What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

Still unpacking here at the new house.
Its a bit smaller than the old one back in NC, still may need to donate some more household stuff.

I've got decent views of the southern skies and reasonably good views to the east and west. The north has sky glow but is blocked by trees anyway.

Life is good :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Well, I've been gone from here for about 2 years and in a nutshell that time has been spent with: our 5 young granddaughters (we have the first grandson on the way, due in October!) family and family drama, playing guitars, resurrecting my 1970's stereo, traveling, our inherited senior dog, Juno, and still working 40 hours or more weekly with medical issues at the age of 70! Whew! It's been quite busy and I never get enough sleep. :shock:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Stepped out this morning to check the Moon-Jupiter conjunction (or near conjunction). Took a few pics with my phone, but they're mediocre - phone camera couldn't handle the brightness difference very well.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I'm living in a DMV nightmare 😆

So 2 years ago my Dad past away and I inherited his car.
He lived in GA so the GA DMV sent me a title with my name on it but with his old address on it.

Then I got them to send me another title, a GA title with my old NC address on it.
Then I took that to NC DMV, and after several more months I get a NC title, but it shows the mileage as 444,444!

So I pay more money for their mistake and in another 2 months I finally get a clear title...

Now I go to the NJ DMV and show them the NC title to get registered here.

Uh oh, the nice lady has to go speak to her supervisor...

Sir, your title shows 4,444 miles and your car now has 13,000 on it, But in the national data base your car has over 444,444 on it!!!

Such fun, now I have to get NC to make the corrections, and in the meantime I can't drive the thing because of insurance regulations.

Such fun 😁
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Returned from the mudfest that was Wacken 2023!
A fantastic time and looking forward to 2024
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ordered a 6x30 SW RACI finder from Telescope Service for my ST102 since I couldn't find any US vendors that had any in stock. DHL delivered it yesterday, faster than most deliveries from US vendors. Mounted and aligned it but no first light yet.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

An ex work colleague and I went here today:

https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronom ... exhibition

Some excellent images on display. We had a great day.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Our new heat pump "mini-splits" are 90% done. One final unit to hook up and months of work will finally be done. Our contractor is really good, but could have done it all in1 week instead of 4, but between anniversary, bad back, emergency calls and weather events - well you get the picture.

Had TWO clear nights last week, but couldn't take advantage because of getting the sheet rock in place in the new bedroom/office. Had to get that done before the inspector shows up to confirm a good install on the mini-splits. Old houses are not up to today's standards, but I do the best I can. No need to poke the bear if you get my drift. Nothing square, level, or parallel. For that matter - not even 24 inches on center can be counted on. Plaster was much more forgiving than sheetrock/gypsum board.

Busy weekend starting tomorrow with Perseid Meteor Shower camping and getting kids their National Park Service "Junior Ranger Night Explorer" badge. So much to do, so little time.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Yesterday morning at 7 AM the power went out followed by a loud bang about 0.5 seconds later from an exploding transformer. It came back on about an hour later. Then tree trimming crews moved in around 11 AM and the power went out again. I have one of the most notorious trees, a huge oak tree that keeps the house cool and has branches pushing on the power lines. After a meet and greet with the trimmers I went for a hike expecting that power would be restored by the time I got back. Not so, googling on my cell phone I found it would be restored by 6:30 PM. At 6 PM I made a pizza in anticipation of this; then the power restore time was changed to 10:45 PM. No TV, no internet, early to bed. That was a long day.

How many more fires and electrocutions do we need to put the lines underground? When I was 5 or so, 1962 in the Netherlands, the utility company buried everything underground and power failures became a thing of the past. Of course, this could be done because it was a semi-government owned company, which makes it possible to plan for the long term. Not so, here. It is cheaper for utilities in the short term to keep everything above ground at the risk of fires and electrocutions and several power outages per year plus ruining our trees, so they will keep doing so with no end in sight.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

So many things going on from meteor watch with clear skies forecasted on Saturday wich I plan to image the radient and be out til dawn.

So last night we packed everything in the car and pulled the interrior light fuses.

An upcoming astro trip to Wyalusing state park to party with the StarSplitters has a new inverter tested in the car (also last night) with my imaging laptop and its working now flawlessly, I am so ready for this little trip after all the storms and damages, time outs with the wildfire smoke and on and on...

Also working on a trip for my and my daughters continued annual astro bonding journey, last year it was Yerkes and I still remain at a loss ideaing this years event.

My Solar imaging of late has been sporatic due to smoke and cloud, trendy year so far...
Aaron
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Who expects rain in August, well it happened. My metal shed observatory without floor was now flooded. Not horribly, and everything was in plastic boxes so it's ok. The humidity is worse than the water. I had yet to secure the bottom to the concrete so I could seal the walls to the floor sometime before the rain hit. I just secured it with 4 bolts and the floor is drying quickly with a fan on it after mopping. When it is dry I will just caulk it and see how it holds up. The water comes in just from one side, I hope the caulking can hold up against the floppy wall. If not, epoxy or hydraulic cement.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Been enjoying the heat here (I lie a lot :P)
Actually had a day of rain last week which was nice but now we are headed into the high 30s for the coming week. So happy I had a heat pump put in a few years back that doubles as an A/C. I stay inside during the heat of the day. Just cannot handle it as well as I once did.

I have been watching the news from the NWT. We moved down here from Fort Smith when I retired and I still keep in touch with folks up there. The town/access is threatened by wildfires and they are currently under an evacuation order so everyone is heading to Hay river. The Thebacha & Wood Buffalo Dark Sky Festival has been cancelled due to the wildfire situation for this year. Hope they are all Ok when it passes.
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:01 pm Ordered a 6x30 SW RACI finder from Telescope Service for my ST102 since I couldn't find any US vendors that had any in stock. DHL delivered it yesterday, faster than most deliveries from US vendors. Mounted and aligned it but no first light yet.
If you ever want to upgrade to a higher quality 6x30 finder I would suggest putting a wanted ad out for a TAL 6x30, they are straight through but the optics and helical focuser are top level and could be considered a small refractor on its own. :)

Takahashi also sells a 6x30 but the price is a bit much.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

First time out with a scope at the new house, now keep in mind I have a tiny piece of property here.

While checking out the Lagoon, I hear a voice say Hello, I turn around and it's a COP!

He asked for my name, then hands me my wallet, apparently it slipped out of my pocket downtown and a good hearted stranger turned it in! :)

I think I need a purse, because this is the second time I lost it, the first time was on a NYC Subway, and again a good hearted stranger turned it in with all my cash/cards.

There is certainly more good than bad in this world.

My wife now carries my wallet for me, but unlike the strangers, she is spending its contents 😆
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Ylem wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:25 pm My wife now carries my wallet for me, but unlike the strangers, she is spending its contents 😆

🤣
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Just finished a 1 year contract back with my former employer....so I guess I just retired again or maybe I just got sacked. :lol:

Don't really care, just looking forward to ending the climate change research and getting back to doing my own thing - astronomy & photography.

I'm spending another week and a half in Canberra taking care of a few things, winding up some data processing that I didn't finish by knock off last Friday, tax return, passport renewal, drivers license renewal, see a few movies, some lunches with friends.

Watched the world cup final tonight........

Rule España, España rules the play,
Britons, never ever ever ever shall win today.

I support Australia and any team playing England! :lol: :lol:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

We've had nothing but clouds and higher winds than normal ever since I received my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount. Of course I can't take all the credit, we're getting the very edge of inclement weather from Hurricane Hillary, but no rain has fallen yet.

Couldn't find the dovetail bar and rings for my 10" f/4 Schmidt Newtonian, and I could hardly step into my telescope/hobby room where they are kept because somehow over the last couple of years, it has become our "catch-all" room. So this weekend I decided to clear out and organize the room. In the process, I found the rings and dovetail bar along with some other items I couldn't find.

Now I thought I'd be able to attach the 10" to my mount. Nope! I'm missing the hex-bolts. I've decided to just buy new ones. If the sky ever clears up, maybe I will be able to try out the mount after I recover from a medical procedure I need to have next week.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I made an effort to waterproof the cracks under the tin can obsy before tropical storm Hilary hit. I did that by squeezing strips of yoga mat foam underneath the long wall where there is a slight dip in the concrete. The foam stabilized the wall bottom that could otherwise move by an inch at the center. I did not expect perfection but was surprised to see that my fix made no difference whatsoever. I suppose it only takes one little gap! So, I'll be mopping the water out again. Next time I will cut the foam off by the wall and add spray foam all around the walls, with maybe a sealant over it. If that doesn't work, I'll make a little rim of cement all around.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

We have smoke on the island for the first time this summer. We usually get it from the mainland but the winds have been in our favour this year.

Been in touch with friends in NWT. They have evacuated Yellowknife, Ft Smith, Hay River and several other communities. 20k+ people. The fires have eased up a bit but new winds are expected. I used to work fire and I know many of the people involved. They are tired but keeping at it. Part of me wishes I was there but another part is thankful I'm not. They would have trouble hearing the radio over my creaking joints :P BC is also getting hit hard with several evacs and only essential travel recommended.

In other news, I won a dishonourable mention in the 2023 Bulwer Lytton Fiction Contest where the challenge is "to write an atrocious opening sentence to the worst novel never written" https://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2023
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I have spent the whole day tracking down all kinds of flexure in my 12" F4 GSO Newt. With my Howie Glatter in the donut, slewing the Newt shifts the position of the laser dot. It causes my flats to be off-center and the coma to be unevenly distributed.

My first suspicion was flexure of the spider vanes for rotations around the optical axis (I even built a counterweight today for the secondary that has an offset - it fixed nothing). Number two was the focuser (can be minimized by tightening the lock). Number three was the mirror cell (I tightened all 6 collimation screws). While each of them had a little flexure, my fixes did not change the amount by which the laser dot shifts when slewing.

For now, I conclude that it had to be flexure of the steel tube and perhaps the mirror suspension. I tried testing that by shaking the OTA on the aperture side. I imagined feeling some springiness and seeing vibrations on the mirror side. I could very well be wrong of course, but I can't think of a good way of testing that. Meanwhile I will collimate the telscope in an upright position as much as I can because that's how it will be used.

It was good to check into this because I might have bought new spider vanes, secondary holder and secondary mirror, but I now believe it would not have fixed it.