What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by DeanD »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 am Continuing the theme of us watching vampire movies/TV series, we are into the Van Helsing series on Netflix.

It is pretty good, and we have just started watching series 3.

The female lead character is Vanessa Van Helsing. My namesake and she is a pretty mean vampire killer ;)

I don't think I could match her in the sword skills, but I could give her a run for her money in hand-to-hand combat though :snooty:
I reckon you would nail it Vanessa! ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

DeanD wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:06 pm
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 am Continuing the theme of us watching vampire movies/TV series, we are into the Van Helsing series on Netflix.

It is pretty good, and we have just started watching series 3.

The female lead character is Vanessa Van Helsing. My namesake and she is a pretty mean vampire killer ;)

I don't think I could match her in the sword skills, but I could give her a run for her money in hand-to-hand combat though :snooty:
I reckon you would nail it Vanessa! ;)
Absolutely right Dean :lol:

I dare say there would be a lot of biting and scratching involved too ;)
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I started fixing up the house. Retirement does not go unpunished!

I polyurethaned the front door that looked ready for the trash, now it looks almost brand new and beautiful. I also painted the walls next to it where vines had wreaked havoc for decades. It is blinding white now. Next, I'm getting ready for painting the rest of the whole house off-white.

For that I need to demolish a formerly rat infested shed that is now a health hazard. It sits on an 8x10 foot concrete South facing pad though, hmmm. I am wondering if I should build a simple obsy there. Even just the pad with the G11 HD tripod, which is as solid as a pier, would be good as it is out of sight from the street. In California we don't worry about the rain most of the year. A simple enclosure that keeps the wind out would do, so all I have to worry about is a simple roof that keeps the dust and leaves out and that I can easily take off.

Either that, and/or another resin storage shed. I see Wayfair has its Wayday sale so I can order a 7x7 shed for $800 today. I think I will order one and decide later where to put it. I already have a 7x7 one and a 4.5x6 one that are mostly enough but one more would be good. I could put it next to them so I can use the concrete pad for astrophotography.

Before I get there I first need to move the sheds off the walls, powerwash the walls and eves, pretreat and paint them, ugh.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Obsy is on the way! Free delivery, tomorrow. It's a lean-to 6x8 foot metal storage shed on sale for $455. I have to modify the roof into some kind of slide-off, flip-over or flip-off contraption. I'll see about that when I get it. The door is 5' 5" high, which is also the lower wall height, which is low enough to capture the sky and tall enough to house my scope if I park it sideways even with the 12" on it. This is only for the half of the sky that the lean-to wall faces, which fortunately is the Southern sky.

I first contemplated building something myself from waterproof boards but if you add in the complexity of building the door, and making a special roof with flip-up panels that are also watertight, it would be much harder and costlier than modifying something that is readymade. I will try to modify the roof in a non-destructive way so I can convert it back to a regular shed should I want to sell the house. I also ordered a 7x7 resin storage shed for $800 that I will need on the other side of the house to compensate for the storage that I lose by taking down the rotten old shed.

I didn't intend to go this quick about it, but the items were on sale for 2 days, today being the last.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:09 pm I started fixing up the house. Retirement does not go unpunished!

I polyurethaned the front door that looked ready for the trash, now it looks almost brand new and beautiful. I also painted the walls next to it where vines had wreaked havoc for decades. It is blinding white now. Next, I'm getting ready for painting the rest of the whole house off-white.

For that I need to demolish a formerly rat infested shed that is now a health hazard. It sits on an 8x10 foot concrete South facing pad though, hmmm. I am wondering if I should build a simple obsy there. Even just the pad with the G11 HD tripod, which is as solid as a pier, would be good as it is out of sight from the street. In California we don't worry about the rain most of the year. A simple enclosure that keeps the wind out would do, so all I have to worry about is a simple roof that keeps the dust and leaves out and that I can easily take off.

Either that, and/or another resin storage shed. I see Wayfair has its Wayday sale so I can order a 7x7 shed for $800 today. I think I will order one and decide later where to put it. I already have a 7x7 one and a 4.5x6 one that are mostly enough but one more would be good. I could put it next to them so I can use the concrete pad for astrophotography.

Before I get there I first need to move the sheds off the walls, powerwash the walls and eves, pretreat and paint them, ugh.
I had to demolish 2 rat infested rotting sheds last year.
I used a 20v Black and Decker reciprocating saw, worked wonders.

I also went with a vinyl shed from Wayfair (Lifetime brand) I love it! No more rotting wood :)
Haven't seen any traces of rats or snakes!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Finally got our shed up and stuffed all our stuff back inside.
Three days of rain forecast so I will not be able to test out my latest Frankenstein project, a parallelogram made from an old crutch.
Crutch Parallelagon 20230414 Web.jpg
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Perfect timing on my last post - I'll be working remotely on Tuesdays and Fridays through May, then we kick to summer hours (half-day Fridays). And my vacation payout from my former employer hit my bank account this morning. Might be time for a new astro goodie. :grin:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Trying to keep the house clean with real estate showings going on [sigh].

Astro stuff all packed away, not a fun time, I wish I could be put into suspended animation, then wake me up in the new house 😆.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ylem wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:56 pm Trying to keep the house clean with real estate showings going on [sigh].
Amen. Aside from cleaning out a few decades worth of "stuff I might need someday" aka "useless crap", keeping the house constantly clean was the biggest pain when we moved last time.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Hello everyone !
Sorry I haven’t been on more often but since my double eye surgery, I’m waiting to go back so I can get a prescription for reading glasses. It’s like a new set of eyeballs distance wise. I can see so much farther away and see things in detail however, I still need reading glasses and because of that next appointment on Wednesday very hard to see the type on my tablet and phone so that’s why I haven’t been around much or posting because I can’t really see it close as good as I used to believe it or not..
However, on another note I managed to purchase a brand new Husqvarna ride on zero turning ratios mower almost 60% discount.
Too old to be pushing the mower, but I’m too cheap to pay retail.
Here’s a few pictures of my new ride, and I promise to be back on more once I can see up close again all the best, Frank.
Attachments
864D92B5-6D24-424C-863B-9CC951E98578.jpeg
B26B0659-62CB-4F8C-B6BE-4AED7E5DB49B.jpeg
806DCF74-5FC0-4EED-A786-BDA7F833A8D1.jpeg
48238DED-2622-40B6-994F-F80286F26165.jpeg
F7C58DAF-125B-469C-8EE9-5AE527202A01.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:59 pm Hello everyone !
Sorry I haven’t been on more often but since my double eye surgery, I’m waiting to go back so I can get a prescription for reading glasses. It’s like a new set of eyeballs distance wise. I can see so much farther away and see things in detail however, I still need reading glasses and because of that next appointment on Wednesday very hard to see the type on my tablet and phone so that’s why I haven’t been around much or posting because I can’t really see it close as good as I used to believe it or not..
However, on another note I managed to purchase a brand new Husqvarna ride on zero turning ratios mower almost 60% discount.
Here’s a few pictures of my new ride, and I promise to be back on more once I can see up close again all the best, Frank.
Wow, that's a great price. Some of my property or at least the surrounds that I mow as a fire break is a bit rough so I bought a more rugged semi-commercial 44 inch zero turn. It cost me about USD7000. You did really well.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

~

Mostly riding off-road motorcycles, of late. No astronomy, really.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:03 am
Wow, that's a great price. Some of my property or at least the surrounds that I mow as a fire break is a bit rough so I bought a more rugged semi-commercial 44 inch zero turn. It cost me about USD7000. You did really well.
Thanks my friend I felt really good about it, I had been needing and wanting one so I jumped on the deal !
You said yours was a semi commercial model and 40 “ is pretty big I think this one is 54” I was just so happy to snag it at that price !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:53 am
OzEclipse wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:03 am
Thanks my friend I felt really good about it, I had been needing and wanting one so I jumped on the deal !
You said yours was a semi commercial model and 40 “ is pretty big I think this one is 54” I was just so happy to snag it at that price !
Mine is 44". I chose that because it was the biggest cutting width that could fit through the gap that connects front and rear yards. Yours at 54" is an outstanding price.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's an amazing deal you got on that machine!
Heck they sell those rebranded MTD/Craftsmans for $1,800!
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great new ride Frank. I got tired of mowing the lawn, especially the grassy hills at a 30 degree angle up behind the house at my old place. In my new digs there is no lawn, just wood chips and cedar and fir trees plus a few human-planted shrubs which I put in, and a red-leaved Japanese maple. Life is good!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Ylem wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:34 pm
That's an amazing deal you got on that machine!
Heck they sell those rebranded MTD/Craftsmans for $1,800!
Thanks my friend !
I felt like I got a really good deal !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:38 pm Great new ride Frank. I got tired of mowing the lawn, especially the grassy hills at a 30 degree angle up behind the house at my old place. In my new digs there is no lawn, just wood chips and cedar and fir trees plus a few human-planted shrubs which I put in, and a red-leaved Japanese maple. Life is good!
Gee that sounds like a nice arrangement!
I wish I had a situation with no grass but after I knocked down the woods behind my house to make away for a built-in pool it’s all grass now!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Although it is a bank Holiday in the UK today and most businesses are closed, I will be working.

I don't usually take bookings for my nail clients on Bank Holidays. However, a friend of ours is going to a special event this evening so I offered to give her a full make-up this afternoon.

make-up_1.png
make-up_1.png (104.7 KiB) Viewed 771 times

It won't mean much to the guys, but it will be a full facial, from foundation to mascara, to eyeliner, to lipstick, etc., and finally nails (hands and feet).

She is quite happy with her hair style as it is at the moment, so I don't have to do that as well, although I could have if she had wanted me to.

I know she will look gorgeous when it is all done, so that makes me proud to do it :D
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I've been following the hockey play-offs.
The Bruins are out, that warms my heart.

Devils vs Hurricanes, wifey is a Cane's fan, go Devils!
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters