Observing Report for 11 March 2024 - ruffling the lion's mane

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 11 March 2024 - ruffling the lion's mane

Post by kt4hx »

I’ve been looking for a good chance to do some galaxy hunting before the moon regains control of the night sky this month. But between weather and life’s requirements, I had not been successful until this opportunity shook loose. Since the forecast held for good transparency, though seeing would be a bit rough, I headed over to the dark site house for an evening of galaxy hunting.

My primary focus was working in western Leo between the lion’s head and the Cancer border. My hopes were that I could also pick up a fading supernova in western Virgo to wrap up the evening, despite the poor seeing and its diminishing stature within the host galaxy. After deploying my gear about 1930 hours, I headed back out about 2030 hours to begin my quest. Turning my Uranometria to chart 93 I started my galaxy hunt just 1.5° west of mag 5.0 Xi Leonis with a triplet of galaxies.

(Equipment used)
17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (and red light)

NGC 2872 (Leo, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.9, size=2.1’x1.8’, SBr=13.3):
I easily spotted this elliptical using 152x as a somewhat bright, small thick oval disk. I immediately noticed a stellar core set within its envelope. It was quite obvious at 199x dominating this field that contained three galaxies. This elliptical, along with the spiral NGC 2874 are also known as Arp 307. (New)

NGC 2874 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=2.4’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
Immediately east of the previous object I easily spotted the other portion of the duo known as Arp 307. At 152x it was slightly dim and small. The disk was a slender oval and revealed an intermittent stellar core at its center. It was more apparent at 199x, and while dimmer than NGC 2872, it was not difficult to pick up. (New)

NGC 2873 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=15.4, size=0.7’x0.2’, SBr=13.0):
Plotted in the same field of view with the members of Arp 307 was a third galaxy. Northeast of the previous pair, it was only fleetingly suspected at 152x, or perhaps this was a case of averted imagination. Anyway, I quickly went to 199x and confirmed my suspicions of this galaxy within the field. It was a very small and very dim out of round diffuse glow. I was only likely seeing the brighter central region of this object. At times it would drift out of view as seeing worsened, only to return as the view settled down again. (New)

NGC 2911 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=11.5, size=4.1’x3.2’, SBr=14.2):
I moved ESE to find another grouping of galaxies (four this time) that lie east of a line between Xi Leo and 6 Leo (mag 5.1). Most easily seen was the dominant member of this little group. This lenticular is also known as Arp 232. Using 152x it presented a small and slightly bright oval disk that was of lower surface brightness. Subtly large to the eye, it contained a stellar core. Viewed at 199x it was quite obvious to the eye. (New)

NGC 2914 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.0’x0.7’, SBr=12.6):
About 5’ southeast of the previous object I also picked up this little spiral using 152x. A little dim to the eye, its oval disk displayed a non-stellar brightness in the core. At 199x the core became intermittently stellar and the galaxy was more apparent overall. This object is also catalogued as Arp 137 (New)

UGC 5093 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=13.0):
Not quite 5’ south of NGC 2914 I studied the field at 152x and came up with a third galaxy, as plotted in the atlas. It was very dim and very small, but its homogeneous oval disk was clearly seen. Even at 199x it remained a visually weak object, though not supremely difficult. (New)

NGC 2919 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.8):
Shifting my attention about 15’ northeast of NGCs 2911 and 2914, I picked up this object. Using 152x it appeared as a small and dim slightly thin oval disk. It was evenly illuminated across its envelope. More apparent at 199x, it remained a ghostly sliver of light. (New)

NGC 2913 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=12.7):
About half a degree south of the previous grouping I located this spiral. With 152x it was a fairly faint and small rounded disk. Homogeneous to the eye, it remained a weak visual object at 199x. (New)

NGC 2939 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=2.5’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
I nailed down this galaxy about 14.5’ southeast of the previous object and nearly 50’ southwest of mag 3.5 Omicron Leo (Subra). With 152x it revealed a small and subtly bright oval disk. I noticed a broadly bright core that was slightly elongated in the major axis. Using 199x the core now appeared more stellar and the galaxy’s disk was more elongated as extensions to its outer halo became more apparent. (New)

NGC 2940 (Leo, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=0.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Only about 5.5’ north of NGC 2939 I picked up this fairly dim and small oval disk using 152x. Its core area appeared slightly brighter than the surrounding halo. More apparent at 199x, its core revealed a very intermittent stellar appearance as seeing shifted. (New)

NGC 2948 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.9, size=1.4’x0.9’, SBr=13.0):
This spiral was located about 2.5° south of the previous galaxy duo. Using 152x it appeared as a small and slightly faint oval disk with subtle non-stellar core brightness. More apparent at 199x, there seemed to be a very fleeting stellar appearance that was off-set slightly from the center of the galactic disk. This occasional blink of a foreground star was very erratic in the poor seeing. (New)

NGC 2943 (Leo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.5, size=2.2’x1.2’, SBr=13.5):
Returning to Omicron, I hopped northward first to mag 5.4 Psi Leo and finally to 8 Leo (mag 5.7). About half a degree NNE of this star I located a scattered grouping of six fainter galaxies. The brightest of the lot was this elliptical. I found it slightly bright and slightly small in visual extent at 152x. Oval in shape, its disk displayed a broadly brighter core set within. Viewed with 199x it was an obvious object in the field of view, and it exhibited an intermittent pop of a stellar core. (New)

NGC 2941 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=12.7):
This dim bulb was in the same field of view immediately to the west of NGC 2943. Using 152x it presented a very small and pretty dim rounded disk that was evenly illuminated. Viewed at 199x it was a little more obvious, though certainly not bright by any means. Its core now appeared intermittently stellar. (New)

NGC 2946 (Leo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.2’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
About 7’ east of NGC 2943 I spotted this small and dim thin homogeneous oval disk at 152x. It remained dim though more apparent at 199x, with its envelope still being smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 2933 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.9’x0.3’, SBr=12.8:
About 9’ west of NGC 2943 I also picked up this fairly small, elongated dim oval disk at 152x. Initially it seemed homogeneous, but at 199x I was suspecting either a very sporadic stellar core or quite dim foreground field star. Nonetheless, this object was faint, though clearly seen. (New)

NGC 2928 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.5):
Next up was this spiral about 11’ WSW of NGC 2933. Small and fairly faint at 152x, its smoothly illuminated disk was appeared as a thick oval. It remained dim at 199x, though not difficult. Its envelope remained smooth and even. (New)

NGC 2949 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=13.1):
The last member of this scattered grouping was this spiral, which I located about 20’ southeast of NGC 2943. Spotted using 152x, it revealed a pretty dim and very diffuse small rounded disk. Viewed also with 199x it remained a weak visual object, and its envelope had a ghostly appearance. (New)

NGC 3020 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=11.9, size=3.2’x1.6’, SBr=13.5):
Moving to the mag 6.4 star 23 Leo, I located another little group of galaxies about 20’ to its southwest. Easily the dominant member of this group of four was this spiral. At 152x it was somewhat bright and slightly large. Its slightly elongated oval disk was diffuse and an intermittent stellar core was noted. At 199x it was quite obvious within the view, with two of the remaining three in this group easily visible within the same field of view. (New)

NGC 3024 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.1, size=2.1’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
Nearly 6’ southeast of the previous object I also noticed this little dust bunny at 152x. It presented a small and subtly bright thin disk with a very intermittent stellar core popping in and out. At 199x the galaxy was obvious in the view, and its core remained sporadically stellar. (New)

NGC 3019 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=15.0, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
This very faint little dust mote was picked up using 152x, but with some difficulty. As seeing shifted it would drift in and out of view. It displayed a very small diffuse rounded disk, and a very dim field star was noted nearby. I also took a look at 199x and while it was modestly more apparent and held full time through shifts in seeing, this galaxy remained quite dim, smooth and evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 3016 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.2’x0.9’, SBr=12.9):
The final galaxy in this little grouping was easily spotted about 5’ southwest of the previous one. At 152x it was considerably easier than NGC 3019, presenting a dim, small homogeneous thick oval disk. Viewed at 199x it was an obvious object in the view, remaining evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 2954 (Leo, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.7’x1.1’, SBr=13.1):
I back tracked slightly having noticed this galaxy plotted a little over 1° northwest of previously mentioned star Psi Leo. Easily spotted using 152x, it presented a small and slightly bright oval disk containing a stellar core. Very obvious at 199x, its envelope remained diffuse, and its core clearly stellar set within. (New)

NGC 3041 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=11.5, size=3.7’x2.4’, SBr=13.8):
I now moved northeast of Psi Leo, about 3.5° to locate this spiral. I found it somewhat bright and slightly large at 152x, presenting an oval disk that seemed to be uneven in light distribution. I found it exhibited some subtle central brightness within its uneven envelope. I noted a 12th mag field star immediately to its southwest. Viewing at 199x, the sense of uneven light distribution across its envelope was more pronounced. The core also appeared brighter and more prominent. Checking images of this galaxy after the session confirmed my suspicions about its mottled appearance. This unevenness was due to the transitional areas between the brightness of the spiral arms and the lower light of the dust lanes between them. It is always fun to pick up such detail in galaxies. I have attached an SDSS image of this galaxy to illustrate the appearance that I detected in a subtle manner. (New)

ngc3041wide.jpg

NGC 3053 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.8’x0.9’, SBr=13.1):
Just over half a degree southeast of the previous galaxy, I spotted a second. Using 152x, this one appeared small and slightly bright. Its oval disk sported an intermittent stellar core winking in and out at the center. Using 199x this object was obvious within the view, with a diffuse envelope and intermittent stellar core. I also looked for NGC 3048 (mag 15.4) west of this object, but was unsuccessful. (New)

NGC 3060 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=2.2’x0.6’, SBr=13.1):
Up next was yet another spiral, about 26’ NNE of NGC 3053. Viewing at 152x, this object presented a small but subtly bright thin oval glow that was smoothly illuminated. I found it quite obvious at 199x and its presentation remained homogeneous to the eye. (New)

NGC 3153 (Leo, spiral galaxy, mag=12.6, size=2.1’x0.9’, SBr=13.3):
My last galaxy in Leo for this evening was found just over a degree northeast of brilliant Regulus. I found it small, oval in shape and slightly bright to the eye at 152x. It appeared smoothly illuminated across its disk. Viewing with 199x it was fairly bright, with its envelope having a smooth, diffuse ghostly appearance. (New)

At this point I was getting tired and was about ready to call it an evening. But before I do, I had planned to attempt to pick up a fading supernova in the Virgo galaxy NGC 4216. Located at the western edge of the Virgo galaxy cluster, it would be a bit lower in the eastern sky. However, this object is fading to well past its peak, and is currently listed at mag 14.9 by Sky Tools 4. However, the lower elevation and weak seeing might make it a bit challenging.

NGC 4216 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=10.0, size=8.1’x1.8’, SBr=12.8):
Aiming the scope at bright Denebola (Beta Leonis), I star hopped about 6.5° to the east to pick up 6 Comae (mag 5.1). I then nudged about 1.5° south, crossing into Virgo, to pick up mag 8.8 HD 106774. About 14.5’ to the southwest in the field of view I easily spotted this previously observed bright galaxy. At 152x it was a very bright and very thin strip of light, with tapered ends. The core was a bright non-stellar presence and the extensions in the major axis faded as the eye followed along toward the tips. This is a very fine galaxy indeed, but now to why I returned to this field.

SN 2024gy (Virgo, supernova in NGC 4216, listed mag=14.9, type=Ia):
Studying the host galaxy, NGC 4216 using 152x, I was not picking up any signs of the fading supernova. I went ahead to 199x and after a few minutes I felt I was perhaps picking up a few winks of a presence, but against the haze of the galaxy’s disk and the poor seeing, it was never a stellar point. I then went up to 283x and sat with the object for a bit. Finally, in moments of steadier seeing, I confirmed the brighter spot I noted at 199x was a stellar point at the correct position within the galactic disk of NGC 4216. The lower elevation and weak seeing conditions made this one a bit of a tough nut to crack. (New)

NGC 4222 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=3.3’x0.5’, SBr=13.6):
Interestingly when I had the aforementioned star HD 106774 in the field of view, I noticed a dim, very thin sliver of diffuse light about 4’ west of the star. After finishing with the supernova, I returned to this object, as it was not in my log. Studied at 152x and 199x, it remained a ghostly little slice with a slight central bulge and tapered tips. Its core region exhibited a modest uptick in brightness. Dim and small in visual presentation it was nonetheless easily spotted next to the star. (New)

After my little foray into Virgo, my evening was complete, as the time was around 2330 hours and admittedly I was a wee bit tired. I had an enjoyable time in Leo, working around the lion’s head. This constellation is overflowing with galaxies, ranging from the well known to the obscure. Under a dark sky one can spend multiple evenings within the lion’s lair in pursuit of these distant star islands. I have observed over 150 galaxies in this constellation and I am no way close to running out of possible targets! Anyway, thanks for coming along on my journey and I wish you all clear skies.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 11 March 2024 - ruffling the lion's mane

Post by Unitron48 »

The great "Galaxy Hunter" is at it again! Super job tracking down the fading SN, Alan!

Certainly VROD worthy!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:12 pm The great "Galaxy Hunter" is at it again! Super job tracking down the fading SN, Alan!

Certainly VROD worthy!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Hope you are doing well. For myself, I am slowing down a bit, but still fighting the good fight. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I think Dave said it best, you should have a award for galaxy hunting!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:07 pm I think Dave said it best, you should have a award for galaxy hunting!

Thank you very much Gabrielle. I am sure it is quite obvious that galaxy hunting is my passion in this hobby. While I know it is not for everyone or even most, it is indeed what motivates me and gets my juices going. While I enjoy observing all manner of DSOs, galaxies have held a very special place for me ever since I observed Messier 51 with my old Coulter Odyssey II dob in 1980. The beauty of the revealed structural detail cemented galaxy hunting into my psyche. The same primary and secondary mirrors are still in use today in my 17.5 inch truss dob that is kept at our dark site house. :icon-smile:
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good hunting Alan and congrats on catching the SN! Nice to see your back in your element.

On my side the clouds are still messing with me. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:20 pm Good hunting Alan and congrats on catching the SN! Nice to see your back in your element.

On my side the clouds are still messing with me. :lol:

Thank you Andrey. It seems to be a rough start to the year for you out there for sure. I hope that changes in the near term so you can get back into galaxy hunting yourself.
Alan

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I agree, this deserves a vote for a vrod.
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 pm I agree, this deserves a vote for a vrod.
thx.

Thank you Jean-Yves.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Great report, VROD worthy indeed!
Spring constellation Leo is full of nice galaxies, although for an urban observer it is quite empty. Not hindered by this I'd say you did a good job.
Not long ago I spotted NGC2903 in the head of the Lion, only a very faint smudge that is. I wonder if you would see spiral arms in it?
Thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:24 pm Thank you Dave. Hope you are doing well. For myself, I am slowing down a bit, but still fighting the good fight. :icon-smile:
Sometimes I feel the same...."slowing down" that is. I'm glad I have my Brandon 94 and a decent alt-az mount for "light work" observing.

I'm getting lazy also. I have had a few great sessions at Morning Calm Observatory lately, but have been too busy or lack motivation to report. And coming up I have an 8 April Solar Eclipse event to host at the Culpeper Library, a 14 April observing session to support the "Out of this world" concert held at Lenn Park in Culpeper, and a 16 April STEM event at one of the local elementary schools! On top of that I'm supporting the Classic Telescope booth at NEAF again this year!!

But I love it!!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:43 am Great report, VROD worthy indeed!
Spring constellation Leo is full of nice galaxies, although for an urban observer it is quite empty. Not hindered by this I'd say you did a good job.
Not long ago I spotted NGC2903 in the head of the Lion, only a very faint smudge that is. I wonder if you would see spiral arms in it?
Thanks for your report!

Thank you John. Indeed Leo is fine galaxy hunting ground, but I fully understand the plight of the urban observer in those terms. While my home skies are not as bright as yours are there, the difference in what I can pick out at home and at the other house is quite significant.

Regarding NGC 2903 specifically, I have seen spiral structure in this fine galaxy. Typically it is not as robust as something like Messier 51, but of a more delicate, subtle impression. Sometimes it can be more of an inferred nature caused by the uneven light distribution, and the transition between brighter (arms) and darker (dark lanes) areas. This mottling affect can be quite noticeable in various galaxies. Another detail of note is the HII region NGC 2305, which is located at the northeastern end of the central bar. It at times can be quite apparent, as well as the bright core, which can appear slightly elongated (bar). I will add that from the dark site, I can typically see this galaxy in the 8x50 RACI finder on the scope as well. This is one of the finest non-Messier galaxies and is better than some on his list.
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:00 pm
kt4hx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:24 pm Thank you Dave. Hope you are doing well. For myself, I am slowing down a bit, but still fighting the good fight. :icon-smile:
Sometimes I feel the same...."slowing down" that is. I'm glad I have my Brandon 94 and a decent alt-az mount for "light work" observing.

I'm getting lazy also. I have had a few great sessions at Morning Calm Observatory lately, but have been too busy or lack motivation to report. And coming up I have an 8 April Solar Eclipse event to host at the Culpeper Library, a 14 April observing session to support the "Out of this world" concert held at Lenn Park in Culpeper, and a 16 April STEM event at one of the local elementary schools! On top of that I'm supporting the Classic Telescope booth at NEAF again this year!!

But I love it!!!

Dave

I guess the main take away is that while we are slowing down, we are not "dead" in the water just yet! :lol: I do get the thing about the occasional lack of motivation or just plain laziness. We have that option in life now, but we still like to get out there and do our thing when we feel up to it, and that makes life better!

We plan to go back to Indiana (where we are from) for the eclipse, provided the weather will cooperate. Otherwise we will not travel. We were lucky in 2017 as we went to Kentucky and had clear skies for the event then. Regardless of slowing down, you still sound quite busy though my friend!
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Just a great report on Leo and it's gossamer wonders Alan. Congrats also on a well deserved VROD as nominated by many of your peers!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:33 pm Just a great report on Leo and it's gossamer wonders Alan. Congrats also on a well deserved VROD as nominated by many of your peers!

Thank you Michael. I appreciate your comments and the VROD. It makes me happy that my observing peers enjoy reading of my galaxy adventures. :icon-smile:
Alan

scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by scribbly »

Hi Alan,
it has been a while since I have been on channel, depressing Wx for months (who'd think so in Oz).
So nice to read one of your observing reports again. A great read, thank you.
I am now the owner of a fully manual dob, and am really enjoying the challenge. I am mostly
chasing down familiar suspects and mostly finding them, though I suspect I have quite a lot
of skills development to do. Your descriptions of navigating are really helpful.
Congratulation s on the VROD.
Thanks, Phil
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

scribbly wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 am Hi Alan,
it has been a while since I have been on channel, depressing Wx for months (who'd think so in Oz).
So nice to read one of your observing reports again. A great read, thank you.
I am now the owner of a fully manual dob, and am really enjoying the challenge. I am mostly
chasing down familiar suspects and mostly finding them, though I suspect I have quite a lot
of skills development to do. Your descriptions of navigating are really helpful.
Congratulation s on the VROD.
Thanks, Phil

Thank you Phil. Sorry to hear about your weather. Based on your and Joe's observing recently, hopefully that trend has broken in your favor.

Star hopping is certainly not an intuitive skill. Rather one that is learned and refined with more time spent under the stars. Even after doing it for decades, I still get lost and turned around on occasion. The key there is not to become discouraged, rather to use those moments as lessons by which to learn. Figuring out where one went off track, then returning to a known star to begin the process again. Its not like the object you are seeking is going anywhere in those few minutes of being off track. :icon-smile:

Good luck to you there and I wish you clear skies and great observing Phil.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:32 pm Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan