What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

I am now in full time house painting mode to get the house ready to list. Oh fun.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

Laptop Repair/Maintenance!

After some quite successful imaging exercises, it was abundantly clear that I had to fix some things. The guiding all worked quite well, as did image capture.
Behind the scenes, an IBM T43 was running PHD2 on WinXP. The CMOS battery was dead, so any momentary slip to the power plug meant a lengthy reboot and time/date set. I also have a nearly identical T41, which also needed a CMOS battery. Both have some other applications too good to discard (e.g. serial radio programming)so I have kept them somewhat safe. There was one good battery between them, and a not ancient aftermarket one that is dead. The T43 had been dropped dozens of times and needed minor chassis work, but it had an IDE SSD so it was a comparatively quick boot.
Both CMOS batteries went in OK (and I even have extra screws!) and I disassembled the bad battery for repair. One cell was damaged (evidence of leak) with evidence of corrosion. I had 18650 cells already on hand.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen those very-inexpensive Spot Welder tools (mine was around $50 when I got it), but I was dying to try this out. After a few practice attempts, I was able to re-affix the assembly using a combination of the old strips and a strip of the supplied Nickel strip material. I could not believe how well it worked. These were replacement "flat-top" cells, and they were a perfect fit. The partially re-assembled battery is getting epoxied back together at a few places. It cot pretty hemmed-up during disassembly.
If I had known this bad-boy worked this well, I would not have purchased the replacement CMOS battery assembly; I would have spot-welded a strategic piece of nickel strip on a 50-cent button-cell and soldered the old wired to the strips.

Will work on the T510 that I use for the video capture portion, running either BackYard EOS for the Canon T3i, or ASI Studio for the other cameras. That battery is dead as a door nail.

BTW, saving all my money for Dirt! Spring will mean finally having at least some of the yard to observatory-appropriate levels.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I tried something new (to me) mead.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

GCoyote wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:04 pm I tried something new (to me) mead.
Did you enjoy it Gary?

We have only ever tried mead once, and found it to be very sweet - sickly sweet actually, so we haven't bothered with it since.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

It was sweeter than what I'm used to drinking but no more than many dessert wines and the citrus notes really balanced it well. I had a small cup to sip on during evening reading the past few nights. I call it a welcome change of pace.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've been using the laptop version of Stellarium for planning and SkySafari+ on my phone from when I had push-to encoders. I always felt the laptop Stellarium was a bit cluttered / clunky. However, I just downloaded the free iPhone Stellarium app and I have to say I like it.

If I think about it, I really don't need all the features on SS+ like crosshairs and orbits and whatever since I no longer connect to a scope. Free Stellarium gives a very nice sky map IMO and realtime alt-az which is all I need for my Wixey and az circle.

The question is how accurate the Stellarium coords are. That'll have to wait a few days as it's overcast and up to 10 inches of snow is forecast for tomorrow. :roll:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Mead consumption goes back to the time of Beowulf. Never tried it but 12 percent ABV and 750 milliliters would pack a punch!

I'm heading out to the podiatrist to try to figure out what's going on with my feet. Discomfort while walking. Age related degeneration I guess.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Gary and Michael. You are correct as it is written Mead Hall in Beowulf (Heorot was in Beowulf's center). Sheri and I used to find and enjoy this hydromel (fermenting honey mixed with water) made by Merrydown in the UK many years ago, but haven't seen it available here for a long time.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Look what the post man brought!
IMG_20230302_160746933.jpg
IMG_20230302_180102476.jpg
Romarin et sei de mer!

Now I just need some Montreal smoked meat :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I ordered an Ooma box as a Wifi-based telephone after I had to return my work cell phone. Curious how that works. I may get a cell phone later to replace the one I had for work that I returned.

I also ordered a 4-bay Synology server with 3 4-TB hard disks. I want to set up 2 of them as RAID, and the 3rd one as backup disk, also for some of the RAID data. I may add a 4th disk later on. Should be good for setting up SVN, VPN, cloud, backup, encryption, file server, and a lot more. I used one at work and found it very convenient to configure, it worked flawlessly. I want something better than just a laptop with a backup disk.

Both should be here this afternoon.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

I figured I would post in this section and let everyone know what I’ve been up to lately,
This is quite the tail so you might want to get a cool drink and sit down. Lol.

There were two dogs that were being neglected.
They were in a junkyard that was out in the middle of nowhere in the woods in rural South Carolina.
The owner of the junkyard had them both chained to empty, huge water containers that you see on the back of flatbed trucks with just a cut out with a way for them to get in there.

The problem was this horrible human being would leave these dogs for days at a time with no water, no food the whole place would get flooded out when it rained , the dog houses would be all wet inside and they would be in standing water.

So this woman that I know through social media, who actually I met thru one of my rescued dogs one of the two hound dogs that I have I rescued thru her
So anyway, this woman told the guy that owns the junkyard “you need to surrender the dogs to me before the authorities come down on you “as a veiled threat.
What does idiot do he hemmed and hawed but she finally convinced him to surrender the dogs to him.
So we to constructed a Portable chain-link 10’ x 12’ pen for both of them.
That was a few weeks ago but my neighbor who I helped him build a huge pole barn had a lot of leftover lumber and let me take whatever I needed .
So we went back today to her home, which is about half an hour from where I live out the country and we constructed roofing to keep them both out of the sun, rain in the elements.
I started a Go fund me page off of the blog that I have for the two rescued hound dogs @ daily dose of Daisy Mae & Beautiful Bella on Facebook.
The fund me drive on and my dogs blog generated $475 today for these two dogs, food and medical expenses going forward!
So I’m closing today was a dog day for me, but it was worth it!

PS I also included one picture of my two hound dogs. They were both skin and bone and dumped and hot. One positive when we rescued them the tri-colored one ( Daisy Mae)was so weak. It couldn’t get up on a her own for close to a week and the Redbone( Bella )was rescued from a cornfield where it had lived for three or four months as a puppy..
Attachments
8CD27387-D44D-4120-B2A1-C10591B117B3.jpeg
3B290529-A6D5-44D2-B3B0-6DE9B3C725DD.jpeg
4D59E7C1-B6E1-40CC-A4AD-92252DEFFFBA.jpeg
090CF29D-0A59-4D53-B369-E1A14C2F2C6A.jpeg
251B3838-719E-466F-83DB-039AD16DC93F.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 pm I ordered an Ooma box as a Wifi-based telephone after I had to return my work cell phone. Curious how that works. I may get a cell phone later to replace the one I had for work that I returned.

I also ordered a 4-bay Synology server with 3 4-TB hard disks. I want to set up 2 of them as RAID, and the 3rd one as backup disk, also for some of the RAID data. I may add a 4th disk later on. Should be good for setting up SVN, VPN, cloud, backup, encryption, file server, and a lot more. I used one at work and found it very convenient to configure, it worked flawlessly. I want something better than just a laptop with a backup disk.

Both should be here this afternoon.
Lots of new words and acronyms for me here! ;)

I had to look up "Ooma box", "Synology server", "RAID" and "SVN" so I am bit the wiser now.
I even found out the difference between "SVN" and "Git" (although I am not much the wiser there!)

At least I did know what the other words mean...

I'll go back to my cave now. :)

Have fun with all that data!

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Thank you for posting that heart-wrenching story Frank :animals-dogrun:

It always angers me when I read of tales where animals of any kind have been mistreated.

This one had a happy outcome thanks to you (with help from the other lady), so I am proud of you for doing that :icon-smile:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

@SkyHiker Henk, just as Dean mentioned, I don't have a clue what all that computer terminology meant :?

I hope it all works well for you anyway.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:12 am @SkyHiker Henk, just as Dean mentioned, I don't have a clue what all that computer terminology meant :?
Let me explain it a bit more then. it may sound nerdy, but it is really pretty common for software developers, and many non-developers too, I think, so to those, skip the rest of this message.

I am not a fan of cell phones and, since with my retirement I lost my cell phone that was provided by work, would not mind having a land line instead. Ooma is a VOIP system (Voice Over IP, IP=Internet Protocol) that lets you set up a phone number and comes with an app that lets you use any Wifi device to connect and check messages - for instance a PC or an Android tablet, to make phone calls. They charge just fees and taxes, so it is much cheaper than a regular land line and certainly cheaper than a cell phone. You can connect from any hot spot not just your own home.

The Synology server (that's just a brand name) is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution that comes with several utilities such as:
- SVN: I develop software, and SVN is a configuration management system that lets you browse the history of your code development and make file comparisons of different versions, manage custom derivatives (branches). It is indispensable for any software developer and should always run on a separate machine to ensure integrity. You will never have to fear losing anything you did in the past, so it offers a lot of freedom to develop new stuff and revert if it turns out to be no good.
- RAID: This protects against hardware failures by using multiple disks so that if one fails, the other one can correct it, automatically. I am currently on a 12-year-old Toshiba laptop and worry about disk failures. If I keep my important files on that RAID system, the chances of losing my files are a lot less.
- File server: I can store my files on that server and mount them on my other computers, Linux or Windows, as folders that can be accessed directly. This is also handy for making periodic backup over the network, since the server is always on, and I don't have to manually connect a backup disk.
- VPN: A Virtual Private Network, that can be used to access my network securely away from home if there is a need for it. That way I don't have to carry my laptop with me and still have access to my files and/or computers by cell phone or tablet.
- Cloud: This is makes it possible to access data that I want to share via web browsers, for instance photo series of hikes, or astronomy pictures. I could also set up a message board like TSS, a mail server or FTP file server on it. I find it nice to keep everything on my own computer instead of using Google or Microsoft cloud solutions.

Hope this explains it. The server was about $300, the disks $60 each. There are other solutions for some of these features, but it is nice to have a single, central NAS system that is meant to provide this. It worked very well for the office.
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:12 am I hope it all works well for you anyway.
We'll see. It will be useful in the long run.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Say Henk, did you consider SSD storage? It's getting so common now you can buy 2TB portable SSDs at Costco.
The idea of not having any moving parts to fail is very appealing to me.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Frank, give those doggies a hug from me!

What a heartwarming story!
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

GCoyote wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:39 pm Say Henk, did you consider SSD storage? It's getting so common now you can buy 2TB portable SSDs at Costco.
The idea of not having any moving parts to fail is very appealing to me.
I have a 1 TB SSD on my laptop, but I am not convinced that it is a more robust storage than disks. I want this NAS for more reasons than just for backup. I also want it to be online not yet another device to carry with me. But thanks for the suggestion Gary!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:48 am I figured I would post in this section and let everyone know what I’ve been up to lately,
This is quite the tail so you might want to get a cool drink and sit down. Lol.

There were two dogs that were being neglected.
They were in a junkyard that was out in the middle of nowhere in the woods in rural South Carolina.
The owner of the junkyard had them both chained to empty, huge water containers that you see on the back of flatbed trucks with just a cut out with a way for them to get in there.

The problem was this horrible human being would leave these dogs for days at a time with no water, no food the whole place would get flooded out when it rained , the dog houses would be all wet inside and they would be in standing water.

So this woman that I know through social media, who actually I met thru one of my rescued dogs one of the two hound dogs that I have I rescued thru her
So anyway, this woman told the guy that owns the junkyard “you need to surrender the dogs to me before the authorities come down on you “as a veiled threat.
What does idiot do he hemmed and hawed but she finally convinced him to surrender the dogs to him.
So we to constructed a Portable chain-link 10’ x 12’ pen for both of them.
That was a few weeks ago but my neighbor who I helped him build a huge pole barn had a lot of leftover lumber and let me take whatever I needed .
So we went back today to her home, which is about half an hour from where I live out the country and we constructed roofing to keep them both out of the sun, rain in the elements.
I started a Go fund me page off of the blog that I have for the two rescued hound dogs @ daily dose of Daisy Mae & Beautiful Bella on Facebook.
The fund me drive on and my dogs blog generated $475 today for these two dogs, food and medical expenses going forward!
So I’m closing today was a dog day for me, but it was worth it!

PS I also included one picture of my two hound dogs. They were both skin and bone and dumped and hot. One positive when we rescued them the tri-colored one ( Daisy Mae)was so weak. It couldn’t get up on a her own for close to a week and the Redbone( Bella )was rescued from a cornfield where it had lived for three or four months as a puppy..
You are my kind of guy Frank!
What you and your social media friend are wonderful folks!

To me, dogs are just special and even the ones with issues have an amazing sweet side. I know that this will sound strange to some folks, but I personally prefer dogs to lots of people.

I live in the south (Mississippi) and it is appalling how some people treat these sweet animals. It is not just MS, but other nearby southern states too. The shelters are overflowing!

I have fostered many dogs that have been abandoned or stray, that are cared for and sent north to well vetted new families. Dogs are great, but there are wonderful people out there too!

I was lucky to find my dog Jack at a shelter almost 6 years ago. He has given me so much in that time!
He has been having trouble walking recently, so I brought him in for evaluation earlier this week. Both of his hips are pretty bad (dyplaysia) and one knee needed surgery too (worse than the hips). I spent my astro budget (for quite some time) to have a TPLO surgery on his knee. I am very fortunate to have him and my wonderful wife (who was good with me spending the money for Jack's surgery).
He is the dog on the left in my avatar. A foster pup is on the right biting his tail.

You are a good man Frank. We need more folks like you!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Juno 16 thank you so much for the kind works and I Agee with you animals are better than people especially dogs because they love you unconditionally well you are my kind of people too my friend !👏🏻👍
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars