Creating a basic set of eyepieces for your new telescope

Discuss telescope eyepieces.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Creating a basic set of eyepieces for your new telescope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

One of the most asked questions by beginners, What eyepieces should I get?

There is always a lot of discussion from people on what eyepieces to get with their new telescopes.

Most people seem to want to get the most magnification possible right away, but unfortunately, reality in the form of current atmospheric conditions has a lot to say on that subject.

All telescopes, no matter the type, have an “optimal” range where they perform the best. As you gain experience, you will understand when and how to properly go outside those limits.

This discussion will show you how to generate a good optimum set to start out with and get the most from your scope without the pitfalls of buying something that will not be of use to you.

There are 3 formulae that you will need to know to work this all out. For the beginner, it will show the relationship of telescope focal length, eyepiece focal length, exit pupil, and magnification.

AFOV (Apparent Field Of View) is not taken into account as it is more subjective to the target and style of telescope.

The formulae you need to know to do this are:

1) Focal Length of Eyepiece ÷ Focal Ratio of Telescope = Exit Pupil
2) Focal Length of Telescope ÷ Eyepiece Magnification = Eyepiece Focal Length
3) Focal Length of Telescope ÷ Focal Length of Eyepiece = Eyepiece Magnification

The first thing you need to do is find your starting exit pupil. I prefer to start at 0.5mm, which is usually around ½ the Focal Ratio of the telescope.
The scope we are going to use in the example is my SV 80mm f/6.9 (552mm), so we will start with an eyepiece focal length of 3.5mm

HINT: An eyepiece focal length equal to the Focal Ratio of your scope is normally a 1mm Exit Pupil.

1) 3.5mm ÷ 6.9 = 0.507 or 0.51mm
2) 552mm ÷ 3.5mm = 157.7 or 158x magnification

For spacing the eyepieces, we are going to use a magnification decrease of 1.5x so,

158x ÷ 1.5 = 105x magnification

The next step is to use formula 3.

3) 552mm ÷ 105x mag = 5.2mm (eyepiece focal length)

Use the above formula to work out your exit pupil for this eyepiece and then carry on with the next step.

105x ÷ 1.5 = 70x magnification.

As you work through you will have a list that looks like this.

Set 1 (1.5):
3.5mm -- 0.51 ep -- 158x
5.2mm -- 0.75 ep -- 105x
8mm -- 1.16 ep -- 70x
12mm -- 1.74 ep -- 47x
18mm -- 2.58 ep -- 31x
26mm -- 3.81 ep -- 21x
39mm -- 5.71 ep -- 14x
55mm -- 8 ep -- 9x (unusable)**

Work down till you get to just over a 7mm exit pupil as most people will never be able to use anything larger than 7mm.

It can be used in a refractor as it will not affect the view, in a reflector the shadow of the secondary mirror will start to show as a black spot in the view if you exceed the size of your dark adapted pupil.

Notice also in Set 1 that there is no real need for a barlow lens as dividing any of the focal lengths by 2 will put the new focal length within 1-2mm of the next eyepiece.
For a starter set the range of 8mm - 39mm (substitute a 40mm in place of the 39mm) will work very well.

Afterwards if desired you could add one in the 5.5 or 6mm range and a 32mm on the low range.

Now to work out a second set but this time using 1.6 instead.

Using the example scope and formulas/steps above your chart will look like this:

Set 2 (1.6):
3.5mm -- 0.51 ep -- 158x
5.5mm -- 0.80 ep -- 99x
9mm -- 1.31 ep -- 62x
14mm -- 2.05 ep -- 39x
23mm -- 3.33 ep -- 24x
36mm -- 5.33 ep -- 15x

In Set 2, there is potential for using a 2x barlow as the focal lengths will be in between all the calculated focal lengths.

Most eyepiece manufacturers space their focal lengths at 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6x

Congratulations, you have just generated a useful range of eyepieces for your telescope!

The only thing you need to decide on now is what AFOV you wish to use and do you want a barlow or not.

I have found over time that I prefer to view using fixed focal length eyepieces over using a barlow.

I still have a couple and occasionally will use them, normally in a “grab and go” situation of a barlow and 2-3 eyepieces.

In conclusion:

Most new telescopes come with a 9mm and 25mm eyepieces which unfortunately are usually not of the best quality. Most of these are poorly made Ramsden, Huygenian, Kellner or Plossl which is a shame because when made properly they are actually fine eyepiece designs in the right telescope.

The 9mm and 25mm eyepieces can be considered “work horse” focal lengths. They will always work in any style of scope. When considering buying better quality eyepieces right away, my recommendation is to change these for better quality first.
They are eyepieces that will be in your kit for a long time. They do not have to be the same type as supplied with the telescope. This is where you can play with the AFOV, depending on what you normally want to view.

Using your telescope at the lowest possible magnification has a lower limit for every scope which is normally dictated by the size of your dark adapted eye pupil.
This is considered around 7mm which can and will decrease as you get older.
You can exceed it with a refractor as it will not affect the view, though really would just be wasting money as it just becomes “wasted” light.
In a reflector, the shadow of the secondary mirror will start to show as a black spot in the view if you exceed the size of your dark adapted pupil size.

Highest magnification possible will be dictated by the prevailing current atmosphere and style of scope.
Physics says this is what your scope can theoretically do while the atmosphere says this is what it will be allowed to do. Occasionally, when the two are feeling civil towards each other, you will be able to exceed those limits, but it is not an occasion that happens very often, unfortunately.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Creating a basic set of eyepieces for your new telescope

Post by bladekeeper »

Awesome! Great thread, Gabrielle! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

How is it that I've practiced this hobby for 55 years and have never seen that approach to determining what EPs should be in your case. It shows to go ya that you never know as much as you think you do and hopefully you're never too old to learn. Thank you, Gabrielle!

Very informative,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

When I just started in this hobby going by exit pupil was somewhat confusing and using magnification felt more natural. However, after a few years and hours and hours at the EP, believe me it does work and the right way to go.

I would just add that you don't have to buy the complete EP set right away. The most useful exit pupils where most of my observing is done are 1mm, 2mm and 4mm. You can fill the space in between later as you gain more experience and get better understanding of what features in EPs are needed for your observing style and types of targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good point Bigzmey, this article only generates a useful set to get a beginner out observing without spending money on the usual ultra high power eyepiece choice.
I do need to do the next section about best exit pupils and AFOV use.
Once work is a bit calmer I will get started.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is good Gabby. Thank you for putting this up here.
SpyderwerX
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by SpyderwerX »

Great info, Gabrielle! :)
~Frankie~ My mind: Always on...Slightly off. :?
Celestron CPC1100 SCT....Celestron Evolution 8 SCT...TeleVue-85 apo...SkyWatcher ST150 achro..ST102 achro..ST80 achro.
Celestron AVX...Orion Atlas EQ-G...SkyTee-2...Twilight-1.
Baader BBHS prism and mirror diagonals + Vernonscope quartz 1.25"
EPs: TeleVue oldie (NJ) & modern Plossls, Widefields, and Naglers + 3-6 zoom & Brandons 6-32.
Astronomik, Lumicon & Baader filters..
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Excellent article Gabrielle!

Good additional comments Andrey.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
chicagorandy United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by chicagorandy »

Thank you, this type of information presentation is REALLY a great learning tool for total astronomy rookies like me. There is just enough 'technical' data and your writing style conveys it in an easy manner without suffering info overload.

As soon as I refill my morning coffee mug I'm grabbing a calculator, legal pad and pen to work the number for my 127SLT Mak-Cass.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The older I get, the better I was.

Celestron Nexstar+ 127 SLT, several budget plossl eyepieces, Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP and a 12.5mm illuminated double reticle EP, Svbony SV205 camera w/.5 focal reducer, Celestron SkyMaster 20x80 binos on a 40 yr old QuickSet PanHead tripod, Stellarium, Sharpcap and ManyCam on my laptop, SkyView and Nightshift on my phone and a dandy little $9 red-light flashlight.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Another point in favor of eyepiece selection by exit pupil is that once you see a hard to detect object in one telescope the best choice for detecting it again in another telescope is to use the same exit pupil. Using the same magnification is not as likely to work.

One thing that annoys me about optics shoot out reviews involving multiple scopes is that the authors often go to great lengths to assure that the comparisons are done at equal magnification. This is a common but flawed method. If you want to see whether contrast details and resolution are comparable equalizing the exit pupil is the way to go.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Kos
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kos »

Всем привет! Очень полезная статья по окулярам и их выбору: http://astro-talks.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=622 , рекомендую! Не забудьте включить google переводчик!
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

Kos wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:20 pm Всем привет! Очень полезная статья по окулярам и их выбору: http://astro-talks.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=622 , рекомендую! Не забудьте включить google переводчик!

or for that matter, to have a wife who hails from Volgograd!
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thanks Gabby, that's a solid basis for anyone to use when getting started.
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

It is a good idea to buy eyepieces that are close in weight. If there is a great difference in the weight of the eyepieces, one will have to constantly rebalance the scope.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Using a brass or steel eyepiece adapter will usually take care of the balance issue when using 31.7mm and 50.8mm eyepieces.
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Thank you Gabby.
Great information for anyone starting Astronomy.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 am Using a brass or steel eyepiece adapter will usually take care of the balance issue when using 31.7mm and 50.8mm eyepieces.
Great idea, can you show me a link to such an adapter.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Refractordude wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 am Using a brass or steel eyepiece adapter will usually take care of the balance issue when using 31.7mm and 50.8mm eyepieces.
The Equalizer....

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page ... Tab=_equil
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you have a mill shop close to you, you can also take a standard aluminium adapter to them and have a brass copy made.
These will usually come out a bit heavier than the TeleVue.
This one cost me 20€ to have made. A copy of the Mercury Systems adapter: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1927
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 pm
Refractordude wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 pm
The Equalizer....

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page ... Tab=_equil
Great info, but what about switching from a 12 ounce 2" eyepiece to a 20 ounce 2" eyepiece?