Messier Marathon attempt ended up in London-like Fog

Discussion area ONLY for Electronically assisted imaging.
EmeraldHillsSkies United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS EAA Messier awards

Messier Marathon attempt ended up in London-like Fog

Post by EmeraldHillsSkies »

Hello, fellow SkySearchers. Thanks for the help you all gave in trying to prepare for our recent attempt at a Messier Marathon. (Several of you helped figure out which targets we could capture in the same field of view.) I guess we were 60 objects in (toward the entire 110) when a London-like fog descended on our observing location (from the outskirts of Louisville, Kentucky USA). The good news is - it provided us with a good learning opportunity to develop some muscle memory (we trust) for next time. We're watching every night sky, waiting (and hoping) for the next clear-sky opportunity. But for whatever it's worth, here's a four-hour livestream from last Saturday night's attempt (March 2nd, 2024).

Here's just one screenshot from the 60 objects we were able to capture pre-fog. This is the Leo Triplet, after just 3 minutes of integration, M65 (right top), M66 (right bottom), and (a non-Messier object) NGC 3628 (left):

We tried to average 3 minutes per object -- but I confess, I have a little more work to do to learn to keep up that pace. I get carried away sometimes admiring the beauty of all these objects. This was my fourth year in a row to attempt a Messier Marathon. (Fortunately, the weather was better in each of the last three years. I shouldn't complain about the weather this year. We've had great weather each of the past 3 years and were able to catch all 110 objects in 2021 (observing with a group) and catching 109 of the 110 in 2022 (again, with a group). Last year, a friend and I again caught 109 objects (again, missing only M30). My observatory location is great for so many reasons -- but observing M30 in a marathon is not one of them. There's a building *exactly* in the way. I knew it when we chose the location - so I've no one to blame but myself. But it was still the best overall location for everything but M30 in a Messier Marathon. haha true.)

Here's a 4-hour live stream of the entire session on YouTube, in case you might want to scrub through a portion just for fun. The best part is - the price of admission is free -- and you get to see exactly what I was seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/live/TkltKSrO6m ... UxUHT6Ui3-

Live to fight another day. : )

Special thanks to Pete ( @Xio1996 ) for inviting me to this forum, for his assistance with Astroplanner scripts, and for his great encouragement and friendship in continuing in this cool hobby.

Doug
EAA Observing from the outskirts of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Telescope: Celestron RASA 11 - Camera: ZWO ASI2600MC Pro
Software: AstroPlanner (with occasional help from SkyTools 4 Pro), Stellarium, SharpCap and Nina (the latter purely for autofocusing).
YouTube 'EmeraldHillsSkies' https://www.youtube.com/@EmeraldHillsSkies
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Messier Marathon attempt ended up in London-like Fog

Post by Bigzmey »

I am glad that someone somewhere is still attempting Messier marathons. Our winters became too wet and I gave up on the idea a few years ago.

Well done Doug!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Looks like you had a great session Doug. Your live view videos are fascinating to watch.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great work Doug. Attempting a marathon is truly a holy Grail moment for amateurs.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
EmeraldHillsSkies United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by EmeraldHillsSkies »

You guys are very kind to give encouragement to a fellow-struggler. : )
EAA Observing from the outskirts of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Telescope: Celestron RASA 11 - Camera: ZWO ASI2600MC Pro
Software: AstroPlanner (with occasional help from SkyTools 4 Pro), Stellarium, SharpCap and Nina (the latter purely for autofocusing).
YouTube 'EmeraldHillsSkies' https://www.youtube.com/@EmeraldHillsSkies