What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by SkyHiker »

While I'm anxious to get started with my obsy - an idea that started after deciding to paint the house - once you start prepping the house for painting you get sucked into all kinds of unwanted chores. This week I hired a handyman to help out with replacing decorative wood paneling at the front of the house around which a brick planter was built. After decades of course there was some rotting wood right at the soil line, also noted by a termite inspector a few years ago, so I had to empty the planter and have the paneling replaced. While they were there I also asked them to fix the stucco around one window and part of one sliding door. It was all done in 1 day. Now I'm painting and moisture proofing the new paneling and hope it will hold up for 20 years.

After that I still need to strip the old paint around the obsy location, repaint and construct a sealed wooden water dam on which to build it so I have some more work to do with polyurethane. On top of that I also lost a tooth that had a large filling since childhood so I need to decide on a bridge or implant, and also had another tooth crowned preventatively. I have two trips coming up in June. This will drag on through the whole year though I hope to have the basic structure built up next week.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

You have a lot of work planned there Henk so good luck with all that.

I hope you are able to get your teeth sorted out. I suppose it could be down to cost as to which option you go for.

I know in the UK that implants are very expensive, and are only available privately. The NHS does not cover the cost, but there are exceptional medical circumstances when they could do it on the NHS.

I don't know what options you have in USA.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:41 pm While I'm anxious to get started with my obsy - an idea that started after deciding to paint the house - once you start prepping the house for painting you get sucked into all kinds of unwanted chores. This week I hired a handyman to help out with replacing decorative wood paneling at the front of the house around which a brick planter was built. After decades of course there was some rotting wood right at the soil line, also noted by a termite inspector a few years ago, so I had to empty the planter and have the paneling replaced. While they were there I also asked them to fix the stucco around one window and part of one sliding door. It was all done in 1 day. Now I'm painting and moisture proofing the new paneling and hope it will hold up for 20 years.

After that I still need to strip the old paint around the obsy location, repaint and construct a sealed wooden water dam on which to build it so I have some more work to do with polyurethane. On top of that I also lost a tooth that had a large filling since childhood so I need to decide on a bridge or implant, and also had another tooth crowned preventatively. I have two trips coming up in June. This will drag on through the whole year though I hope to have the basic structure built up next week.
Yes maintenance on a house is never ending , painting old surfaces is 90% prep and 10% paint , seen lots of houses getting 'painted' before a sale with no prep work done , will last 6 months at most and new owner has to redo
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:58 pm I hope you are able to get your teeth sorted out. I suppose it could be down to cost as to which option you go for.

I know in the UK that implants are very expensive, and are only available privately. The NHS does not cover the cost, but there are exceptional medical circumstances when they could do it on the NHS.

As a rule, what is not life threatening is considered cosmetic and does not get reimbursed by basic insurance. While still working I had insurance that paid 25% or at best 50% for crowns, for instance, with a small supplement. As a child in the Netherlands, I had porous teeth and no fluorinated water. While I was brushing properly, I had multiple cavities every year and did not expect my teeth to last past 30. Back in the days that was considered normal, my parents had their extracted around that age. Miraculously, American dentists did a great job, as did the fluorinated water probably, and I have all my teeth minus one now, with solid roots fortunately, so the prospects have improved beyond the imagination. It's worth paying for. Whayt I'm not quite sure about is if I should have an implant because it can take a year altogether. Afterwards they want me to get braces (Invisalign) to straighten my teeth though I'm fine with having crooked teeth, and was hoping not to be plagued with having braces and a retainer - isn't retirement the time to enjoy life? Yet, friends told me the best thing to do is just that so I am slowly changing my mindset and have the Invisalign, retainer... ugh. They are the good worries; over all I'm not complaining.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Just reading this post. Joe @OzEclipse not only "kept up with the Joneses", he passed them and kept going, getting home a week or so earlier than us, noting we left a few days earlier too.

We have been home now for a week, after 13,500 km over 43 days, with the April 20 Eclipse in Exmouth a key highlight. Our camper van is now washed and I have commenced processing some 3,500 images (a lot are subs for images to be composited, including nearly 1,000 of the eclipse itself). Maybe in a week or so, I will have my first eclipse composite, noting that bus passed several weeks ago (with now so many fine images around). At some stage, I hope to write up an observing report for the whole trip, with some detail on a first time eclipse viewer's experience.

Now back to what I was doing....importing/organising photos in LR.....

Cheers Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Back to my roots picking olives at villa del Adam and April in the Young Hilltops today. But, boy oh boy it’s cold out today with a cutting wind and light rain. People who know me know I almost never complain about the cold. Today is just brutal.

Pretty sure these are the Spanish manzanilla olives. My friends have only just bought the house weeks ago.

I picked up a great method for curing small blacks from Andonis, a chef I met in Crete. Trees had both blacks and greens so I picked some of each. The greens will be cured “Sicilian sbucciatte” style.
IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Digging up old rocks and soil for a new walkway. Getting our bedding plants in the ground after a string of cold nights delayed planting.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Our house is under contract pending sale, but these buyers are literally NUTS with their repair list, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE PAGES!

The home really does not need anything, we set it up that we could have a carefree retirement in it.

I hope the deal falls through.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:58 pm You have a lot of work planned there Henk so good luck with all that.

I hope you are able to get your teeth sorted out. I suppose it could be down to cost as to which option you go for.

Most people in the US have private dental insurance which covers a portion of the cost of restorative dentistry. A higher percentage of preventive care is covered but there are annual limitations. Dental insurance here is basically a coupon - it's not as comprehensive as medical insurance.
(Married to a dental hygienist who did clinical, currently teaches, and administers national dental board exams. :lol: )
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Ylem wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 am Our house is under contract pending sale, but these buyers are literally NUTS with their repair list, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE PAGES!

The home really does not need anything, we set it up that we could have a carefree retirement in it.

Boy, can I relate to what you’re going through before I moved down here to Myrtle Beach two years ago.
My house sold within one week but then the people started getting ridiculous about what they wanted repaired.
When they then welshed upon their list and then wanted more.
I had to tell him there are no further negotiations.
If you want to come back into the property to look at some thing, blah blah blah but we’re not negotiating on anything else.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Ylem wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 am Our house is under contract pending sale, but these buyers are literally NUTS with their repair list, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THREE PAGES!

Does this mean that they wont buy until you have fixed all their list? Perhaps you could offer it at a discount of $153 - $1 for each page of complaints. ;)

Over here what you see is what you get, especially if it is put up for auction: if there are issues they may be reflected in the price, but that would be a point for price negotiation, nothing else- and the house market is so crazy that people are paying ridiculous prices for places that need to be bulldozed.
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

DeanD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:18 am

Does this mean that they wont buy until you have fixed all their list? Perhaps you could offer it at a discount of $153 - $1 for each page of complaints. ;)

Over here what you see is what you get, especially if it is put up for auction: if there are issues they may be reflected in the price, but that would be a point for price negotiation, nothing else- and the house market is so crazy that people are paying ridiculous prices for places that need to be bulldozed.
In NSW, after contracts are signed and exchanged, the seller can do damage up to 5% of the value of the property and the buyer has to accept and cover that cost.

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

OzEclipse wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:20 am

In NSW, after contracts are signed and exchanged, the seller can do damage up to 5% of the value of the property and the buyer has to accept and cover that cost.

Joe
So the moral of the story is: "Don't piss off the seller after you buy their NSW house!" :shock:
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Back to work today for both of us :roll:

We still do our daily walks in the Forest, but I don't always do a photographic walk-through which I usually share here.

I will give you a taste of a different area next time :icon-smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Wifey and I are sitting in the car under a shade tree.
We have several lookie-lous' viewing the house today, hopefully get another offer.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:47 pm My house sold within one week but then the people started getting ridiculous about what they wanted repaired.
If you want to come back into the property to look at some thing, blah blah blah but we’re not negotiating on anything else.
:lol: Yeah, one clown wanted a $10,000 credit so he could finish the basement at my old place. Another wanted $5K to take out the less-than-a-year-old carpet and put in Pergo. Buh-bye, cabrones!

Anyway, around here the standard wording to refuse a repair / replace request is, "Seller(s) respectfully declines." I said that to my real estate agent a lot.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:17 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:47 pm My house sold within one week but then the people started getting ridiculous about what they wanted repaired.
:lol: Yeah, one clown wanted a $10,000 credit so he could finish the basement at my old place. Another wanted $5K to take out the less-than-a-year-old carpet and put in Pergo. Buh-bye, cabrones!

Anyway, around here the standard wording to refuse a repair / replace request is, "Seller(s) respectfully declines." I said that to my real estate agent a lot.
“Seller, respectively declined” that’s hilarious, but that’s what you have to do!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Well, since we’ve been socked in with rain and overcast clouds going on three weeks now I can’t say that I’ve been doing much observing.
However, on another front once again, I have gotten involved with an animal rescue. Actually, it’s a woman that I know we have become canine friends so to speak.
She found out that there was a litter of eight puppies who were stuffed in a large plastic adult dog carrying case.
They were left in that thing all day long on the back porch covered in their own feces and urine .
She managed to talk to the people And convince them into surrendering the puppies to her.
She lives about 20 miles from me and I’m in the country but she lives in a very rural area. She now has the puppies in a big fenced in area a covered shelter area.
We both went the other day to tractor supply, and I bought her two huge bags of puppy chow and treats.
This Wednesday, I’m going back there to help bathe all the puppies cut their nails and I have bought a pack of identifying collars that are different colors.
We have been actively on every Facebook page trying to find the puppies homes. Hopefully a shelter will take them in a few weeks, but they are full.
I hate to say it I love living in the south but the way dogs are treated here it’s terrible.
Here’s a few pictures from the other day when I brought the food to her
Attachments
IMG_4550.jpeg
IMG_4551.jpeg
IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4553.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4556.jpeg
IMG_4557.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_0104.jpeg
IMG_0105.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Tue May 30, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

“Behind the redwood curtain”: It's a phrase describing the isolation that can be experienced in northern coastal CA. How overnight Amazon Prime deliveries take a week, or how we're physically cut off from the rest of the world several times every winter, or how the change in seasons is marked by switching from red plaid to green plaid.

...And how in my retirement I've been unable to update my 2000's-era corporate clothing in time for an east coast wedding next weekend. We travelled to the Bay Area a few days before our flight to try to solve this problem, and the only solution I found cost as much as it did to jack up the backside of our house and replace a rotted rim joist!!!

So instead of this beauty pictured below I'll be wearing an overstuffed sport coat that last saw daylight more than a few years ago.
thumbnail.jpg
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

DeanD wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:07 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:20 am

Joe
So the moral of the story is: "Don't piss off the seller after you buy their NSW house!" :shock:
I just took out insurance to cover it from the date of exchange.