First Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
highlander2287
Articles: 0

First Telescope

Post by highlander2287 »

Hi,
Looking for my first telescope and came across this site. I wish to view deep space objects mainly from my back yard. At this point I don't plan on travelling with the scope. My budget is about $1500-$2000 and I have mainly been researching deep sky telescopes within my price range that have mainly good reviews from owners. At this time I have 3 on my short list. The Celestron 8se (although slightly over budget in Aus). Skywatcher 200/1000 on HEQ5 stand (have seen one in shop seems tall even on lowest point of stand, I'm about 5' 7". The last is a skywatcher 10" dobsonian, which is the one I am leaning towards at the moment due to the larger aperture. Anyway thats where I am at the moment so I am happy for any comments or suggestions from you learned people.
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First Telescope

Post by JayTee »

Hi,

The Celestron 8se (although slightly over budget in Aus). This is a great all-around scope, you really can't go wrong with this one.
Skywatcher 200/1000 on HEQ5. An 8" Newt on an EQ mount will require you to use a ladder a lot of the time. I know because I owned one and I'm vertically challenged.
Skywatcher 10" Dobsonian. This is your best bet and will give you the most bang for your dollar. The Dob mount will keep the eyepiece low enough that won't need assistance reaching it.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

highlander2287

Post by highlander2287 »

Thanks for your reply JT.
mikemarotta

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

highlander2287 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:39 pm... The Celestron 8se (although slightly over budget in Aus). Skywatcher 200/1000 on HEQ5 stand (have seen one in shop seems tall even on lowest point of stand, I'm about 5' 7". The last is a skywatcher 10" dobsonian, which is the one I am leaning towards at the moment due to the larger aperture. ...
See my reply to puppage here: https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... 866#p48866

You seem to know your limitations: you intend not to travel. You can view from your backyard. You might as well get the biggest "light bucket" you can afford. Realize, also, though, that you will want lenses, collimation equipment (and time to learn how), and probably a camera. At the very least, you will want to attach your mobile (cell phone) just to figure out how to start the process.

I also stand 5'7"(and a half, I insist). And after five years, I still have not found the best combination of what to stand or sit on. I have a plastic box (milk crate), a kitchen step-ladder, and a couple of lawn chairs; and I use an old US Tax Code for a booster.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
drock

Post by drock »

I use a ten inch dobsonian all the time. I use a collabsible hand truck to carry it out to the drive. The nice thing abut a dob is how little time it takes to set up. A quick collation and you are off to the races.
Z10 Dobsonian, Starblast 4.5, a few Russell 2" Konigs, and various other eyepieces.
highlander2287

Post by highlander2287 »

If I stick with the 10" dob I already have a trolley I can put it on to move it around. Being a novice I was at some stage considering the goto setup now available for the dob to assist with finding more objects.
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

highlander2287 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 am If I stick with the 10" dob I already have a trolley I can put it on to move it around. Being a novice I was at some stage considering the goto setup now available for the dob to assist with finding more objects.
I started off with binoculars and if I wanted to see something, I had to go find it. I honed my skils with "star hopping".

When I got my 12" dobsonian, I kept right on star hopping. If the object is within reach of my scope, I can find it easily enough. It's all a matter of putting in the time to get good at star hopping.

Of course, if one is it a rather light polluted area, star hopping becomes arduous or even impossible. GOTO is a must then.

Some folks enjoy star hopping while others can't stand it.

My point is, GOTO is not necessary to finding more objects (sky permitting). One can be quite successful with kicking it old school. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

AntennaGuy United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Among 10" Dobsonians, I understand that this one gets excellent reviews:
https://www.highpointscientific.com/bra ... scope-ad10
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
highlander2287

Post by highlander2287 »

Yes the goto setup is only a later consideration. The 10" dob linked does indeed look quite good. Not sure if they ship to Australia. Would be concerned that it would turn up all ok. Can get a 10" dob for about $800 over here. The goto kit is around $1300 though. Still considering ll options and waiting for xmas/new year period to be over, money wise.
highlander2287

Post by highlander2287 »

I was considering a solid tube dob but am now weighing up a collapsible dob with goto which is on sale at a good price. I have read different things between the two and that collapsibles have more issues so I was wondering what peoples thoughts were between solid and collapsible.
helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 597

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Being a guy who had an 18" collapsible Dob I found assembly and disassembly kind of arduous to the point that I just kept the scope in the living room fully assembled and rolled it out on a dolly when I wanted to observe. If I had to buy one again (I sold mine recently) I would get a solid tube.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
highlander2287

Post by highlander2287 »

Good to know. Thanks.