night school teaching adult vocational skills in areas like ICT, Tailoring and clothing design, Cosmetics and beauty, Art & Design, Food and Production, Secretarial Skills.
night classes.jpeg

He says if things go well, he'll be able to pay back the loan in the next 3-6 months. I'm just happy to see things going so well and I'm flexible on the repayments if they come at all. I might just tell him to treat it as a donation that they can use as an operating buffer but for now, I want to see if he operates the school into a financial position where he offers to pay me back.

Well that's my feel good news story of 2022 and I am looking forward to hearing more updates on how they're going during 2023.

Happy New Year to all.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:19 pm
Nakedgun wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm Watching cloud bottoms, mostly.
Yep. +1.

I did put a small steel plate on my 72ED OTA so I can put my Wixey on it. And I scored a pristine copy of Norton's 2000.0 for $7 at Half Price Books.
~

What's a "Wixey"?

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Gonna try this again. Wasn't thinking and put it in the 2022 version...

Went to the job interview. Just waiting on the results of the background check and drug test. Neither of which I'm worried about. If all goes well, I start on the 19th. With the next few weeks off there is only one thing to do...work on my astrophotography skills and hope I get at least one clear night!

Bill
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Digital angle gauge. Use with a DIY az circle and coords from SkySafari. Pretty accurate as long as the Wixey is calibrated.
wixey.jpg
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

pakarinen wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:04 pm Digital angle gauge. Use with a DIY az circle and coords from SkySafari. Pretty accurate as long as the Wixey is calibrated.

wixey.jpg
Very crafty :)
Almost like electronic DSC.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:52 am Last year, I received an email message from Zambia. I was about to dismiss it as phishing when the name "Chitambo" caught my eye. In 2001, I went to Zambia and did some volunteer eye safety education in a village called Kapini. While there I stayed in the home of Gideon, his wife Florence and their three children, Chisenga (9), Chitambo (7) and Musa (5). Florence was pregnant with a 4th child when I was there, she gave birth to a daughter later that year.

chitambo1.jpeg
This is Chitambo aged 7 in 2001.

chisengchitambogilbert.jpeg.

The two older brothers and a friend appeared at the door of the hut soon after my arrival.

chitambo&musa.jpeg.

These are pictures of Chitambo with his younger brother Musa.

chitambowashing.jpeg.
Gideon(the father) tragically contracted and died of meningitis the following summer. The family was pushed out of their home and land by Gideon's brothers and I lost contact with them. I always wondered what happened to Florence and the kids.

21 years later, I get an email from Chitambo who was 7 years old in 2001 now 28. Well, as often happens in Africa, life was pretty difficult for them. Florence remarried someone who physically abused her. Chitambo's older brother Chisenga, drowned while swimming in a river when he was 13 years old. The family moved around quite a lot.

circleoffriends1.jpeg. The boy at the front looing at the camera is Chisenga(9) who drowned 4 years later.

chitambo.jpeg
IMG-20220829-WA0033.jpg
IMG-20220810-WA0045.jpg

This is Chitambo, his younger brother Musa, now 26, and their mother Florence.

IMG_20220829_130957.jpg
IMG_20220103_073432.jpg

Chitambo used his mobile phone and searched on the name of his old village and to his surprise found my eclipse report with a number of pictures of himself as a child in the report. He didn't remember me but his mother, still alive and well, did. He also asked his mother who the other children in the photo were and she told him they were all his best friends and an inseparable pack back then.

Somehow, in the midst of all the obstacles life threw at him, he managed to get himself through both school and university and qualified as a teacher. During the year, Chitambo and a colleague started their own small and very modest private school.
School.jpeg.
They were struggling because they were running short of funds could not get approval for a bank loan for extra start-up money. They were struggling to pay rent on buildings and buy enough furniture for the school to grow its student numbers.

After some contemplation and checking to make sure he really was who he claimed to be, I loaned them some money. It was not a lot, in the realm of what you might call "microfinance," and an amount that I can afford to lose if things go bad and they can't repay the loan.

It's been a source of great pleasure to see what they have achieved in a very short time. The money enabled them to pay rent, buy extra seats and desks, hire two more teachers and the school is now growing rapidly. They had 108 students before the loan with other students on a waiting list when the school could increase numbers of seats, desks and other infrastructure. I think the day school has almost doubled since I sent them the loan.

kids.jpeg.

They have also launched a night school teaching adult vocational skills in areas like ICT, Tailoring and clothing design, Cosmetics and beauty, Art & Design, Food and Production, Secretarial Skills.

night classes.jpeg.

He says if things go well, he'll be able to pay back the loan in the next 3-6 months. I'm just happy to see things going so well and I'm flexible on the repayments if they come at all. I might just tell him to treat it as a donation that they can use as an operating buffer but for now, I want to see if he operates the school into a financial position where he offers to pay me back.

Well that's my feel good news story of 2022 and I am looking forward to hearing more updates on how they're going during 2023.

Happy New Year to all.

Joe
A great story Joe, and well done for making it happen!

Hopefully all will continue to improve for them. It is wonderful to hear good news and see positive things happening: and to be reminded that there is good in the world!

All the best for 2023,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by ewomack »

Sadly, it's been far too cold here to observe outside for quite a while. So, for now, when I look up I need to learn to appreciate the patterns of spray particles on the ceiling. I did order a copy of the highly recommended book "Turn Left at Orion," so I'll gulp that up soon. Somehow, I managed to read exactly 60 books in 2022, despite having a full-time job and at least some semblance of a life. Only 4 of those books related to astronomy, though, so I'll have to remedy that this year. I'm definitely looking forward to warmer weather and finding things in the sky.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Just got confirmation yesterday afternoon, floor tickets up front.
Road trip to Praha this summer! :D
Kabat.jpg
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I started prepping for the Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) to be held in April. A group of us set up a Classic Telescopes booth that includes mostly telescopes from the 1950s through the 1980s. While still a long time off, because of COVID, we haven't done one in several years...and it takes some time for this oldie to get organized! Besides cleaning and doing any minor repairs to scopes, we display unique accessories and era appropriate documentation. In my case I also provide a slide show that summarizes the history of Nihon Seiko/Unitron USA.

NEAF2015_Booth.jpg

It's always a fun event!

Dave
Last edited by Unitron48 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I hope you have a great time Dave. I would love to go to NEAF though I would likely spend way to much money!
Gabrielle