Mini Computer

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
JeffBevan United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Mini Computer

Post by JeffBevan »

What mini computer are you using, I'm not asking about ASAIR etc. but what fullfledged mini computer are you using? I'm not really willing to go the distance with a Primaluce but they are certainly intriguing.
Home built dome, 12" Meade LX 200 OTA, cem 60 ec, sbig stf 8300c, Starshoot AutoGuider Pro, Orion Off-axis
patience!
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mini Computer

Post by AstroBee »

Jeff, I'm running an i3 NUC that I purchased about 4 years ago. I don't remember the exact specs and it's packed up right now for the eclipse trip.
A couple of things to consider. Get an i3 model if you plan on powering this little guy in a field off a battery. It's still going to require a step up transformer because most of the intel NUC's require 19v power. Not really that big a deal, it's just another little attachment to the rig.
I've heard very good things about the tiny fanless PC's like the MeLE Quieter 3C Fanless Mini PC N5105. https://store.mele.cn/collections/mini- ... 2909489330
It probably doesn't have the power to run SharpCap if you are doing lucky imaging but I'm not sure.
If power is not an issue, like just using it at home or in an observatory, I would recommend an I7 NUC.

The advantage of the devices like the ASIair and the Primaluce models are that they have integrated 12v power outputs for cameras and other gear plus usually variable output ports for dew heaters.
Going with a NUC you are going to need something like the Pegasus Powerbox to provide 12v power to your other devices. Also, A WiFi travel router to create a hotspot so you can remote into it from a tablet or your phone.
https://pegasusastro.com/products-power ... tribution/
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... 896&sr=8-6
That's what I do.

You can see all of these devices in this photo of my rig.
All of those devices are mounted on a vixen plate that I screw into the side of my tripier so it's just one bolt and off it goes into its carrying case.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I purchased a couple of them (one for each of my mounts). Both are the cheap Amazon purchased mini's. But I've used them for over 4 years with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY ... UTF8&psc=1
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

My MeLE Quieter 3Q is a champ.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i'm using a nuc clone (Kogan Atlas C300 Mini PC 2.3GHz Celeron) with ram and m.2 sd upgrade ,runs good no hicups for a few years now, fit's inside my pier ,runs on 12 volts , you could probably get away adding a small touch screen to it
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .