StellarVue RACI finder first light

Discuss any astro equipment that does not have its own forum, such as focusers, finders, chairs, etc.
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

StellarVue RACI finder first light

Post by Bigzmey »

On Friday I managed to catch a break in clouds to snick a trip to Anza. :D Observing report will follow. Here I just want to review my new StellarVue RACI finder. Here it is sitting on my 8" SCT
SV RACI.jpg
You see many posts on forums questioning wisdom of paying extra for the premium astronomy equipment. I have not used it long enough to comment on whether SV RACI delivers better views compared to Orion RACIs I have used for years. However, SV RACI provides many obvious improvements to justify the upgrade; at least for me.

First thing first: It is about the same weight and size as Orion's 9x50 or GSO 8x50, which is a nice surprise.
SV RACI-B.jpg
Ability to use your own 1.25" EPs. Mine SV RACI came with 20mm 50 deg reticle EP which delivers 10x 5 deg AFV. It also takes illuminator which I have not tried yet. I used reticle EP to align RACI to my 8" SCT and then switched to BST FlatField 19mm EP, which provided a bit higher power yet wider 6.5 deg AFV. To me this is the most important feature which gives you ability to match exit pupil, magnification and FOV of finder to the sky conditions and type of observing.

Eye Relief . Somewhat tight ER combined with unprotected metal EP housing on Orion RACI proven to be disastrous for my eyeglasses. With exchangeable EPs on SV RACI you can get as much ER as you want. Even the EP which comes with SV RACI has ~20mm ER and rubber eyeguard.

Helical focuser.Smooth focusing at the EP on SV RACI, much more convenient than front end focuser on Orion's.

Rotatable diagonal with lock - another convenience on SV RACI.

Alignment . Alignment is faster and easier on Orion and GSO RACIs. However, they don't hold it too well, so you have to check every time. 6 point alignment on SV RACI takes a bit longer, but not too bad. Since RACI is fixed in the rings with 6 screws my hope that it will hold it better between the sessions.

Field curvature. One surprise was pretty strong field curvature observed with BST FlatField. With F4 ratio you would expect some, bit that was more than some. Thinking back maybe Flat Field EP was not the right choice and one have to match EP curvature to the scope I will play more with it.

Overall, I really enjoyed using SV RACI. It has addressed a couple of issues I had with Orion/GSO RACIs and ability to use your own EPs is a great option.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Articles: 0

Re: StellarVue RACI finder first light

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Congratulations on the new finder Bigzmey, I love my Antares and Stellarvue RACI!
Well worth the bit extra for them in my opinion. Enjoy the new telescope (it makes a good G&G as well)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Congrats on the new finder, Andrew!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Great to hear! I've been using the Baader Vario 10x60 with my Intes MK66. The SV sounds like a lower cost option to get the same benefits (eyepiece selection). Thanks.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5