Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Post by Refractordude »

GCoyote wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm Not recipe, more of a safety tip. I made a batch of soup over the weekend, trying to use up all of my ageing vegetables. I had about 3/4 of a pound of Brussels Sprouts that were going to go bad soon so I chopped them up and tossed them in as well. They overwhelmed all the other flavors. Fortunately my wife is travelling on business so it's just me and my odd soup for the next few days.
Once in nursery school they tried to make me eat Brussels Sprouts, it did not go well. I would add some fresh chopped garlic.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

GCoyote wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:11 pm Not recipe, more of a safety tip. I made a batch of soup over the weekend, trying to use up all of my ageing vegetables. I had about 3/4 of a pound of Brussels Sprouts that were going to go bad soon so I chopped them up and tossed them in as well. They overwhelmed all the other flavors. Fortunately my wife is travelling on business so it's just me and my odd soup for the next few days.
Hi Gary,
You can remove the outer leaves from ageing Brussels sprouts and cook as normal.

Brussels sprouts cooked for extended periods always develop a bitter strong taste. They are best when cooked quickly.

I like mine par boiled whole, then quartered and tossed through onion and garlic sautéd in Olive oil and turmeric powder.

regards

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 am Hi Gary,
You can remove the outer leaves from ageing Brussels sprouts and cook as normal.
Brussels sprouts cooked for extended periods always develop a bitter strong taste. They are best when cooked quickly.
I like mine par boiled whole, then quartered and tossed through onion and garlic sautéd in Olive oil and turmeric powder.
regards
Joe
I just like mine steamed. Never ever buy the frozen. Always get fresh if you can, trim away the bad leaves and steam.
I then slather them with lots of butter and a dash a pepper. Could make a meal out those alone. :drool:
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

515bonner wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:53 am
Could make a meal out those alone. :drool:
And I frequently do! :drool:
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Sorry guys, but neither Sophia nor I like Brussels sprouts (or Garlic) so I can't join in with your celebration of them - ugh!

So if I ever show any of our future meals on here, you certainly won't see any sprouts :lol:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Vanessa,

That's ok. I hated them when I was young probably related to eating some that were boiled to death. The taste you associate with them is caused by overcooking. Cooked properly, they are delicious.

Joe
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

We frequently have roasted 'sprouts but my wife got hit with a busy travel schedule and a big pot of soup was the least complicated option.

With cooler weather setting in the slow cooker and the oven will start seeing a lot more use as the salad days of summer come to an end.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:37 pm Hi Vanessa,

That's ok. I hated them when I was young probably related to eating some that were boiled to death. The taste you associate with them is caused by overcooking. Cooked properly, they are delicious.

Joe
I will take your word for it Joe (but I am still not tempted :lol: )
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

It is interesting how peoples food taste varies. I use to deliver for Dominoes Pizza. Could never get use to the smell of black olives on pizza. It is a terrible smell. Smells like burnt candy.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Gary and all. I went through the same thing last night with our green beans. Since it is just the two of us they sat in the refrigerator for several days. I got them out and cut down the best beans and they still turned out great. As to Brussel sprouts, I do NOT like them. Although native to the Mediterranean region with other cabbage species, Brussels sprouts first appeared in northern Europe during the 5th century, later being cultivated in the 13th century near Brussels, Belgium, from which they derived their name. Its group name Gemmifera (or lowercase and italicized gemmifera as a variety name) means gemmiferous (bud-producing). So this must be a late newcomer to the cabbage family from Mother Nature? To me they taste woody and bitter. I was fortunate to attend a book signing event in Orlando years ago with one of my cooking gurus/heroes Alton Brown and got an autographed book from him. Also, on one of his "Good Eats" DVDs, a nutritionist was explaining the many varieties of the cabbage family and SHE didn't like Brussel sprouts either! And on the old TV show "Leave It to Beaver", Beaver Cleaver would leave his Brussel sprouts under his chair at the supper table. I love all kinds of vegetables, even creamed Kohlrabi, but you can keep the Brussel sprouts and artichokes. However my wife Sheri loves them so I made this dish for her on Mother's Day. Roasted Brussel sprouts with a sprinkle of olive oil, kosher salt, and ground black pepper and she loved them. You always have to try to please everybody.
Brussel Sprouts.jpg
Brussel Sprouts.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

