Solar Imaging Recommendation

Post your solar images here.
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Solar Imaging Recommendation

Post by AstroBee »

Hello everyone, It's great to see so many people active in the solar imaging category here on TSS. I can only imagine as we get closer to Solar Max that the number of interested folks will increase. This week the Sun is particularly active with over 12 active regions! A far cry from eclipse day when there were only 2 active regions visible!
This brings me to my recommendation and please, this is only a recommendation if you can accommodate it. In most night-time astrophotography we don't really worry too much about which way is "up". But in solar imaging, especially if you like to follow active regions across the disk over multiple days, it's really helpful if you try and orient your camera and capturing software so that North is up. It's really simple to do if you are using a scope and separate camera. Simply open up SpaceWeather.com and look at the solar disk image on the left column. You can click on it and make it full screen. Then, before you start capturing your data, rotate the camera until your view of the sunspots sort of line up with the view shown on the website. It doesn't have to be perfect, just get it roughly lined up. If you image over multiple days you will be able to see and understand the rotation of the surface of the Sun a bit better. Due to different types of scopes, reflectors and refractors or using a diagonal or not, you may then need to flip the image in your capture software. I feel like most of us use SharpCap for this and in the column under camera controls there is an option to flip the camera view horizontally or vertically or both. Do whatever it takes to line up your image.
Here's a sample of the image from SpaceWeather.com and my latest image. the rotation is not 100% perfect but it does make it much easier to identify active regions on the Sun.
Image Image

This is not a plug for SpaceWeather.com. There are many professional sources such as:
https://www.solarmonitor.org/
https://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/
https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg

Again, this is just a friendly suggestion. Afterall, you would post a pic of your pet like this, would you?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Solar Imaging Recommendation

Post by Graeme1858 »

Excellent recommendation Greg. Good to get these things right.

Fine looking dog too, if I hold my laptop upside down.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
StarHugger United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by StarHugger »

I static capture by letting the Sun track across a diagonal sensor with accuracy the end result being the Sun imaged the way its actually seen in the sky, off by 60°

When using a none tracking mount, this is the proper method to keep things right side up and on the chip through out the imaging day...

A slight ajustment can be made in post but the Sun displays as actually seen in the sky at the time of capture so I leave it there.

Providing though you started with your Solar Pup right side Up 😆

Somewhat upside right I do agree...
Last edited by StarHugger on Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Specializing in Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering & Visual Observation Since-2020

Solar Imaging Sessions 50 / Solar Observing Sessions 199
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very well written, for the neophyte that I am, thx Greg.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: