Discuss solar related topics.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Eclipse Practice

Post by The Wave Catcher »

Today after the clouds burned off, I did a practice run for the upcoming April 8th total solar eclipse at my location. The partial eclipse last October was good practice too.

I made a cardboard shade to go on my AT80ED 80 mm, f/7 refractor telescope to keep glare out of the eyepiece. I compared the ease of viewing and photography between my telescope and my Sony DSC-H400 camera. I used a Meade Glass White-Light Solar Filter SF #450 with my telescope and a Thousand Oaks Optical Solar filter for the camera. I found that my wide angle Stellarvue 15 mm (37x), 82° eyepiece was the best for viewing and for use with my iPhone 14 Pro camera.

Though my camera has taken excellent Lunar and Solar photos in the past, it is very difficult because it lets me control nearly every aspect of the camera except the focus. There is no manual focus. Therefore, shots of targets at infinity truly depends on “lucky imaging”. Here is the one focused image that I got with it today out of many.

Below was captured by holding my iPhone to the eyepiece. I have a good iPhone mount for my telescope but it is more trouble than it’s worth. With the short exposure times for the sun and the Moon, just holding the phone camera up to the eyepiece produces I ages that are acceptable to me.

After the sun fell behind the trees, I started observing birds. A nice thing about this Astrotech telescope is its incredible focus range. With the 15 mm eyepiece I can extend the telescope to the point where I can focus on objects only about 5 m (20 ft) away! Here are some examples.

Cedar Waxwing

Mourning Dove

Brown-headed Cowbird

For the eclipse, I plan on mostly just enjoying the event with my own eyes. I will waste time with the real camera and if z9 take any photos, I will use my iPhone. I will setup my simple telescope so family and friends can observe the eclipse as it progresses. I’m sure at least a million people will be taking photos so I’m going to focus on experiencing the eclipse. Maybe family photos with crescent shadows all over them and such. At least now I won’t have to fiddle during the show, I know what I’m going to setup.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Eclipse Practice

Post by Mike Q »

We are running our test today. The iOptron mount is happily keeping the sun nicely center in a 32mm Q70. Sorry the image isn't all that great but i just held my phone over the eyepiece to snap the image
Attachments
IMG_20240324_133742337.jpg
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Very nice setup Steve, and some incredibly good Afocal pics!! I think you've got the right idea on how to go about all this. Keep it simple and enjoy the show :D

Hoping it all works out for you and your famiy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Going to have to go through my gear to see what I may use.

Hopefully not the umbrella 😬
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D