What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Nakedgun »

Ylem wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:01 pm It's 5:00 EST here, wifey is officially retired!!!

Uh, oh! Now she'll know what you're doing at all times. :lol:

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Leaving for Wacken music festival at 03:00
It should be 4 days of great music and little sleep!
https://www.wacken.com/en/program/bands/#/bandfilter
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Have a great few days Gabrielle!

Looks like a good line up. Die Andersons look like they're at the wrong gig!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

We have been unpacking at the new house.

The scopes will finally get out of their containers this week :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nakedgun wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:49 pm
Ylem wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:01 pm It's 5:00 EST here, wifey is officially retired!!!

Or rather what I am not doing 😆
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I ordered a QHY5-III 200M guide scope to replace my ASI120MM. The ASI120MM only has USB2, is a bit noisy and samples oddly at 2 seconds, under Ekos. It's still great value for the money and performed well but I could use something that knocks the socks off it. It has a mini form factor so it can fit next to the filter wheel, and also works in an IR range optionally. It's supposed to arrive today.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Ylem wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:59 pm
Nakedgun wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:49 pm

Or rather what I am not doing 😆
Want to bet? ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:52 pm I ordered a QHY5-III 200M guide scope to replace my ASI120MM. The ASI120MM only has USB2, is a bit noisy and samples oddly at 2 seconds, under Ekos. It's still great value for the money and performed well but I could use something that knocks the socks off it. It has a mini form factor so it can fit next to the filter wheel, and also works in an IR range optionally. It's supposed to arrive today.
It arrived and works under SharpCap but not in Ekos, bummer. QHY makes drivers for SharpCap and ASCOM just not for INDI. While INDI supports an impressive range of devices, it depends on volunteers and will always be slightly behind. It does have support for the QHY5-III 200 but its device ID is not the same as that of the model that I received. In other words it's a new model that is not yet supported in INDI. I'll shelve it for now and keep using the ASI120MM, and await a response of the INDI forum.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ordered an Oberwerk cranky tripod (and head). Series 5000 I think.
I had a Manfrotto 475B but sold it, thinking a CF pod would be a lot lighter and I didn't need an elevator column. Bzzzt! Half-wrong answer! :doh: My CF Innorel is super light, but the 475 crank column made things a lot easier when adjusting EP height and removed the need to keep changing the height on my observing chair. Live and learn...

Maybe it'll be good for binos also.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Bought a home recently. Figured if I was going to be paying as much as these South Florida rents, might as well own the home I'm in. The last few months been a very frustrating time wrangling with banks and insurance companies just getting them to do what they needed to do (does ANYBODY have GOOD customer service anywhere anymore?) followed by the moving in period, getting stuff in order the way we want it. After 5 years I finally have my own back yard again, I really need to get my ass back out under the stars.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the new home.

We look forward to reading your first light report!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

I know of plant propagation through cuttings, but someone is taking this a bit too far! (Redwood logs)
Picture1.jpg
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

DEnc wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:22 pm I know of plant propagation through cuttings, but someone is taking this a bit too far! (Redwood logs)

Picture1.jpg
~

Some plants will grow almost anywhere.
I've had weeds sprouting up in the bed of my pick-up truck, on occasion.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Just to clarify, these are new branches sprouting out of the cut (yet still living, for the moment) log.
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

I can't believe how much harder this logging thing has gotten over the last year. I have landed more than a few 100'-plus trees in between rain storms this summer. But everything involved in processing them has been taking a physical toll.
The skyline has vastly improved though, which really became noticeable looking to the east last night. Clear shot to Polaris for polar alignment. Once I land a couple more of the huge ones to the west,I should be able to finally get my observatory installed. Hoping to get it done before winter sets in.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

a100171 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:10 pm I can't believe how much harder this logging thing has gotten over the last year. I have landed more than a few 100'-plus trees in between rain storms this summer. But everything involved in processing them has been taking a physical toll.
The skyline has vastly improved though, which really became noticeable looking to the east last night. Clear shot to Polaris for polar alignment. Once I land a couple more of the huge ones to the west,I should be able to finally get my observatory installed. Hoping to get it done before winter sets in.
There are programs that can do quick plate-solving based polar alignment without seeing Polaris. I use Ekos for this, but Nina has it too. And of course, drift alignment doesn't need it, which you may do one time once you have your observatory.
a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

They say always sacrifice North for a better Southern view, but there was little possible improvement to the Southern view with the neighbor's trees. I am moving the observatory sight considerably northward, where many of those trees had been stunted by poor sunlight penetration (and the monster trees I am cutting now).
I am probably installing a good 50' north from my original location, and hopefully a couple feet in elevation higher once I get some fill brought in. That will do quite a bit to help the southern view. But we are talking more than a couple truckloads.
The back yard is like a war zone, with trenches and uneven ground, etc. with all the stumps pulled and ledge-areas figured out. Giant boulders moved. Drainage paths cut-in. It is a lot for one old dude.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Still unpacking here at the new house.
Its a bit smaller than the old one back in NC, still may need to donate some more household stuff.

I've got decent views of the southern skies and reasonably good views to the east and west. The north has sky glow but is blocked by trees anyway.

Life is good :)
Last edited by Ylem on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ylem wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:24 pm I've got decent views of the southern skies and reasonably good views to the east and west.
:handgestures-thumbup:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:20 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:52 pm I ordered a QHY5-III 200M guide scope to replace my ASI120MM. The ASI120MM only has USB2, is a bit noisy and samples oddly at 2 seconds, under Ekos. It's still great value for the money and performed well but I could use something that knocks the socks off it. It has a mini form factor so it can fit next to the filter wheel, and also works in an IR range optionally. It's supposed to arrive today.
It arrived and works under SharpCap but not in Ekos, bummer. QHY makes drivers for SharpCap and ASCOM just not for INDI. While INDI supports an impressive range of devices, it depends on volunteers and will always be slightly behind. It does have support for the QHY5-III 200 but its device ID is not the same as that of the model that I received. In other words it's a new model that is not yet supported in INDI. I'll shelve it for now and keep using the ASI120MM, and await a response of the INDI forum.
It is now what... day 5 of trying to build KStars/Ekos/indi/indi3rdparty from source code? It's as if I am still working!

My first try was on 32-bit Raspbian Buster Linux 10 using the AstroPi3 script that worked last time for building the libs and drivers. This time, nope. After consulting the INDI forum, I found someone who built on 64-bit Raspbian Bullseye Linux 11. I wiped my Pi and installed Bullseye. Then I got distracted by something that looked like a 64-bit astroberry release on the astroberry site. Unfortunately, there was a certificate problem with that site and Bullseye refused to work around it. Then I followed the plain github instructions for indi and ind3rdparty, and this time they worked flawlessly.

Building KStars/Ekos and its prerequisites was difficult from github. Someone on the Losmandy Hackers IO group gave me a link to a very good script that runs everything at once. The Pi crashed once presumably from overload (heat, memory?). I am resuming it now and it skips everything that was built as it is supposed to.

It looks like I am about to cross the finish line. After searching the entire internet for a script that works! I am deeply grateful to all the good people and developers helping out. Fortunately, looking at the INDI forum, I am not the only one looking for these types of solutions.

Oh yea, it was all about that new guide camera, I nearly forgot about that.