STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

CEM40 EC Review Part 1

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi all -
I've had my new CEM40 EC mount for a little over a week now and have completed setup. The weather has been poor since the mount arrived, and, the next few days don't look promising. So, thought I would start the review with what I've learned so far. This is Part 1 of a 2 part review. Part 2 will deal with the actual Polar Alignment and guiding performance (if and when the weather ever cooperates).

TAKING MOUNT OUT OF CASE
Before taking the mount out of the case you should read the Quick Start Guide which can be found at the link below. When my mount arrived it was in a very nice metal case. However, the Quick Start Guide was not included.
https://www.ioptron.com/v/Manuals/7400_CEM40_QSG.pdf

The CEM40 mount comes with a tripod (1 1/2" std), Hand Controller, built in iPolar system (Polar Alignment system similar to Pole Master), GPS module, 10 lb counter weight, and a few cables. The weight of the tripod + mount + counterweight bar is 29.2 lbs. Getting close to my limit, but, still able to get it up/down the mobile home stairs.

MOUNT
The picture below shows the CEM40 EC mount (along with book cases, dirty carpet, etc.).

The large red knob toward the upper right of the mount is the Dec gear switch. There is an identical knob for the RA gear switch. The knobs rotate a 1/4 turn to Lock/Unlock the gears. Little decals show whether the gears are locked or unlocked. The knobs are easy to turn and don't hurt your fingers (like my ZEQ25 knobs did).

The Dovetail Saddle can be configured (by the user) to accept either a Vixen or Losmandy dovetail slide while keeping both styles centered on the mount. Mine came configured for a Vixen dovetail.

Since I haven't had a chance to do any guiding (bad weather), not able to comment yet on any benefits that may come from the encoders. Really looking forward to seeing if/how these impact Dec backlash. Do the encoders help the guided performance? Many questions but no answers yet.

HAND CONTROLLER
The Hand Controller has all the stars and DSO targets that you would expect. The display is considerably larger and has more information than my ZEQ25 Hand Controller. That will likely prove to be useful.

CABLE MANAGEMENT
The advertised cable management features were part of the reason I purchased this mount. It turns out, the cable management capabilities are even better than I had anticipated. There is an opening in the middle of the dovetail saddle (see first picture below which shows three cables already inserted into the opening) that allows cables to be run through the mount to either the back of the RA axle or the bottom of the Dec axle as shown by the yellow dotted lines in the second picture below. NOTE: The Red line shows the RA axis and the Blue line shows the Dec axis.

I have two Dew Heater cables and the video cable from the guide camera routed through this opening. I have brought these cables out at the back of the RA axle so they exert virtually no torque on either the RA or Dec axes drives. This has made balancing my telescope a breeze. The balance no longer changes as the RA axis progresses through the night.

On the back end of the dovetail saddle there is a pre wired Cable Management Panel (CMP) shown in the image below.

This panel has three connections: USB, Guide, and a DC 12V power connection. This Panel can be moved to the front of the dovetail saddle if desired. The ST4 cable from my autoguider plugs into the GUIDE (ST4) connector on the CMP. The cable from my DSLR plugs into the USB port. That port is pre wired to a USB connector on the back end of the RA axle just below the routed cables come out the back end of the RA axle (see image below). The 12V DC power outlet on the CMP can be used to power CCD Camera, Filter Wheel or electric focusser. I currently don't use this power.

The picture below shows a rear view of the completely cabled setup. The red arrows show the two ends of the DSLR USB connections. the blue arrows show the two ends of the Autoguider ST4 connections.

The picture below shows a side view of the completely cabled setup. Notice that no long cables are hanging off of the telescope itself! All of the cables leaving the mount are coming out of the rear of the RA axle (2 dew heater cables and the autoguider video cable) or are connected to the USB connection at the rear of the RA axle (the DSLR camera USB cable). I really like this setup.

GPS SYSTEM
The GPS system consists of the GPS module and it's coiled cable with an ST4 connector (top left picture below). After the mount is setup and connected to the telescope and turned on, the ST4 connector is plugged into the IPORT connector on the side of the mount (top right picture below). Once the GPS is plugged into the mount, the upper right corner of the hand controller display will show GPS ON as shown in the bottom left picture below. Once the GPS has determined your current time and location it will beep, and, the hand controller message changes from GPS ON to GPS OK (as shown in the bottom right picture below). The GPS information is automatically sent to the Hand Controller. At that point the GPS can be disconnected and put away till next time. Very easy to use.

iPolar SYSTEM
You can get the CEM40 (CEM40 EC) with or without the iPolar system. My mount came with the iPolar system. The iPolar system aids you in achieving Polar alignment. It is located in the center of the front of the RA axle. There is a lens cap that unscrews to expose the optics (see image below).

To setup iPolar:
1) Connect the iPolar usb connector (located on the rear of the RA axel above the cable opening) to your laptop using the supplied USB cable. The first time iPolar is connected to your laptop it will automatically download the required driver to your laptop.

2) Go to the link below and download the iPolar software to your laptop.

https://www.ioptron.com/product-p/3339.htm

3) The iPolar Manual can be downloaded from the link below, and, the instructions are easy to follow.

http://www.ioptron.com/v/manuals/3339_i ... Manual.pdf

One nice thing about using iPolar is that you only need to take the three images the first time you use it. The three images are used to determine the center of rotation of the mount, and, since the iPolar system is mechanically tied to the mount, the center of rotation doesn't change. That will definitely save time for each use after the first time.

Although I have iPolar up and running, I have not yet been able to test it due to lack of clear skies, so nothing more now for iPolar.

This is as far as I can go until clear skies become available. I really like the cable management so far. Should yield much better mount balancing. The iPolar Polar Alignment system looks quite easy to use from the descriptions and one video I saw. However, haven't had a chance to actually use it myself or see how accurate it is. Many interesting parts of this review yet to come.

Hope this helps.

Comments/Questions welcomed.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: CEM40 EC Review Part 1

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice Steve and thank you for the review so far. Hopefully there are no issues when it is time to take it out under the stars :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is a wonderful review Steve.
I am looking forward to part 2 !
Thank you.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for the review, Steve. I have been eyeing the CEM60 for a while before the 40 was announced, and now I am considering which to go with. In a way it is good that you had the time for this part of the setup, so you didn't have to figure EVERYTHING out under the stars one night. Hoping for clear skies for you soon, so you can get out there and really kick the tires!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Don Quixote wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:09 pm This is a wonderful review Steve.
I am looking forward to part 2 !
Thank you.
Thanks - Me too!!
bobharmony wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:28 pm Thanks for the review, Steve. I have been eyeing the CEM60 for a while before the 40 was announced, and now I am considering which to go with. In a way it is good that you had the time for this part of the setup, so you didn't have to figure EVERYTHING out under the stars one night. Hoping for clear skies for you soon, so you can get out there and really kick the tires!

Bob
You're welcome Bob - Good point about the wait. It was rather intimidating at first. Now I'm ready to give it a go.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm Very nice Steve and thank you for the review so far. Hopefully there are no issues when it is time to take it out under the stars :)
Thanks - I'm hoping for a smooth first light.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Brian
Moon Ambassador

Post by Brian »

Thanks for this great review. I have an AVX and am wondering how other mounts perform.
quantOnaut
Earth Ambassador

Post by quantOnaut »

Thanks STEVE333 for this pretty detailed Review, i expect to get my CEM40 during next week and cant wait to go from theory to exercise :-)
i started this Summer with Astrophotography and there is still this excitement and increasing heart rate when putting the scope into service.
By the way is there a part 2 Review available ? I haven't found any?

cheers,

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

quantOnaut wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:31 am Thanks STEVE333 for this pretty detailed Review, i expect to get my CEM40 during next week and cant wait to go from theory to exercise :-)
i started this Summer with Astrophotography and there is still this excitement and increasing heart rate when putting the scope into service.
By the way is there a part 2 Review available ? I haven't found any?

cheers,
You're welcome, and, congratulations on getting started into this wonderful hobby.

You should be able to find Part 2 of the review in this same sub-forum.

Have fun.

Steve
tom3.1416
Earth Ambassador

Post by tom3.1416 »

Steve - thanks for the great info. I am an avid photography who is developing a taste for astrophotography. I am leaning toward buying the CEM 40 tracking mount and would like to ask you some questions. The locations I will use this tracker will not have an AC sources. So I will be using a battery. My problem is getting a battery that will have the needed ports to handle the CEM 40 and a good dew heater. So, what does the DC power cord have on the end that does not plug into the tracker, the end that will plug into the battery? That is one problem. The next is getting a dew heater that will connect to the tracker and battery, too. What heater and controller do you use and what do the "cord ends" look like?

Thanks,

Tom
Maya
Earth Ambassador

Post by Maya »

Hi Steve!

Really good and helpful review! Thank you very much!

I have bought CEM40 myself just recently. I'm a complete beginner in this subject.
I experienced a lot of problems with controlling it via macOS therefore had to jump back on windows.

I have one questions:
How do you take these 3 photos iOptron askes you to take when first connected? Can I use any camera i.e. DSLR, SSD, etc? Please, could you explain step by step?
Also, do I have to take these photos every single time the position of the mount is changed? foe example if I go to the other city?

Many thanks!
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

A great review Steve. Thank you.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter