Long Weekend of Deep Sky Observing

Let's see your reports!
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Long Weekend of Deep Sky Observing

Post by OzEclipse »

My mate Phil @scribbly came up for the weekend last weekend. It was a long weekend in Canberra so Phil stayed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I organised clear weather for all three nights.

On Friday night the transparency was quite poor (an understatement). Fires in three equally distributed directions, pollen and other vegetation detritus was so thick floating through the air that my flashlight clearly illuminated it. On Saturday night the air was clearest and on Sunday night, like an orchestra reaching a crescendo, the transparency was quite superb.

Equipment
I set up my 6" f7 Newt and 18" f5.5 Dobsonian.
Phil brought his Takahashi TSA120 and a Hansen Optical Genstar 10" f5 ultralight ultracompact Dobsonian previously owned by Alan Dyer.

Eyepieces:
Joe: 31mm 17mm Nagler, 21mm & 14mm Denkmeier, 10mm Pentax XW
Phil: 22mm Nagler, 21mm Denkmeier, 14mm Denkmeier, 11mm Nagler

My reported observations below are mainly through my 18 inch f5.5. I have avoided describing views through Phil's scopes to afford him the opportunity to report his own observations at a later date. Phil also added my Televue 0.8X focal reducer/flattener to his TSA120 on the 2nd and third nights to do some astrophotography while we observed with the two large reflectors, both of which have optically quite superb mirrors. I deliberately do not read the documented descriptions of new objects. I record my observations using voice recognition to text using my iPhone's "Notes" application and record my visual impression and attempt to identify the object from unbiased visual observation only. The best way, IMO to avoid "averted imagivision."

After setting up the scopes, I collimated my 18 inch with my 2” Howie Glatter and matching Tublug. Phil collimated the 10” f5 with his 1.25” Kendrick laser collimator. We also collimated my 6” using the laser. Both scopes only have 1.25" focusers. Something went wrong and early evening I could see from a star test that the collimation of my 6" was way off. I suspect that the spring loaded brass pull tubes in my focuser may not have held the laser straight. The laser collimated Phil's 10" fine. With three other scopes set up, I didn’t worry about it, as the light required to visually collimate would have caused an observing hiatus. At f7, I have always found it very easy to do a straight daytime visual collimation. I forgot to do that on Saturday but I did it on Sunday evening during twilight.

We started off each night (predictably) with a quick tour of deep sky gems:-

Orion Nebula (faint rust colour observed in parts of the nebula)
Crab nebula – fibrous texture observed on surface.
M78
Horsehead nebula faint outline just visible in 18”
Tarantula Nebula took a 3D spacewalk using my remarkable 14mm Denkmeier
NGC4755 (Jewel Box)
NGC 3532
NGC 3372 (Eta Carina)
M65, M66, NGC 3628 (Leo Triplet)
M104 (Sombrero)
NGC3242 (Ghost of Jupiter)
NGC 2392 (Eskimo Nebula)
NGC 5236 / M83
M100 bright spiral galaxy in Virgo Cluster
Markarian’s Chain
Omega Centauri / NGC 5139 (bright globular cluster 10M stars)
NGC 104 / 47 Tucanae (bright globular cluster 10M stars)
NGC 5128 / Centaurus A (bright galaxy with prominent dark lane through core)

Then we went prospecting for “gold,” concentrating on a swathe of objects in the constellation of Dorado, many of them, galaxies in the Dorado Group.
NGC 1672 : moderately large, barred open spiral, bright star in core.

NGC 1566 large diffuse face on spiral w diffuse core

NGC 1553, bright condensed face on spiral, I could see two other companion galaxies in the 0.9 deg field of the Nagler 31 on the 18”. One similar in appearance (NGC1549), the other, a much fainter surface brightness, edge on spiral or possibly an irregular galaxy.

NGC 1515. Low surface brightness edge on spiral.

NGC 1533. Observationally, I identified it as a faint face on spiral, possibly barred. In preparing this report, Starry Night ID’s it as an elliptical. Wikipedia describes it as
“NGC 1533 is a barred lenticular galaxy with faint spiral structure in the constellation Dorado. The seventh-brightest member of the Dorado Group and 1°[3] off the group's center,[2] it is surrounded by a vast arc or ring of H I which is connected to IC 2038 and IC 2039.[2]”

NGC 1947. Mv 11.65 Appeared to me to be a faint face on spiral not much structure visible. (Actually, listed as a faint elliptical)

NGC 2100 small, low condensation, globular in the Large Magellanic Cloud just beneath the Tarantula Nebula.

ESO 56-73, faint but nicely condensed glob.

NGC1850, 1855, 1856, and 1858 group of four clusters in 0.9 deg field. 1850 and 1858 are open clusters, split in the middle by a globular cluster NGC 1855. 1856 off to the side is another open cluster. All 4 fit easily in the 0.9 degree field.

Comet Kushida 144P: I observed this comet on February 4 with my 6" f7. Fascinating, the visual appearance seemed nearly identical to February through my 18" f5.5. Very nice view albeit slightly fainter through Phil’s 10”. The comet has faded by exactly the same amount as the difference in light gathering between the two instruments.

This is a composite and incomplete summary of three great nights observing. I only recorded the observation of new objects in Dorado and not the visits to many old friends.

We were both feeling quite tired each night, Phil from a long week at work and me from a couple of nights of poor sleep. Knowing we had 3 clear nights, we didn’t overdo it and each night we wound up by around 1:00am-2:00am and spent the last little while sitting in comfortable camp chairs just watching naked eye or using binoculars. There were numerous meteors, many leaving vapour trails. I see a lot of vapour trail meteors out here. think perhaps that vapour trails are common but you need the dark transparent skies and dark adapted eyes to see the trails and you have to be looking up not into a telescope or at a camera display or monitor to see them.

On Sunday afternoon, I washed the 18 inch mirror, in situ without removing it from the scope as described in my DIY section post:
https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p267560

On Friday night, the poor transparency absorbed much of the light from the Orion Arm Milky Way. On Saturday night, transparency seemed to be very changeable on very short timescales. Possibly high very thin cloud. There were also many particulates floating through the air. Large areas not associated with the bright band of the Milky Way would suddenly go from bland and empty to being alive with a sea of faint stars. On the third night, the sky was so transparent that we both noticed that the backyard was much less dark than the first two nights, illuminated by the bright glow of the Milky Way. At the end when we were just sitting in the dark, I was sure I could see with averted vision, one of the outer arms of the Large Magellanic Cloud extending the apparent size of the object to about 7 degrees. Phil disagreed with this. We recognise that though our ages are similar, our eyesight sensitivities and degradation are different. Through a telescope, Phil sometimes sees colour when I don’t, indicating his photopic (colour) vision is more sensitive to low level illumination than mine and perhaps a little sharper at resolving detail. When observing naked eye, my scotopic (low light) vision may be more sensitive perhaps because my distance vision and hence ability to focus light from long distance is better.

All in all, a very satisfying weekend of deep sky observing.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
scribbly Australia
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Long Weekend of Deep Sky Observing

Post by scribbly »

Joe,
a superb description of what was a very nice weekend; such a long time since I have had the chance to get more than one night consecutive observing, and the first time out since December due to incessant cloud where I live (near Canberra).

Yes, I am very fortunate to apparently have reasonably sensitive eyes for colour; seeing M42 with a vivid green core surrounded by a see of pale red is very special.

Thank you so much for your company and sharing such dark skies (well maybe not so dark when the MW almost casts a shadow).
Telescopes: Takahashi TSA120; Genstar 10" (Barry Arnold optics), Skywatcher ST80 (guide)
Eyepieces: Televue Nagler 7/11/22mm, Takahashi LE50mm, Denkmieir 14mm, Andrews (Moonfish) 30mm
Cameras: Canon EOS RP, Player One Neptune-C II Planetary (IMX464), QHY Polemaster
Lenses: Canon 300mm F4 L, Tamron 24-70mm G2 F2.8, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Rokinon 8mm
Mounts: Losmandy G11G, Skywatcher Star Adventurer I PRO
Binoculars: Bushnell Forge ED 10x42
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

An outstanding observing report Joe (and Phil). You guys observed a veritable who's who of southern objects. Many of which I have fond memories of from my past travels near the equator. I look forward to Phil's report as well. I vote this one a VROD, as I am sure his report will also be worthy. Well done gents!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Great report!
I vote for a VROD too.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congratulations on a superb report Joe. You definitely took us all along on your cosmic journey and as a result win the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Michael, @helicon

Thank you very much for the VROD and to those who proposed it. Phil @scribbly @John Baars and Alan @kt4hx

Kind Regards
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

congrat on the well deserve vrod .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Great haul of familiar and exotic (to us) targets. Congrats on the well deserved VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257