What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Thefatkitty »

@Frankskywatcher Frank, you are the best for doing that. Embarrassing to admit, but I had watery eyes reading that and looking at the pics... You warmed my heart on a very cold night here.
I hope it works out well for the you and the pooches; keep us posted!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:22 am @Frankskywatcher Frank, you are the best for doing that. Embarrassing to admit, but I had watery eyes reading that and looking at the pics... You warmed my heart on a very cold night here.
I hope it works out well for the you and the pooches; keep us posted!

All the best,
Oh, I can totally relate. I was brought close to tears more than once.
This is a video from where they were before they got rescued I hope it will upload
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@Frankskywatcher
I can’t see it Frank. Did you use the Attachments tab below the text window?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm @Frankskywatcher
This is driving me crazy my friend. I know that I uploaded a video once before to the forum,it was a video of Venus but I can’t remember how I uploaded it from flicker.
I’m trying to upload this video to show you where the dogs were before we rescued them but for the life of me I can’t remember how to upload a video from flick it to this forum. Gonna keep on trying.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197471658@N06/
Well, this link will at least take you to my photo stream and then you’ll see the video of the junkyard dogs but I know there’s a way to just copy the hyperlink and then post it, but I haven’t been able to.
I also just read your text when you said, did you use the attachment tab below the text window no I did not. I was trying to copy the hyperlink from Flickr itself.
I did not try to use the attachment tab because it’s not just an image it was a video
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:17 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm @Frankskywatcher
This is driving me crazy my friend. I know that I uploaded a video once before to the forum,it was a video of Venus but I can’t remember how I uploaded it from flicker.
I’m trying to upload this video to show you where the dogs were before we rescued them but for the life of me I can’t remember how to upload a video from flick it to this forum. Gonna keep on trying.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197471658@N06/
Well, this link will at least take you to my photo stream and then you’ll see the video of the junkyard dogs but I know there’s a way to just copy the hyperlink and then post it, but I haven’t been able to.
I also just read your text when you said, did you use the attachment tab below the text window no I did not. I was trying to copy the hyperlink from Flickr itself.
I did not try to use the attachment tab because it’s not just an image it was a video

I saw it Frank.
Makes me angry to see how these beautiful pups were treated.
Thank you for helping them.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Surprise clearing last night :dance: , so I did a little moon-moon even though it's a little too close to full for my tastes. Also surprised to see clear sky pre-dawn today so I thought I'd check U Sge for eclipse, but no bueno. :(
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 pm I ordered an Ooma box as a Wifi-based telephone after I had to return my work cell phone. Curious how that works. I may get a cell phone later to replace the one I had for work that I returned.
Well, this one is going to be returned, unfortunately. It is more trouble than I had anticipated for not enough benefit. If I had nothing else maybe I'd keep it but since I will be getting a cell phone anyway it tips the scale that way.
SkyHiker wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 pm I also ordered a 4-bay Synology server with 3 4-TB hard disks. I want to set up 2 of them as RAID, and the 3rd one as backup disk, also for some of the RAID data. I may add a 4th disk later on. Should be good for setting up SVN, VPN, cloud, backup, encryption, file server, and a lot more. I used one at work and found it very convenient to configure, it worked flawlessly. I want something better than just a laptop with a backup disk.
I finally got it going but it was more trouble than I expected. One main feature, SVN, was no longer supported with the current OS DSMv7 so I had to revert to DSMv6, and that was not easy at all. It took me a day to figure it out, but I learned the ropes and learned doing things from a command shell as root to fix and customize things so that's a positive. It's a bit unsettling that they made major changes while dropping support for what they apparently think are obsolete features. Anyway, it's all good for now and I should be able to set up a cloud and share pictures directly without depending on 3rd parties.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Enjoying the day. Finally bright sunshine. To be honest, it has been gloomy here over the winter, looking forward to Spring. If all goes well will get in a session tonight.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

I've been enjoying my new job at Amazon. It's a million times better than my last one. I make more money for less hours and I now get these things called "benefits". I had to research that as I forgot what they were! I do not miss being a mechanic in the slightest. I was surprised how many people from other countries work there. It's great because I find it interesting to hear about where they came from. I have a very low tolerance for stupid which is why I always tried to avoid groups of people. Now, I've realized it's not the group of people that irritates me, it's the group of English speaking people that grate on my nerves. The foreign people tend to group up and speak their own languages, on break for example. I can't understand them so I don't know if they're being stupid or not! It's GREAT!
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Razz wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:22 pm The foreign people tend to group up and speak their own languages... I can't understand them so I don't know if they're being stupid or not! It's GREAT!
Well, if they're looking your way and laughing, there are a few key words in different languages you might want to know. :lol:

I am waiting for spring. And some CLEAR FREAKING SKIES again! Thank you, that is all.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Hello everyone!!!
I am happy to report that I am BACK! It's a long story - but we've been without internet for almost 9 weeks. January 8th we had internet and on Monday morning the 9th no more. Our ISP's phone was disconnected, their emails bounced, and I personally went to their offices which were vacated. I then called Frontier Communication - our local phone company which had recently been advertising Fiber optic connect in 24 hours. Nope - 2 1/2 weeks. So I ordered it. The day came and no one showed up. Call the company and after switching departments 5 times we found that our account was in collections - which the collections people denied - we've been a customer for 33 years. So we had to resetup the entire procedure - 2 1/2 more weeks. And guess what? Nope - they didn't show up again. This time it was a mysterious code that nobody could figure out. Again, 5 different departments and finally one guy was able to tell me the code and what it was - mind you not what it meant. I figured it out - we have a DSL connection with a fixed IP address. Why that should inhibit a fiber optic connection is beyond me. So again - another 2 1/2 weeks. I screamed bloody murder and was connected to a customer rep who said she would move us up in priority and call me back the next day. And guess what? Yep - she didn't. I told her I'd go to another provider if I didn't hear from her. So, I call Earthlink. 3 weeks they said. And guess what? They too did not show up. But somebody did call me and say he'd show up in 15 minutes to install. Imagine my surprise when I answered the door and it was a Frontier Communication tech - with two of their trucks. Oh the irony! So last Friday night we finally got internet back, and I'm just about caught up on the backlog of emails.

I haven't even begun to scroll through the message boards here. And the weather this winter has been so BAD! the only clear nights have had howling winds... I have not taken a photo since November 20th. It's nice to be back... so cheers!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Star Dad wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:37 pm Hello everyone!!!
I am happy to report that I am BACK! It's a long story...
Holy Jamoly, that's just nuts.
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

Star Dad wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:37 pm Hello everyone!!!
I am happy to report that I am BACK! It's a long story - but we've been without internet for almost 9 weeks. January 8th we had internet and on Monday morning the 9th no more. Our ISP's phone was disconnected, their emails bounced, and I personally went to their offices which were vacated. I then called Frontier Communication - our local phone company which had recently been advertising Fiber optic connect in 24 hours. Nope - 2 1/2 weeks. So I ordered it. The day came and no one showed up. Call the company and after switching departments 5 times we found that our account was in collections - which the collections people denied - we've been a customer for 33 years. So we had to resetup the entire procedure - 2 1/2 more weeks. And guess what? Nope - they didn't show up again. This time it was a mysterious code that nobody could figure out. Again, 5 different departments and finally one guy was able to tell me the code and what it was - mind you not what it meant. I figured it out - we have a DSL connection with a fixed IP address. Why that should inhibit a fiber optic connection is beyond me. So again - another 2 1/2 weeks. I screamed bloody murder and was connected to a customer rep who said she would move us up in priority and call me back the next day. And guess what? Yep - she didn't. I told her I'd go to another provider if I didn't hear from her. So, I call Earthlink. 3 weeks they said. And guess what? They too did not show up. But somebody did call me and say he'd show up in 15 minutes to install. Imagine my surprise when I answered the door and it was a Frontier Communication tech - with two of their trucks. Oh the irony! So last Friday night we finally got internet back, and I'm just about caught up on the backlog of emails.

I haven't even begun to scroll through the message boards here. And the weather this winter has been so BAD! the only clear nights have had howling winds... I have not taken a photo since November 20th. It's nice to be back... so cheers!
~

What a nightmare!

We had Verizon DSL, which Frontier bought when Verizon dumped wired service some years back.

No interruptions for years, then about a year ago there were several connection issues which Frontier techs were unable to completely resolve, so we upgraded to fiber optic.

No problems (yet), faster speeds, and it costs less!

Now, if I could just find a way to lower my energy bills.....

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Wow Star Dad, this is crazy. Nobody shows up, nobody has answers, and nobody knows what they are doing for 9 weeks! I am glad to see that things are back to normal (whatever that is) and you have a lot of catching up to do now. Thanks for your report Star Dad and it's good to see you back on TSS again.
:text-welcomewave: BACK
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Prospective new employer said they were going to check my professional references today. :pray:
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I have just done a nail art session for a very keen cat (feline) lover.

It seemed appropriate to share this here as quite as few of our members are also cat lovers, so I thought they would appreciate it :pray:

Although I can do nail designs by hand, I can also apply decals of any design imaginable.

This lady had brought her own cat designs with her that she had purchased online. She wanted a base layer of white polish (as per the photograph which she also supplied). I then used my nail lamp to thoroughly dry the polish before applying the decals which are first soaked in water. Patting them dry in place I then applied a clear varnish as an added protection for the decals.

They are so much easier to apply than doing the design by hand.

The photo below shows the result the client wanted, and she was very happy.

Cat-Kitten-nailart.jpg
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

It has been a few months. I do tend to go into hermit mode from time to time.

I was diagnosed with cancer (again) end of last summer and decided to go with surgery rather than radiation. Had it in mid January. Recovery is taking longer than I expected. Of course I've never been stabbed in the gut with a broadsword before. Surgeon said it went well and looks like they got it all? I have my first blood test and major follow up in early May so will find out then. Some immediate things to contend with like weakened bladder control but it is improving and other effects which will hopefully fade in the next few months and others are permanent but it is what it is. I am fortunate to live in BC which has a great support network and also covers this cancer (and 16 others) as work related injuries for firefighters as long as you have a certain length of service. So, 2 down and 15 to go :P but I really don't think I want to collect the whole set. One tip I have for anyone going in for surgery is to pop by the $store and pick up one of those reach extender clamp things because if you drop something on the floor the first week or three, well that is where its going to live for a while.

Astronomy wise, I have not done much observing save for going out on the deck on a rare clear night and spotting C/2022 E3 (ZTF) with my binoculars. The only new kit I have is one of the celestron table top tripods. Figured it would be easier to pack around than the full sized tripod and for using it with kids or my smaller scopes. I have also started a spreadsheet tracking the lifespans of people in astronomy and who was comtemporary with whom and who was first with what. Nothing scholarly, just what I come across on the net. Has led me down a few day long rabbit holes.

Our two dogs are doing fine. Fionn turned 16 and his eyesight and hearing are going but still ready for a walk. The recharge period is just longer now and it can be a discussion to get him out of a warm bed sometimes. Rory is doing well. Still a little skittish but we have been able to get him out on walks. He is nervouse but well behaved when we meet someone. He spent his first 4 years locked in a trailer so has come a long way from the terrified pup we got two years back. Suprising that he does not have a mean bone in his body considering what he went through.

Well I could babble more but like everyone I am just waiting for winter to realize what time of year it is and get its bags packed.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:40 pm I have just done a nail art session for a very keen cat (feline) lover.

It seemed appropriate to share this here as quite as few of our members are also cat lovers, so I thought they would appreciate it :pray:

Although I can do nail designs by hand, I can also apply decals of any design imaginable.

This lady had brought her own cat designs with her that she had purchased online. She wanted a base layer of white polish (as per the photograph which she also supplied). I then used my nail lamp to thoroughly dry the polish before applying the decals which are first soaked in water. Patting them dry in place I then applied a clear varnish as an added protection for the decals.

They are so much easier to apply than doing the design by hand.

The photo below shows the result the client wanted, and she was very happy.

Cat-Kitten-nailart.jpg
Wow, that's beautiful Vanessa! My wife wants them!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

You have been through a very traumatic experience Chich, both physically and mentally. It will take some time to bounce back from that, but take baby steps.

Your body will heal in its own time.

I hope the procedure was successful so follow-up steps are extremely necessary. Be positive and I hope all goes well for your future.

Dogs also are also able to bounce back from traumatic events. You have obviously given them a stable and loving home, which helps immensely with their 'recovery' process.

Take care Chich.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Sophia and I sometimes go through phases of watching certain genres of movies at home :popcorn:

Currently we are watching Vampire and Zombie movies. Last night we watched a zombie movie called "Resident Evil" :o

There have been a few follow-ons made so we are going to watch the next one at least. Pretty scary but we weren't hiding behind the sofa all the time :lol:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.