CEM60 compass

Discuss iOptron mounts.
biswasg India
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

CEM60 compass

Post by biswasg »

On iOptron's CEM 60, there is a small compass. However, it point incorrectly, the North points towards the actual South. The instruction manual does not talk about this compass. Anything I am missing?
Thanks
Vixen A105MII achromatic refractor
Vixen SLV eye pieces 25mm and 10mm
iOptron CEM60
Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: CEM60 compass

Post by KathyNS »

I am not aware of a compass on the mount. Mine is more than ten years old, so perhaps they added it in later models? Are you sure it is not the bubble level that you see? Compass or not, if it is not working, then don't use it.

When I need to find north, I either use a handheld compass in the daytime, or I use Polaris at night. An alternative in the daytime is to check when solar noon occurs in your location and to use a shadow at solar noon to find north.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
biswasg India
Earth Ambassador

Post by biswasg »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:18 pm Are you sure it is not the bubble level that you see? Compass or not, if it is not working, then don't use it.
Attached is the photograph [image] app.php/gallery/image/3054[/image].
Vixen A105MII achromatic refractor
Vixen SLV eye pieces 25mm and 10mm
iOptron CEM60
Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Interesting. Yup, that is definitely a compass. They must have changed the design.

Although the body of the mount is cast aluminum, the elevation and azimuth adjustment screws are steel. If they happen to be magnetized, the compass has no chance of reading correctly. So just ignore it and use other means of determining direction.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin