I can't see star clusters with my phone!

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

I can't see star clusters with my phone!

Post by StarGazer45 »

I've moved to a large terrain far away from the city, so I guess you know what I've been doing. :lol:

I'm trying to take a photo of some star clusters with my phone and a 76/350 reflector, but I can't see anything with the phone!

By the way, I don't know anything about exposition. :sigh: That would help me a lot on being able to see the stars.

I'd like to know the basics of image processing and how to see the clusters (and other celestial objects) clearly in the phone.

Thank you very much,

StarGazer45
Manuel R.

Telescope: 76/350 newtonian Mount: Alt-azimuthal for the 76/350 Camera: Bresser MikrOkular Full HD and iPhone 5S Filters: solar filter for the 76/350 Eyepieces: H4mm, H10mm, H20mm, Barlow lens x2

Blog: https://universeastronomyandstufflikethat.blogspot.com/
Sky: Bortle 5
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I can't see star clusters with my phone!

Post by UlteriorModem »

The image either is probably under exposed, out of focus, moved/blurred, and or needs stretched.

To image star clusters you will need an exposures of at least a few seconds long. Will you pone do that? Can you hold the phone still for that long? They make adaptors that will hold your phone in place over the eyepiece. Also typically several images are taken then 'stacked' together to make a single image with a higher signal to noise.

About the processing, it is a pretty involved subject. First thing to do would be to pick a software sweet such as Gimp, or Star Tools and let the learning begin! you will find many instructional resources out there.

Forgot to add, just google "Astrophotography with a smart phone" you will find lots of help on that subject as well.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

I have a cheap phone adaptor and I manage to focus it well. I take a photo with the phone and the maximum exposure of the image is about 2 to 3 seconds. I'll install StarTools and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice!
Manuel R.

Telescope: 76/350 newtonian Mount: Alt-azimuthal for the 76/350 Camera: Bresser MikrOkular Full HD and iPhone 5S Filters: solar filter for the 76/350 Eyepieces: H4mm, H10mm, H20mm, Barlow lens x2

Blog: https://universeastronomyandstufflikethat.blogspot.com/
Sky: Bortle 5
Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

Maybe you need to call the operator or pay for those long distance calls once in a while. :lol: :whistle:
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi