Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Post by gregl »

Well, we had tacos, but the grand finale was what, in family lore, will be forever known as "The Salsa Grenade."

My sweetheart was cleaning up after dinner. Picked up the little tub of salsa to put it back in the fridge. Oops. Dropped it. When it hit the floor the top came off like a fragmentation grenade and salsa went e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. On her shoes. On her jeans and her sweatshirt. On her neck. On her glasses. All over the island cabinet. Four feet up on the moulding around the door to the back hall. On the cabinet under the toaster oven. Five feet up the fridge door. Another five feet up onto the microwave, and all down the oven underneath to the floor. Across the kitchen floor four feet one way and six feet the other way.

The total volume was perhaps 1/4 cup, but the result looked like a homicide crime scene. A new record was set for how much mess can be made with a small amount of goop. Went through at least a dozen paper towels, many squirts of Windex, and tossed the remaining salsa.

The good news is that, in the end, because the dinner was leftovers, the total time in the kitchen worked out to be about the same. But I don’t think we’ll be having salsa again in the immediate future.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

That must have been awful Greg. Your poor sweetheart must be feeling really bad about that. But accidents do happen :roll:

You probably didn't find it amusing at the time, but it appears to have prompted an early 'spring cleaning' job :twisted:

The kitchen won't need to be cleaned for a while anyway.

I hope you didn't get mad with her, but I am sure you were sympathetic like a good supportive partner should be :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:46 am ...

I hope you didn't get mad with her, but I am sure you were sympathetic like a good supportive partner should be :lol:

Oh, we don't get angry about those things (but at the moment we may use some Navy language about our own clumsiness). Just a week earlier I did a similar thing with a jar of honey, although she now holds the record for area covered. And, unlike Sweetheart, it was unnoticed on the sole of my boot and I tracked it all over the kitchen floor. So now the floor is very clean and the various vertical surfaces that needed cleaning anyway are shiny like new!
:P
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Leftovers du jour

Looking in the `fridge yesterday I had some mushrooms, peppers, and corned beef that where all getting a little older than I like. There was also something growing on one of last week's onions.

:Think:

Coarsely chop

Two medium size sweet onions
An 8 oz package of Cremini (Baby Bella) mushroom
Two small sweet peppers

Brown the veggies in a large skillet over medium heat in 2-3 tablespoons of butter or oil.

Add 2-3 cups of diced up meat. I had about a half pound or so of corned beef from last week that needed to go. Any precooked meat will work.

Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes to let some of the liquid boil off.

Once the veggies are browned, add 4-6 cups of mashed potatoes. I actually used a family size package of Bob Evans frozen mashed potatoes that had been in the freezer over a year. I microwaved that according to package directions while the veggies were cooking.

Season to taste - I did some coarse black pepper and a little garlic powder.

Wisk up 4-6 eggs and mix into the contents of the skillet.

Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring once or twice to distribute the egg and veggies evenly.
When you have a little browning on the bottom turn the heat off and let it rest about 10 minutes.

potato mash up 20220210.jpg

I was going to use up a couple of broccoli crowns but I ran out of space and this had plenty of flavor already.
You can vary the quantities of potato and egg to suite your tastes or, in my case, the expiration dates of the contents of the refrigerator.

Enjoy
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Had pepper and sea salt flavored fried fish with rice. Added black eye peas and green beans to the rice with garlic. A few days ago I had spaghetti with a turkey sausage sauce. I do not like cheese in my pasta sauce, but KeeryGold butter makes the sauce very yummy.
Attachments
diner 1.PNG
diner 2.PNG
diner 3.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Chicken stewed with onion, celery, garlic, sea salt, paprika, and black pepper. After skimming off the chicken fat I added a can of black eye peas and a quarter stick of Kerry Gold butter. This was a good meal over jasmine rice.
Attachments
food 2.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Fried up some chicken and tried Old Bay's hot sauce for the first time. A pretty decent hot sauce.
Attachments
meals 1.PNG
meals 2.PNG
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:56 am Fried up some chicken and tried Old Bay's hot sauce for the first time. A pretty decent hot sauce.
Well...
nami.gif
nami.gif (1.23 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Chicken wings stewed with broccoli, plum tomatoes, paprika, celery seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, and sea salt. Nice over jasmine rice. Really enjoyed drinking the left over broth. Left click the image.
Attachments
meals 1.PNG
meals 2.PNG
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Here is our feast for this Sunday evening. Large lemon-pepper marinated chicken breasts baked and added over a bed of cooked white rice with some chopped Jalapeno peppers added. Very tasty indeed, but now comes the kitchen cleanup. :roll:
Marinated Chicken on Rice.JPG
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Tonight we had air fryer grilled pork chops and fresh asparagus. The pork chops were seasoned with kosher salt, ground black pepper, parsley, and a few drops of Colgin mesquite liquid smoke.
Into the air fryer grill:
Pork chops in grill.JPG
and plated up with the asparagus:
Pork chops plated up.JPG
This turned out to be a delicious meal and I hope that all of you have a great weekend.
Marshall
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Makuser wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:59 pm Hi all. Tonight we had air fryer grilled pork chops and fresh asparagus. The pork chops were seasoned with kosher salt, ground black pepper, parsley, and a few drops of Colgin mesquite liquid smoke.
Into the air fryer grill:
and plated up with the asparagus:
This turned out to be a delicious meal and I hope that all of you have a great weekend.
nami.gif
nami.gif (1.23 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Did a real good job at eating $12.00 worth of food at the Golden Carrol a few days ago. Left click the image.
Attachments
fat.PNG
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. I finally got our Easter Sunday dinner picture from the camera and up onto TSS. Boneless leg of lamb roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, and fresh cut green beans.
Plated up:
Leg of lamb.JPG
I hope that all of you had a very enjoyable Easter dinner with family and friends.
Marshall
>)))))*>
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Show Us What You Had For Dinner/And Your Recipes

Post by Makuser »

GCoyote wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:13 pm Looks good Marshall. Our last air fryer drew so much power we couldn't use any of the other counter-top appliances at the same time. The new one seems more efficient and I'm still getting the hang of it.
Any good air fryer ideas you come across, I'd like to see here.
Clear skies!
Hi Gary and all. I was looking over the last year or so of the great meals, recipes, and photos on here and I realized that I never addressed your post. So, I can tell you that both my Emeril Lagasse 360 Airfryer and PowerXL Airfryer Grill both draw 1500 watts each. We can put either one on the kitchen counter and no problem with any other electrical appliances. However when I need to use both, such as grilling steaks or fish on one and rotisserie on the other, I put one on the cart and position it at the other end of the kitchen cooking area and plug it into the separate dining room circuit.
Emeril Lagasse 360 Airfryer.JPG
PowerXL Airfryer Grill.JPG
Now moving forward, Sheri and I have really been having fun with the air fry from frozen concept lately. You can get packages of frozen cheese pepper bites, chicken nuggets, mozzarella cheese sticks, mozzarella cheese bread, egg rolls, spring rolls, fish sticks, onion rings, french fries and you name it for low money. And, they are ready quickly and with no oil.
Here are a some temperature and time guides for air frying from frozen. The first is a comprehensive three pages and the second is a handy single page
Airfry from frozen1.jpg
Airfry from frozen2.jpg
Airfry from frozen3.jpg
and
Airfry from frozen4.jpg
Airfry from frozen4.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
Air fryers come with many cooking capacities, power capabilities, temperature ranges, and food placement arrangements (bucket, rack, roasting pan, basket). So you have to experiment with what works best, but after awhile and with some experience, you can air fry all of your favorite frozen snacks quickly.
I hope this helps folks and have a great weekend.
Marshall
>)))))*>
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Thanks! I'll check some of these out.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Sheri and I made slooooow cooked ribs and corn off the cob yesterday. We were busy cooking, eating, and cleaning that I didn't get a photo last night. Large ribs slow cooked (almost 5 hours) and then transferred to baking pans and into the oven and smothered with Open Pit Hickory bbq sauce. The corn was yellow and white with chopped Vidalia white sweet onions, chopped green bell pepper, chopped Jalapeno pepper, diced red pimiento, and a little Kosher salt. Here it is reheated and plated up tonight:
Ribs and Corn.JPG
I hope that your Memorial weekend was fun with your family and friends and you enjoyed a nice feast too. In fact, show all of us what you cooked, enjoyed, and served.
Marshall
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Crispy skin salmon
Crispy skin salmon: - brush with olive oil, grilled on low grill bar non-stick stovetop grill pan
Topping: parsley, basil, garlic, spanish onion and capers. Lower grill pan heat. Pour a little olive oil mix onto the salmon oil in the pan. Add onions and heat through until the onion softens and goes a little translucent then add the herb mix and warm. Don't burn the herbs and garlic.
Served with: herb potatoes.
crispy skin salmon parsely basil garlic capers red onion.jpg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Been craving noodles lately, so I'm pondering boiling some egg noodles in chicken stock, adding some sliced carrots, cabbage, and whatever Korean sauce I can find in my pantry. Going to be winging it. Oh yeah - garlic! No such thing as too much garlic. :grin:

I might have some kimchi in the fridge to add for a little zing.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Cheese-less pizza with green beans and ansjovis! Desperation is the mother of invention. With the olives and pre-cooked mushrooms, it's not bad really. The ansjovis with pesto mixed in is tasty.
IMG_1050.JPG
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images