Camera / OTA orientation?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Camera / OTA orientation?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Hello all!

Since I've finally stepped up and got myself a decent imaging rig I think it's time to capture data and save it so I can add to it later. Then I started thinking about how to get repeatable images and now I'm struggling with orientation...
Is there a way to get my camera inserted into the focusser at EXACTLY the same orientation time after time? I think this might be important for stacking images taken over multiple sessions. Also, what's the best procedure for stacking these?
Let's say I have data collected from 3 different sessions and I want to combine it all into a single image. Would it be best to make three separate stacked images (one from each session) and then stack those three to make one image or
load all light frames from all 3 sessions and stack them into one image?

It's been awful cloudy here and this stuff is all I can seem to think about... :smile:

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Camera / OTA orientation?

Post by Dragonsfire »

I used to use some red/white nailpolish and and place a Dot were they both met so I could realign each time.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I don't think you can make something accurate enough. I let software do the work, align by translation, rotation and scale. Nebulosity allows this and it is really slick, even different focal length setups, within reason. I have stacked 5 year old data with fresh stuff from overnight, no problem, just crop off the ragged edges.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

If you are using DSS for stacking, it is very forgiving of different angles between subs. On a night when I do a meridian flip, the images after the flip are rotated by 180 degrees from those before the flip, and it doesn't cause DSS any issue at all. I try to line up the camera with the top facing the front of the OTA every time out and only rotate the camera from that orientation if I have trouble fitting the target in the frame. M31 is an example of an object that just fits diagonally and needs a custom camera orientation for my image scale.

DSS also has methods to stack images of the same target from different nights in a single pass. Those can need to be stacked separately if temperatures require different darks or if orientation requires different flats. When you are ready to do that I can share more detail, or you can find information in the DSS documentation.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Programs like sequence generator pro has a manual camera rotation setting which should tell you how many pixels to rotate to.

Typically for most of my setups including dslr,s I alighn the camera to the declination axis on the mount with an aid of a cross hair in the live view with repeative panning left and right I am able to get it very accurate with minimal wastage.

I believe that if you randomly inserted the camera into the focuser at none parallel angle to the mounts mechanics then when you do a meridian flip there should be a large ammount of miss alighnment in pixels due to the mirroring of the target , you'll have to rotate each time to get the most usable space when doing meridian flip when imaging with such a camera rotation.

A simular effect is seen with cone error when a scope isn't alighned perfectly with the mounts mechanics/axis
Last edited by yobbo89 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

If you want an exact match, do not remove the camera from the focuser.

Another important thing to keep in mind are your flats. As long as you do not alter the imaging train, your flats can be used for the whole imaging session on multiple nights. The moment you pull the camera out of your focuser, etc., you'll need new flats to go with the next imaging run.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for the replies!

I'm using DSS and I'm not opposed to some cropping.

Excellent point about the flats! I hadn't considered that. I just purchased a LED light panel to start shooting them. I suppose I could leave the camera in the focuser...
I always removed it in order to install the lens cap on that end of my coma corrector but I suppose as long as it is inside my OTA when stored dust and such may not be a concern.

I wonder if there is some sort of degree indicator that I could attach to the focuser and then mark my T-ring so I could note the preferred rotation for different targets?

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C