A little help with M45

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Chiefsmith Netherlands
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

A little help with M45

Post by Chiefsmith »

After a lot of problems with finding M45 and then having my mount stay in sync for more than 8 or so shots, and really cloudy skies most of the time, I finally had three nights of perfect skies and everything worked!!!! I am still learning about the post-processing. Many of my early problems have been solved but I do not know where to even begin to clean up this image.
M45_a6600_square_crop.jpg
M45 crop.jpg

The image on the right is an enlargement of the circled area. You can see the junk. How do you clean up, or smooth out, all of the fragments?
I have the following software available: PS CS6 with Astronomy Tools v1.6.2, Affinity, GIMP, and Capture One 22.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A little help with M45

Post by Jockinireland »

this looks to me like standard noise. Since you have astronomy Tools in your PS try using the deep space noise reduction.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: A little help with M45

Post by gcisko »

Jockinireland wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:56 am this looks to me like standard noise. Since you have astronomy Tools in your PS try using the deep space noise reduction.
Also try the photoshop Noise -> de-speckle option and even Gaussian blur. Despeckling does a bit of Gaussian blur. And yes Astronomy Tools Action Set for photoshop will do the same with Deep Space Noise Reduction and even Space Noise Reduction.

Everyone interested in astroimaging and using photoshop should be looking at Astronomy Tools Action Set and Astroflat Pro.

I never use flats or darks. I should put that in my sig block :observer:
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC