Odd behavior with my QHY10

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Odd behavior with my QHY10

Post by XCalRocketMan »

OK, here's a good one for you guys and gals out there in AP land.

For a few years I had used a QHY10 as my only astro camera. It is OSC and made for an easier learning curve. Then, about 2 years ago I purchased a ASI1600mm Pro which is now my main stay for AP. But for comets I still use the QHY10 since it is much easier to take the required subs and not have to deal with filters and the hectic post-processing to follow. This December 23rd I imaged comet C/2017 T2, and I have finally gotten around to processing the images. I took 60 120sec subs. I processed them using the BPP script in PixInsight - using MasterDark, MasterBias and new flats. I ran with calibrate only as I was going to register on the comet head.

What I got from the BPP was a set of almost totally blank images (a few bright white stars, but no comet, and jet black background). Yikes! What happened. I checked everything and ran the BPP again. Same result. So I decided to check out the individual subs to see if anything stood out as odd.

The lights looked OK; lots of stars, a greyish background from the LP and the comet (with a tail!). The MASTER BIAS and MASTER DARK looked about right too - until I checked the statistics of each image. The Mean ADU of the MASTER BIAS was 566. Sounded a bit high, but OK, I'll go for it right now. The MASTER DARK's ADU was 620. Then I checked the lights - an ADU of 413! That's right, lower than a BIAS or DARK. How the heck can that happen??? So it seems when the calibration step starts to subtract the BIAS and DARKS I would get a black result.

This is nuts. What am I missing here? Camera error? Software error? Anyone care to take a stab at this? :)
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Odd behavior with my QHY10

Post by Baskevo »

I'm pretty new to the technical side of things, but the only thing I have seen change the ADU values are 1) using the wrong bit depth, and 2) using different settings under the format explorer. For example, if I analyze the image statistics at 8-bit instead of 16-bit, I get much lower numbers. Furthermore, with my DSLR and under the RAW settings, if I changed from 'demosaiced RGB' to 'Pure Raw', my ADU values would be different.

I have never seen these 2 cases affect the final image though. Wish I could be more help :( Maybe try a different program for reading ADU to see if you get the same results?
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Odd behavior with my QHY10

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Baskevo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:12 am I'm pretty new to the technical side of things, but the only thing I have seen change the ADU values are 1) using the wrong bit depth, and 2) using different settings under the format explorer. For example, if I analyze the image statistics at 8-bit instead of 16-bit, I get much lower numbers. Furthermore, with my DSLR and under the RAW settings, if I changed from 'demosaiced RGB' to 'Pure Raw', my ADU values would be different.

I have never seen these 2 cases affect the final image though. Wish I could be more help :( Maybe try a different program for reading ADU to see if you get the same results?
Tried Nebulosity too - same values. This is really odd.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets