What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Returned from Praha Rocks this evening, Eclipse, Wolfmother, Kabát, Def Leppard and Mötley Crue. 9 hours of rock, a great time.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Put up a second shed. Trying to get the patio looking more like a place to relax and less like a construction zone.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Hiked Lonesome Lake and Cannon Mountain in the White Mountains while visiting my son. Very rocky and steep but a lot of fun and good exercise. Last week I attended his commencement ceremonies. Tomorrow I'll be heading back home.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

We have a fire! :)

About 100ha and across the valley 4ish km away. There are crews, tankers and some heavy equipment on it. Pretty steep and rocky so I expect it will get larger before they have it pinned down. Difficult area for ground crews to work in.

Kind of odd being on the outside looking in.
20230606_163115.jpg
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I drove all day from 6:15 AM to 4:30 PM to get to the Kaibab star party. The drive was fine, the North side is gorgeous as ever. Vast meadows, forests, buffalos, hiking trails, fabulous vistas, Bortle 0 skies. I just met with Martin Carey from the RTMC who is also visiting, talking about old times and how sad it was to end the RTMC. It is cold and windy though. I brought my Z12, G11+MakNewt and 20x80 Skymasters+Tiltall. With the wind blowing that hard I'm not sure if I will set up for AP. There are some nice 22" Dobs here, tonight I'll just look through those.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 am I drove all day from 6:15 AM to 4:30 PM to get to the Kaibab star party.

I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere!

Have a great time at the party.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:59 am
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 am I drove all day from 6:15 AM to 4:30 PM to get to the Kaibab star party.

Graeme
There were two 22" Dobs and one 20" Dob last night, all Obsessions. While there were clouds we did get some nice views. M51 filled the entire FOV and was clear to see in all its glory. If we had a 28" we would have seen it in color like I did once at the RTMC. We are at Bortle 0. The weather is unpredictable, so we hope for the best. The first night (Saturday) was actually excellent from what I was told.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:29 pm
Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:59 am

Graeme
There were two 22" Dobs and one 20" Dob last night, all Obsessions. While there were clouds we did get some nice views. M51 filled the entire FOV and was clear to see in all its glory. If we had a 28" we would have seen it in color like I did once at the RTMC. We are at Bortle 0. The weather is unpredictable, so we hope for the best. The first night (Saturday) was actually excellent from what I was told.
Hi Henk,
Sounds great.

What does RTMC stand for? Search engine only gave me: Road Traffic Management Corporation, Real Time Monitoring and Control but no astrocamps.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:04 am What does RTMC stand for? Search engine only gave me: Road Traffic Management Corporation, Real Time Monitoring and Control but no astrocamps.
Hi Joe,

It's the Riverside Telescope Makers Conference. It was on par with Stellafane. There was no longer enough interest from the public and vendors to keep it going, especially after they lost the Memorial Day time slot. That was the 51st year, ewhen they ended it.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I have started decommissioning my observatory in preparation for moving. The scopes are all packed. Next is the pier. I still have to pack all the rest of the gear and disconnect the power and networking cables. The building mover is booked and a space reserved at the new site to deposit the building temporarily while I make the foundation.

Moving, yeah. It's a royal pain, though I guess it'll be worth it in the end. Add to all the normal hassles the fact that our phone landline is dead, and good old Bell has no interest in fixing it. And with no cell service here, all the normal moving tasks, that you would normally make a phone call for, require driving down the road to find a signal and then sitting by the side of the road while I wait on hold. On the plus side, I did figure out how to Bluetooth my phone into the car's speakers, so I don't have to hold the phone to my ear while waiting for a human to rouse themselves and pick up.

I will be moving from a Bortle 2-3 area to a Bortle 5 area. However, the area of available sky will be huge compared to what I have now, including a view right down to the southern horizon.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

It's the end of an H2O era Kathy!

Are you moving far?

Graeme

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Graeme1858 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:20 pm It's the end of an H2O era Kathy!

Are you moving far?

Graeme
About 15 or 20 km, so not far.

It might still be H2O. I am thinking of calling it "Helena Handbasket Observatory" as a comment on the state of the world.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Got X-rays last night on my right knee which I injured a week ago now that my back problem healed. Torn Meniscus and also some calcium deposits (just starting) in both knees, which could be a form of early arthritis. Also there is a bit of torsion between the right foot and the knee which is slightly painful. Doc said to come back in two weeks if it does not start healing in that time frame. I've been hobbling around for a week. Will get a cortisone (steroid) shot at that time. Fortunately no surgery is needed at this point, but it is not totally ruled out.

Oyy Vay!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

On the topic of knees, my wife just got a full knee replacement on the right side. They had her walking on it four hours after they buttoned her up, and discharged her after an overnight stay. The bedroom is her recovery room and its walk-in closet the drug dispensary. It was a brutal schedule managing the dozen drugs over the first three very long nights, but as she recovers the meds are fewer and hours asleep longer. We look forward to the rollout of spouse.v2.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

DEnc wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:12 pm On the topic of knees, my wife just got a full knee replacement on the right side. They had her walking on it four hours after they buttoned her up, and discharged her after an overnight stay. The bedroom is her recovery room and its walk-in closet the drug dispensary. It was a brutal schedule managing the dozen drugs over the first three very long nights, but as she recovers the meds are fewer and hours asleep longer. We look forward to the rollout of spouse.v2.
Yup. Good luck to you both.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Finally got a closing date for the sale of the house, 7 July!
Let's hope they follow through and can secure financing.

We plan on renting it back from the buyers for 30-45 days to give us time to find a place in NJ.

Fingers crossed 🤞
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Ylem wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:17 am Finally got a closing date for the sale of the house, 7 July!
Let's hope they follow through and can secure financing.

We plan on renting it back from the buyers for 30-45 days to give us time to find a place in NJ.

Fingers crossed 🤞
I know from recent experience how much of a relief that is! Good luck with it all.

(* Kathy returns to packing. *)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Replaced my ancient daily commuter car with an SUV. Lots of cargo space for astro gear! Plus, if need be, I could nap in the back of it at a dark site.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I drove through a red traffic light a few weeks ago. They give you the option of paying a fine and getting points on your licence or attending a course on Defensive Driving. I chose the later. So today was the day of the course. It was a good course, they give you facts and figures showing the futility of driving too fast and other things that should be obvious but it's good to have pointed out every once in a while!

They showed that saying "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" takes 2 seconds!

Still don't think I'm going to get over getting wound up by people doodling in the outside lane though!

Graeme

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Today is my last day at the Kaibab star party. I have set up only once just with my binoculars because an arthritic wrist - hauling a Z12 or doing AP would be painful. For the past 4 days there were 3 participants altogether: me, the organizer and his son. On Sunday we had one more participant. Maybe 9 days is too long and for sure we could use some more advertising. It was very nice to look through those two 22-inchers though, and to be under a glorious Milky Way. The skies were decent altogether and there was a lot of interest from the guests of the lodge and the campground. I spent the daytime exploring new hiking trails, all of them nice. Time to head back.