Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Show Us Your Great Meals This Week And Your Recipes

Post by Refractordude »

It was so good I made the same stew this evening. This time I added a chopped onion to the jasmine rice. Now I have a bunch of wingtips for a soup. Left click the image.
Attachments
good meal.PNG
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Tonight Sheri and I had air roasted salmon fillets and air fried potato wedges:
Salmon Potatoes.JPG
Sorry, but I couldn't resist a taste test of the salmon before I took the picture. The recipe is easy. 4 medium potatoes washed and wedged, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of Emeril's original Essence mixed in bowl. For 1 pound of salmon 1/2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of Emeril's original Essence.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Chicken wings again. This time stewed with garlic, paprika, cumin, sea salt, diced potatoes, and black eye peas. Stocking up on the wing tips for a nice soup. I may just deep fry them. I love crispy fried wing tips. Left click the image.
Attachments
meal 2.PNG
meal.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Fried the wheat flour covered Whiting fish fillets with pepper and sea salt. The jasmine rice was cooked with broccoli cuts, sea salt, and garlic. Left click the image.
Attachments
food.PNG
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Fish fillets stewed with a bell pepper, onion, tomato, mucho garlic, Italian seasonings, and Kerrygold butter. Served over jasmine rice. I let it condense down to about four parts water and one part butter. Left click the image.
Attachments
food 1.PNG
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Here is my "pot-au-feu" : Boiled beef ( 2 different pieces, today beef cheek and beef rib not seen here) together with leek, turnip, potato, carrots and onion(with a clove), pepper. Add salt later. Eat with my personal condiment : half ketchup, half mustard.
IMG_5171.JPG
Enjoy !
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

No pics, but bacon-wrapped scallops and grilled octopus with whipped potatoes for dinner last night. Heavens, it’s tasty! 👍
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Sheri and I usually just make a roasted turkey breast for Thanksgiving, but we still had a 14.5 pound turkey in the freezer. This was leftover from last year but my mother and youngest son couldn't make it down here from Alabama and it was the same this year. So, out it came and it turned out quite well with the dressing, mashed potatoes, lima beans, and gravy. So we went through the usual ritual of reheats, sandwiches, turkey noodle soup, and I even made a chilled turkey salad. So, here is the final dish and then it's gone. Here is our Turkey Ala King:
Turkey Ala King.JPG
This is an easy recipe from my mother that we added a few changes over the years.
4 qt. stock pot
3 cups of chopped (bite sized) turkey pieces (white, dark, or mixed meat)
1 cup of diced celery (I like to de string the backs with a small peeler first)
1 cup of young peas
1/2 cup of diced white onions
3 tbs. diced pimientos
1 can of chicken stock
2.5 cups of milk
3 tbs. butter
1/4 cup of corn starch (mixed with water)
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
Ladle the finished Turkey Ala King onto hot buttered toast.
First add everything but the milk, butter, and corn starch into the pot and bring to a low boil (to cook the vegetables)
Remember to keep stirring. Then reduce the heat and add the milk and butter. Keep stirring. When it is consistent, now raise the temperature to a low boil again and add the stirred corn starch and water mixture until the milk thickens and keep stirring. Don't let it get too hot with milk in the mix! Add the Kosher salt and ground black pepper making frequent taste tests to get the flavor that you want. Remember, you can always add more salt, but you can't remove too much. The above quantities will nicely cover 10 pieces of hot buttered toast.
Addition options:
1. Some recipes call for sliced baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms. Another is diced green bell peppers.
2. For seasoning, you can also add sweet paprika, lemon pepper, or tarragon.
This same recipe also works fine for Chicken Ala King too. I hope that you get a chance to try this and that you enjoy it.
Marshall
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

If your ever in the Fairfax Virginia area tryout ShishKabob Express. I really enjoyed my first time eating Persian food. It was very good with about 20 items on the buffet. It is not a fancy place, but welcoming, clean, and just $15 bucks. I had two and half plates. Really time for me cut back and go on a diet. I can not tell you what is on the plate. However, it was all good. Left click the image.
Attachments
buffet.PNG
buffet 2.PNG
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Here is our Christmas morning breakfast. Loaded Veggie and Cheese Omelettes:
Christmas Omelettes.JPG
Recipe:
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbs milk
2 Tbs. chopped white onion
4 black olives, sliced and the slices quartered
2 Tbs. chopped green peppers
1 Tbs. diced pimientos
2 slices of deli sliced cheddar cheese chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Stir everything well
If like me, you never mastered flipping an omelette in a 10" pan successfully, you can use this:
GT 101.JPG
My mother gave us this for a Christmas present in 2004. You just pour the preparation into the 4 wells and in 10-11 minutes you have perfect omelettes. And, you also have the Christmas colors too. Red from the pimientos, Green from the bell pepper, and White from the onions. This was a great way to start a beautiful day along with some V8 or Clamato juice. I hope that all of you are enjoying a wonderful time with family and friends today along with lots of great food. :romance-grouphug:
Marshall
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

The frozen turkey had a hole in the packaging when I thawed it out.
So, we went out searching the stores. No turkeys!

Decided on a change. Crawfish Etouffee! Cooking soon.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Australia being hot at Christmas, lighter cold meals are a real treat. The seafood counter at the supermarket in Young had beautiful seafood when i went shopping on Thursday. i didn't go on Friday to avoid really crazy crowds.

They had tiger prawns that were just so plump and fresh, not a dark head or glazed eye in sight. I ate them straight away on Thursday night in a prawn and avocado salad. not wanting to give them any chance to go off at all.
Prawn salad.jpg

Christmas Day
Salmon belly portions pan grilled with crispy skin served with a tomato and avocado salad. Love my gas stove. Always found it so hard to regulate temps on my old electric stove in Canberra.
Grilled-Salmon.JPG
Young is one of the premiere cherry growing regions in Australia. One more perk living out here. I bought this 2kg box of prime ripe A grade cherries from a local grower at a cost of USD10/kg, roughly half the price they are charging in the city for sub-prime cherries. The cherries available in the city have to be picked earlier to give them time to wholesale and distribute before Christmas. For reference, the width of my thumb is about 21mm.
Cherries.JPG
The first fruits off my apricot tree look like they'll be ready in about a weeks time. Still tinges of green on the yellowing skin. This is a picture of last years ripe crop.
Apricot tree-6563.jpg
When the apricots are done, my peaches are just about ready to pick.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

My Christmas food: boiled potatoes, carrot casserole, liver casserole, two sorts of mayonnaise-salad (don't know what they are called in English) and ham. In the glass there's beer-like stuff I don't know an English word for. That was ofteh used as a drink in the hay fields and such. Called "kalja". Maybe @pakarinen knows...?

Portion 1 of 2.
IMG_20211226_163738_small.jpg
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:53 pm My Christmas food: boiled potatoes, carrot casserole, liver casserole, two sorts of mayonnaise-salad (don't know what they are called in English) and ham. In the glass there's beer-like stuff I don't know an English word for. That was ofteh used as a drink in the hay fields and such. Called "kalja". Maybe @pakarinen knows...?

Portion 1 of 2.

Hmm, the Russian version of kalja seems to be called kvass.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Today quite similar 2 portions as in my previous post. Just a bit more casseroles.
The second Christmas time I recall, when I ate a bit too much. I don't remember when the previous incident happened, but we still lived in the old place, so that must have been 1996 - 1999.
- Juha

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Perogies tonight!

These are not our homemade version though, just some store bought ones.
IMG_20211227_184748078.jpg
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Endive wrapped in ham with a DIY cheese sauce. This is a recipe that my mother used to make. About two hours in the oven at 350 covered with aluminum foil, take it off the last 20 minutes to let it caramelize. I had it with some fresh baked Irish soda bread with butter and a garden salad.
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:08 am Endive wrapped in ham with a DIY cheese sauce. This is a recipe that my mother used to make. About two hours in the oven at 350 covered with aluminum foil, take it off the last 20 minutes to let it caramelize. I had it with some fresh baked Irish soda bread with butter and a garden salad.

Looks good, and it looks like a man's portion.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Not a meal, just dessert. My daughter asked that I recreate the Poires Bourdaloue that she remembers from past December holidays and so I obliged.

app.php/gallery/image/2572

It consists of an open shell tart crust of pate brisee', which when baked is coated with a glaze made from apricot jam and kirsch cooked until it clarifies a bit. Then a layer of almond cream and cocoanut macaroon flavored custard. This almond cream is then impressed with halved pears poached in vanilla and lemon syrup. An overcoating of the apricot-kirsch glaze is then applied. Finally a garniture of blanched pistachio and crushed macaroon tops it off.

It was received successfully. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:42 pm Not a meal, just dessert. My daughter asked that I recreate the Poires Bourdaloue that she remembers from past December holidays and so I obliged.

app.php/gallery/image/2572

It consists of an open shell tart crust of pate brisee', which when baked is coated with a glaze made from apricot jam and kirsch cooked until it clarifies a bit. Then a layer of almond cream and cocoanut macaroon flavored custard. This almond cream is then impressed with halved pears poached in vanilla and lemon syrup. An overcoating of the apricot-kirsch glaze is then applied. Finally a garniture of blanched pistachio and crushed macaroon tops it off.

It was received successfully. :)
Looks delicious, and sounds even more delicious. I think I'd eat even the glass coating of the plate.
- Juha