Help with target list?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Help with target list?

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 pm In a nutshell, refractors used with a diagonal will yield an image that is reversed left-right from the normal view. Reflectors, such as my dobsonians will yield a reversed (left-right) plus a flipped up-down view. In otherwords, if I wanted to view my chart in the way it is presented in the eyepiece of my dobs, then I would merely turn the chart upside down. Below is a link to illustrate this:

https://www.astroasheville.org/wp-conte ... tation.pdf

But as with the movement of the stars during the evening, and directions in the sky, this is another facet that we eventually learn to compensate for through experience. I do not invert my charts, but look at them normally, and can adjust myself to the view through my scopes (either refractors or reflectors) easily. Its another one of those things that becomes second nature with experience. There are many facets to our learning curve as we transition from beginner to an experienced hand. It just takes time and desire to travel along that curve. But we never truly reach the end of the curve as there is always something new to learn. :)
Well I want to thank you so very much for all this info today, Alan. I have thoroughly enjoyed it all, and have saved bunches of links and charts to study. You have helped immensely!
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

I found a perfect example of what we are talking about Alan, on p.12 of Turn Left At Orion. I believe I have it understood now. The picture kind of reminds me of that Silly Putty we played with as kids, which could lift newspaper print. I did anyway, I spent hours and hours with SP, then stretched the comic's face into oblivion! :lol:
~Eric
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 pm I found a perfect example of what we are talking about Alan, on p.12 of Turn Left At Orion. I believe I have it understood now. The picture kind of reminds me of that Silly Putty we played with as kids, which could lift newspaper print. I did anyway, I spent hours and hours with SP, then stretched the comic's face into oblivion! :lol:
Yeah I remember doing that as well - man was that a long time ago! :lol: The book you mentioned, TLO, is an excellent book and a solid learning tool.

Glad that at least most of what I said makes sense as I always wonder if it does! :) Once we get a handle on basic concepts and put them into play night after night they do become integrated into our thinking when out under the stars and when planning.

I have always been a devotee of printed sky atlases, and have several ranging from small and simple with a stellar limit of 6th magnitude all the way up to highly detailed and a stellar depth of 12th mag. I will sometimes sit and simply look through one, the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is very good for that. It presents a wider view giving one a nice perspective on each chart and because of its mag 7.6 stellar limit, it is not very cluttered. Anyway, I am pleased to see your keen interest in understanding how to find your way around the sky. Doing so will give you a solid foundation moving forward.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 pm I found a perfect example of what we are talking about Alan, on p.12 of Turn Left At Orion. I believe I have it understood now. The picture kind of reminds me of that Silly Putty we played with as kids, which could lift newspaper print. I did anyway, I spent hours and hours with SP, then stretched the comic's face into oblivion! :lol:
Yeah I remember doing that as well - man was that a long time ago! :lol: The book you mentioned, TLO, is an excellent book and a solid learning tool.

Glad that at least most of what I said makes sense as I always wonder if it does! :) Once we get a handle on basic concepts and put them into play night after night they do become integrated into our thinking when out under the stars and when planning.

I have always been a devotee of printed sky atlases, and have several ranging from small and simple with a stellar limit of 6th magnitude all the way up to highly detailed and a stellar depth of 12th mag. I will sometimes sit and simply look through one, the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas is very good for that. It presents a wider view giving one a nice perspective on each chart and because of its mag 7.6 stellar limit, it is not very cluttered. Anyway, I am pleased to see your keen interest in understanding how to find your way around the sky. Doing so will give you a solid foundation moving forward.
I have the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas as well. Chances are good that you might have been the one to recommend it to me back a few years ago, though I don't remember. In fact, I was reading the Introduction this morning with coffee. And I remembered what you said about the sphere inside a sphere concept, then the TLAO image really put the two together for me. I see things in very geometric fashion, and charts are obviously 2D. So the bulb finally lit, in other words. Thanks again, Alan.
~Eric
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:04 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 pm

I have the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas as well. Chances are good that you might have been the one to recommend it to me back a few years ago, though I don't remember. In fact, I was reading the Introduction this morning with coffee. And I remembered what you said about the sphere inside a sphere concept, then the TLAO image really put the two together for me. I see things in very geometric fashion, and charts are obviously 2D. So the bulb finally lit, in other words. Thanks again, Alan.
Excellent Eric and you are quite welcome. The PSA is an excellent atlas for binoculars and smaller scopes. It has more objects than one will likely see in either, but I favor atlases that plot deeper than I can see. The reasoning behind that is that I do not like finding/seeing things that are not plotted and thus I cannot identify in the moment. If I utilized a planetarium program on phone/tabelet/laptop in the field then that would not be a problem. But I am quite old school and only utilize a red light and atlas in the field by preference. But all that said, I still encounter things that are not plotted in my atlases at the dark site house with the 17.5" - it is simply going to happen sometimes. In those cases I make notes about what I saw and then check it on the laptop after the fact.

But in the end, there is no wrong or right way, only differing ways to achieve the end we desire. The key is to have fun along the way, because as I am fond of saying, the more fun we have the more we learn, and the more we learn the more fun we have. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

I use this site quite often - https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php as well as this one at times - https://telescopius.com/

Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

AbbN wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:41 pm I use this site quite often - https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php as well as this one at times - https://telescopius.com/

Abb
Thank you, Abb. Very kind of you to offer these links. I already had Tonightssky, but I did not have Telescopious. It's among my bookmarks now. Many thanks :)
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Well hopefully tonight, if it is clear enough, I will see some of the Lyrids. If I do, I will report on what I can. I may also look for sone Messiers. I have started my first log, but am keeping it locally for the time being. Hopefully it stays clear enough for some scores tonight.
~Eric