We taste what our genes allow us to taste.
Other genes are involved in determining preference or avoidance of bitter flavours. For example, a compound known as PROP (6-n-propylthiouracil) is commonly found in green vegetables such as broccoli, and contributes to creating a bitter taste. People who have the gene for a bitter receptor known as TAS2R38 are able to taste the compound, either mildly or very strongly. Those without the gene for this receptor are unable to taste it. This explains why some people like their greens more than others.
https://theconversation.com/the-science ... coli-68168
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Beef & Ale Casserole

beef-ale-casserole.jpg

Serves 4

Ready in 2 hours 15 minutes

500g lean beef braising steak
Low-calorie cooking spray
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 tsp tomato purée
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
1 dried or fresh bay leaf
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml hot beef stock
50ml dark ale (we used Bishops Finger)
10g fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
1kg floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper or king Edward, peeled and chopped into chunks
200g fat-free natural yogurt
400g Brussels sprouts, large ones halved

There is one main alteration to this recipe for our particular preference;
(1) Brussels sprouts have definitely been left out.

1. Season the beef with a little salt. Spray a large, lidded, non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Fry the beef in batches until browned, then transfer to a plate.

2. In the same pan, froth onion and celery over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until starting to soften - add a splash of water if they start to stick. Add the tomato purée, thyme and bay leaf, and fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the beef, carrots, tomatoes and stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over a low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender enough to be cut with a spoon.

3. Discard the bay leaf and stir through the ale and parsley. Cook for a further minute, then remove from the heat and season to taste.

4. While the casserole is cooking, boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain, then mash, stir in the yogurt and season. Keep warm over a low heat until ready to serve.

5. If you wish to have Brussels sprouts, boil them for 2-3 minutes, or until just tender, then drain.

6. Once the casserole is cooked, serve with the mash and sprouts, and top with a twist of black pepper.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

The Beef & Ale Casserole is delicious. We have just both cleaned our plates and Sophia was very impressed with the result :D

We now have some left over for another day.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:33 pm The Beef & Ale Casserole is delicious. We have just both cleaned our plates and Sophia was very impressed with the result :D

We now have some left over for another day.
Vanessa,

I love those stewing cuts when slow cooked. I have read that it takes a minimum of 1h45m simmering for the gristle & sinew to break down. Less than that and you have a tough chewy meat. I usually simmer these types of dishes for 2.5-3hrs. In this case, I agree with leaving out the Brussels sprouts. The long cook will make them bitter. I would add them in to the pot just for the last 10 mins!

Thanks for sharing.
Joe
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Big breakfast before work this morning. If there is a Golden Corral in your area try them out.
Attachments
buffet.PNG
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Refractordude wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:58 am Big breakfast before work this morning. If there is a Golden Corral in your area try them out.
I have to limit my big breakfasts these days but that's great location if you have a long day before your next meal. Lots of variety.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Fresh bread for breakfast. 5 cups of white flour, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of almond flour (I normally don't do that but it was left over), a hand full of Quaker oats, 4 cups of buttermilk, salt, lots of oregano, some olive oil, a bit of baking soda, then 45 minutes in the oven.
IMG_1016.JPG
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:13 pm Fresh bread for breakfast. 5 cups of white flour, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of almond flour (I normally don't do that but it was left over), a hand full of Quaker oats, 4 cups of buttermilk, salt, lots of oregano, some olive oil, a bit of baking soda, then 45 minutes in the oven.

Looks good Henk. No yeast? Just baking soda to get it to rise? So does that mean you don't need to let the dough rest?
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:39 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:13 pm Fresh bread for breakfast. 5 cups of white flour, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of almond flour (I normally don't do that but it was left over), a hand full of Quaker oats, 4 cups of buttermilk, salt, lots of oregano, some olive oil, a bit of baking soda, then 45 minutes in the oven.

Looks good Henk. No yeast? Just baking soda to get it to rise? So does that mean you don't need to let the dough rest?
Right, no yeast. This was originally an Irish soda bread recipe. With the oregano I threw the Irish part out or the Italian part in. I like the bread a bit dense so I don't use much soda. Too much soda makes it bitter. This is super easy and quick to make.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

An early dinner was made before an over due trip to my dark site. Chicken wings stewed with tomatoes, paprika, garlic, thyme, cumin, and sea salt. Growing up in New York City I had a lot of Puerto Rican friends. So plantains are not new to me. Saw a ripe bunch at the Walmart. Browned a few of them up with some Kerrygold Irish butter. Left click the images.
Attachments
meal 1.PNG
meal 2.PNG