What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 2022 What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

This cold rainy weather has made me realize that all my hobbies are outdoor ones.

So, I sit here and play with the new kitty, her hobby apparently is making me bleed with her sharp claws lol
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Ylem wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:37 pm
.... So, I sit here and play with the new kitty, her hobby apparently is making me bleed with her sharp claws lol
Ouch! Meow.... :|
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

The water line from the street to my house has sprung a leak and has flooded the yard :(
The plumber should be here Thursday.

Such fun!
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

I've been doing what I can to insulate/heat my basement. Every year for the last 6 or so, mostly in January, my water freezes as well as my sump. I end up standing in about 15" of COLD water trying to get my frozen water lines thawed and, of course, fixing all the leaks (read as I'm now an expert at cpvc). Finally got tired of that. In the last few weeks, I installed a 220 volt Mr.Heater as well as blocked up the windows with insulation, found any areas that were allowing cold air in and blocked/insulated them (yea, I have an old house) Hopefully, it'll make a difference...
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

@Ylem
The water line from the street to my house has sprung a leak and has flooded the yard :(

Such fun!

Local dam sprung a leak here too following a bit of recent rain The video is of the water topping the dam, sluice gates can't cope. 230 billion litres per day.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 85d527e8e7

Compare that to the normal appearance of the dam spillway.
https://visitcowra.com.au/wyangala-dam

Fortunately for me, my home is on high ground. I'm about 40km south of the Lachlan river near Cowra. The inrush to the river makes some of my local creeks back up which affects access to my village. Water rises up over the small bridge into the village and also over some of the backroads and highways giving us access to the surrounding towns for food and fuel. My village is so small there isn't even a shop. Fortunately, there is no high impact flooding here.

In this regional road closure map, look mainly at the blue and orange dots.
Blue dots represent road closures due to water over the road,
Orange dots are road works or road damage, usually due to flood damage.
Yellow dots mark locations of car break downs.
The inset is around where I live with water over some of the highways and country roads
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at  copy.JPG
I'm not complaining. In some towns of this region shown in the above news story, flood waters have completely submerged every house and business in the town with water over the roof. Some houses were washed away and relocated to another part of the town. It is predicted to stop raining by April.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:55 am @Ylem

Such fun!

Local dam sprung a leak here too following a bit of recent rain The video is of the water topping the dam, sluice gates can't cope. 230 billion litres per day.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 85d527e8e7

Compare that to the normal appearance of the dam spillway.
https://visitcowra.com.au/wyangala-dam

Fortunately for me, my home is on high ground. I'm about 40km south of the Lachlan river near Cowra. The inrush to the river makes some of my local creeks back up which affects access to my village. Water rises up over the small bridge into the village and also over some of the backroads and highways giving us access to the surrounding towns for food and fuel. My village is so small there isn't even a shop. Fortunately, there is no high impact flooding here.

In this regional road closure map, look mainly at the blue and orange dots.
Blue dots represent road closures due to water over the road,
Orange dots are road works or road damage, usually due to flood damage.
Yellow dots mark locations of car break downs.
The inset is around where I live with water over some of the highways and country roads
Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at copy.JPG

I'm not complaining. In some towns of this region shown in the above news story, flood waters have completely submerged every house and business in the town with water over the roof. Some houses were washed away and relocated to another part of the town. It is predicted to stop raining by April.

Joe

~
Good Luck!

I do love the desert southwest here in the U.S. and would probably prefer the desert southwest if I lived in OZ, as well.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Nakedgun wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:16 am ~
Good Luck!

I do love the desert southwest here in the U.S. and would probably prefer the desert southwest if I lived in OZ, as well.
Thanks but I don't need luck.

When looking for a house, fire and flood resistance were high on the list.

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

Ylem wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:17 am The water line from the street to my house has sprung a leak and has flooded the yard :(
Such fun!
I had that happen this past spring. Woke up to a little geyser in the front yard which flooded back yard + the neighbors back yard. Since it was between the main line out by the street and my meter, I called the city.
They had a crew out within several hours and started digging. Seemed it was due to a joint that popped because of ground shifting (six feet down if you can believe that). Had it repaired by the afternoon.
Came back next day, filled the hole and layed down new grass seed. Didn't cost a thing.
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Well we had defective flooring installed in our new home and it all had to be replaced it was a pain but we now have new and improved flooring thru out the house
Attachments
26562B3B-1AA3-4D55-BF4B-A6FAE7A7741E.jpeg
079BCCC5-1283-4C4A-AB65-AAFFA1265144.jpeg
5D5A01B0-A699-4102-9266-BECCA85199C9.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

515bonner wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:05 am
Ylem wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:17 am The water line from the street to my house has sprung a leak and has flooded the yard :(
Such fun!
I had that happen this past spring. Woke up to a little geyser in the front yard which flooded back yard + the neighbors back yard. Since it was between the main line out by the street and my meter, I called the city.
They had a crew out within several hours and started digging. Seemed it was due to a joint that popped because of ground shifting (six feet down if you can believe that). Had it repaired by the afternoon.
Came back next day, filled the hole and layed down new grass seed. Didn't cost a thing.
It happened several times here in the past 22 years. Usually when it gets cold, pipe contracts and a joint gives out.

It's only down about a 15" lol, the ground rarely freezes here. I have fixed it myself when I was younger, now I just give the plumber about the cost of a small ED scope. :(
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:01 pm Well we had defective flooring installed in our new home and it all had to be replaced it was a pain but we now have new and improved flooring through out the house
That happened to us Frank, they kept sending guys to fix it.
Then I had Wifey call them, that's when they finally just replaced it.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Ylem wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:36 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:01 pm Well we had defective flooring installed in our new home and it all had to be replaced it was a pain but we now have new and improved flooring through out the house
That happened to us Frank, they kept sending guys to fix it.
Then I had Wifey call them, that's when they finally just replaced it.
Yeah I was pretty patient with the distributor of the flooring turns out there was a whole lot batch that was wrong or defective it was six houses totaled that were affected by the defective flooring and he told me that my house was the worst yet I was the most polite to him and he appreciated it.
They kept calling it the Covid flooring, they said it because it was made during the height of Covid and all six houses that the stuff was installed in they all had the same problem the sections of flooring one cup or curl up at the end’s.
We waited months but they finally( The manufacturer) came around and realized it was the flooring.
It was 5 days of keeping my hound dogs outside while they were working .
Hey I noticed that you’re in Charlotte North Carolina I’m down here in Myrtle Beach South Carolina we’re almost neighbors lol!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

My aquarium just seems to have too much algae, so last week I picked up a Pleco (algae eater).

I figured it would take a lifetime for him to eat it all, one week later it's completely clean and now have to buy algae wafers for him to eat!😆
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Ylem wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:29 pm My aquarium just seems to have too much algae, so last week I picked up a Pleco (algae eater).

I figured it would take a lifetime for him to eat it all, one week later it's completely clean and now have to buy algae wafers for him to eat!😆
In Australia, there is a company that hires out small herds of goats to property owners and managers. They eat weeds from inaccessible areas on the properties they are deployed then move on to the next job. Maybe you could do the same, hire out your Pleco to other aquarium owners in the area?

Joe
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Took a beginners' pickleball class yesterday. Lots of fun and got me moving on a lazy Sunday. I'm told it can be hard to find courts though b/c it's become quite popular here.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 pm Took a beginners' pickleball class yesterday. Lots of fun and got me moving on a lazy Sunday. I'm told it can be hard to find courts though b/c it's become quite popular here.
There's my new word for the day: "pickleball". I looked it up and discovered it has recently been introduced here in South Oz (about the same time as COVID...). Looks interesting. Have fun! :)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

I had to look up 'pickleball' too.

Have fun with that Olen.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Pickleball was(is?) popular around here. Considering the average age in QB is something like 68 its not a big suprise :)
I recall some noise complaints from people near the courts, guessing it is louder than tennis? Anyway, enjoy. It is good to get out and about.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Baking for holidays, I was up until 01:00 finishing things.
It still smells like butter tarts and raspberry cookies this morning :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am Baking for holidays, I was up until 01:00 finishing things.
It still smells like butter tarts and raspberry cookies this morning :)
That sounds delicious Gabrielle :drool:

Can I come round and have a taste - please :pray: :lol:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.