DIY webcam proof of concept

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
chicagorandy United States of America
Articles: 0

DIY webcam proof of concept

Post by chicagorandy »

Real AP astronomers..please look away lest your sensibilities be offended. lol

My ultimate goal is to be able to share the view from my Nexstar on my laptop with friends out on the patio of an evening. Prior to spending any $$ on an actual telescope intended budget video camera, I figured a 'no-cost' proof of concept DIY project was in order.

A few YouTube vids showed how it was done so why re-invent the wheel says I.

Parts - there are just 2 needed - the YT vids show using a film canister, but who the heck has those anymore? I used a pill bottle (at my age you end up with plenty of them - lol) and then an old USB 2.0 very cheap Kodak webcam that for years now has been in a cupboard gathering non-valuable antiquity.

Assembly - A Dremel with a cutoff disc (a hobby or hack saw will work well too) quickly removed the top & bottom of the pill bottle. Some sandpaper cleaned and smoothed the cut edges. Next a craft hot-melt glue gun affixed the cylinder to the face of the webcam after I removed and discarded the camera's plastic base. A Sharpie marker darkened the inside and outside of the cylinder to complete the DIY project.

3 fuzzy pics tell the whole story. I will report back once I get the opportunity to try it out. My telescope lives in a 'foster home'. lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
Lokifish

TSS Awards Badges

Re: DIY webcam proof of concept

Post by Lokifish »

So that's where my pico guider disappeared to. :lol:
micro guider.jpg
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
mcolbert

Post by mcolbert »

waiting with interest! ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C

Post by chicagorandy »

The scope and I will re-unite next Saturday and I'll test the camera then. Didn't make it out to its foster home as expected this weekend. If the light pollution and sight lines weren't so lousy here at my house I wouldn't have these darn delays.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
Tillibobs Great Britain
In Memory
In Memory

Post by Tillibobs »

That's how I began. Next stop, down the rabbit hole ! lol
Gfamily Wales

Post by Gfamily »

You appear to still have the webcam lens in place, but seem to be using it without an eyepiece.

I'm not sure the optics will work like that.

What I suggest is that you try it at home, in the daytime, on a well lit target, so that you can confirm that getting an in-focus image is possible.

I'd rather you found out now, while you still have the time and the tools to fettle, rather than only finding out at the remote (r) location.

ETA: re-reading, it sounds as though your scope is not with you, in which case you may not be able to try it out beforehand.
But I'd still recommend trying it in daytime as soon as you get the chance.
If you can't, then at least try it out on the crescent moon first (in my experience, centering on a target is much more fiddly with a webcam as the field of view can be very small)
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company

Post by chicagorandy »

Hi Gfamily- the webcam itself does of course have a small lens in place that can be focused, which I've done. My "remote site" is 25 miles away, namely my son's lovely backyard patio at his home in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Not exactly a dark site - lol - but much darker than my inner-city yard plus the food and drinks are fantastic and the indoor plumbing is a treat.

Testing the cheapie webcam is my first priority after settling in up there this Saturday evening.

Lokifish

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

A couple things to help make things go faster

Lens in = afocal through the eyepiece but can't be used without an eyepiece
Lens out = prime focus (the telescope acts as your lens) and can be used with an eyepiece for eyepiece projection.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages
Afocal will allow you to set focus with your eye then pop the camera in place an still keep focus. This requires "tuning" the focus on the webcam and making sure it's distance from the eyepiece doesn't change. Afocal also allows you to change the field of view a little bit by simply changing the eyepiece. The drawbacks are flaws in the eyepiece are seen in the image, darker image, and vignetting.

Prime focus allow for the greatest amount of light to reach the camera and without eyepiece aberration and vignetting. The trade off is FOV is fixed, and you need to focus using the camera only. The fixed FOV can be an advantage as you are using a very small part of the FOV with small sensors. So "close up" views of the moon are pretty easy with webcams. Plus if used with an eyepiece for eyepice projection, on can achieve significant levels of magnification.

The drawback for webcams in general is the lack of long exposure times, usually limited to 1/2s max. Another is lack of sensitivity in most cases. There are some very sensitive webcams but is limited to specific models.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
Larry 1969 United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

I did that exact experiment a while back.
I opened the web cam and removed the lens though. (Pretty easy job).
Crazy thing was how zoomed in it was! It was like looking at the moon with my 6.7mm EP in my 1,200mm F4.7 10" dob.
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
mcolbert

Post by mcolbert »

I knew I was keeping the old webcam for something! :)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Gfamily Wales

Post by Gfamily »

Larry 1969 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 pm Crazy thing was how zoomed in it was! It was like looking at the moon with my 6.7mm EP in my 1,200mm F4.7 10" dob.
I think i read somewhere that the image is similar to that seen by an eyepiece equivalent to the size of the diagonal across the sensor.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company

Post by chicagorandy »

Proof of concept setback/fail. The skies did NOT cooperate at all yesterday but I did get the chance to assemble the simple cabling to the scope and fire up the laptop.

Failure came when the durn pill bottle tube I attached to the webcam refused to fit into the diagonal. Just a shade too large a diameter. But holding it in place I was able to see the image on my laptop of the OTA internals etc. so I know it can work. I will go back to the workshop and try again.....or just buy one of the lower cost cameras sold on Amazon ready-made to the task. Like the Svbony 105 or 205. Again NOT for any sort of real AP use, just to display the live EP view to guests over the laptop.

mcolbert

Post by mcolbert »

the frustrating thing for DIYers is that sometimes commercial interests have got there first and we don't have to crack our skulls against the wall in order for our 'great' ideas to work.:)

Post by chicagorandy »

Indeed, but even commercial interests can have a hard time competing with the cost of DIY projects made at NO cost - lol

FWIW an honest-to-by-gosh REAL telescope video camera within MY budget and realistic needs was just now ordered via the good folks at Amazon. Should be in hand by this Wednesday - report to follow.

Larry 1969 United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Gfamily wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:22 am I think i read somewhere that the image is similar to that seen by an eyepiece equivalent to the size of the diagonal across the sensor.
That makes sense. It's an awfully small sensor.
I replaced the web cam with a Revolution R2 imager and the image was more zoomed out but I was still unable to frame the entire moon.
I recently picked up a Canon T3i and it captures everything nicely..... Focusing with a dob is another story though......
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
gcisko United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

The Revolution Imager is the way to go. But it is $299.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC

Post by chicagorandy »

I started a new thread titled 'laptop viewing' to chronicle the success or failure of my new Svbony SV205 camera and .5 focal reducer.