TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for March 2023

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for March 2023

Post by kt4hx »

Welcome to a new month, which means it is again time for another edition of the TSS DSO Challenge. This month I have for your pursuit a trio of objects in the northern celestial hemisphere and three for the southern celestial hemisphere. Depending upon where one lives relative to the terrestrial equator of course, some may be able to observe some or all of those from the opposite hemisphere.

For our northern members, I will be highlighting a trio of star clusters, with open clusters in Cancer and Canis Minor, plus a very distant globular cluster in Lynx. Our southern friends will have a similar recipe for this month, with an open cluster in both Carina and Puppis, plus a globular in Puppis. I hope you enjoy adding these objects to your observing and/or imaging plans. We all look forward to hearing (or seeing) your results as you spend some time communing with the night sky in pursuit of these interesting and worthy targets. Have fun my friends and enjoy your time spent under the stars.

(Northern Celestial Hemisphere)

Messier 67 / NGC 2682 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=6.1, size=25.0’x25.0’):
This is an amazingly beautiful open cluster. While it tends to be overshadowed by Messier 44 to its north, this cluster truly holds its own. More compact than M44, it is much more suited to telescopic observation. Containing a vast number of stars, it is a dizzying array of lines and curves of stellar points, with countless double stars within its field. There are even some lanes of lower star density that may stand out to your eye, depending upon your aperture and optical acuity.

This beauty was first discovered by German observer Johann Gottfried Koehler at some point before 1779. Charles Messier independently discovered it on April 6, 1780. William Hershel observed it using his 18.7 inch reflector in 1784, and he described it as "a most beautiful cluster of stars; not less than 200 in view." Spend some time on this object and immerse yourself in its beauty.

NGC 2394 (Canis Minor, open cluster, mag=8.7, size=8.0’):
We now move from the stunning beauty of M67 to the rather obscurity of this William Herschel discovery, from 1785. He described it as "a cluster of very coarse scattered large stars, they form a cross and extend over a large space; not rich." In modern references, it is most often designated as an asterism. While not a standout object, I find it a curious one. With eight stars ranging from 9th to 11th magnitude, to my eye it looks like an “S” shape, with dimmer stars scattered haphazardly around the field. Give this one a try and see what you can come up.

NGC 2419 (Lynx, globular cluster, mag=10.3, size=4.6’, SBr=13.4, class=2):
We now come to what was nicknamed the “Intergalactic Wanderer” because it was once thought to be a free floating globular outside of our gravitational influence. Though that thinking was eventually disproven and was determined to be a Milky Way globular cluster, just at a great distance. William Herschel also discovered this object, on the last day of the year in 1788. Observed with his 18.7 inch telescope he noted it as a "considerably bright, round, very gradually much brighter middle, about 3' diameter."

Despite Sir William calling it “bright”, most will find it is anything but. Small and compressed, its center may show some brightness surrounded by a very small dimmer outer halo. But overall it will most likely appear dim and fuzzy, unless you have larger aperture, which may reveal some graininess. It lay in line with two 7th magnitude field stars, forming an east-west line with them. The cluster is the eastern most of the three, and should have a slightly fuzzy appearance as compared to the stars to its west.

Southern Celestial Hemisphere

NGC 2516 (Carina, Open Cluster, mag=3.8, size=29.0’):
The huge constellation of Argo Navis, depicting the famed ship piloted by Jason and his Argonauts, was eventually dived into three sections. Carina represents the keel of that ship. It is a treasure trove of celestial objects, in particular open clusters. This beautiful group of stars was discovered by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille during his survey of stars in 1751-52 during his expedition to the Cape of Good Hope.

Also known as the Southern Beehive Cluster, this object is large and bright. Not overly difficult with the naked eye, it most certainly can be seen with binoculars. However, its true richness comes alive through a telescope. Its stars are scattered across the large field, with numerous doubles, arc and lines being seen. Located just over 3° southwest of bright mag 1.8 Epsilon Carinae (Avior), it is truly a fine cluster to behold.

NGC 2477 (Puppis, open cluster, mag=5.8, size=27.0’):
This fine cluster is located in another fragment of the original Argo Navis constellation, Puppis, which represents the poop deck of a ship. Located a little over 2.5° northwest of mag 2.1 Zeta Puppis (Naos), it lay only about 20’ north of the mag 4.5 variable QZ Puppis. A visually beautiful cluster, it is very rich in mag 11 to 13 stars, with easily over 200 within its field, with a persistent background haziness of unresolved suns.

This cluster is another discovery credited to Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille during his time at the Cape of Good Hope. It was also observed multiple times by James Dunlop (Paramatta, Australia) in the mid-1820s, as well as by John Herschel (Cape of Good Hope) in the mid-1830s. Herschel’s second observation of the cluster resulted in this notation in his journal: "a very beautiful large cluster, very rich; stars nearly equal and 12th mag, gradually brighter in the middle, not much compressed in the middle; more than fills the field. (N.B. It is visible in the finder of the equatorial, and in the telescope of that instrument appears as a fine cluster."

NGC 2298 (Puppis, globular cluster, mag=9.3, size=5.0’, class=6):
Remaining on the “poop deck”, we now pursue this globular cluster as our final object this month. Located in the northwest corner of Puppis, it is located about 3.5° south of mag 4.0 Kappa Canis Majoris. This object was discovered by James Dunlop in 1826, he noted it as "a pretty bright round nebula, 3' or 4' diameter, moderately condensed to the centre. This is resolvable into stars."

Small and somewhat dim, this globular may appear as a diffuse little globe, clearly non-stellar to the eye. As aperture increases one may begin to pick up hints of a brighter, more condensed core and even some granular texture, particularly from darker areas. While certainly not a showpiece cluster visually it is still not an overly difficult object, and certainly makes a fine target for the imager. Though lower in the sky, it can be seen from the southern portions of the northern mid-latitude spatial region.

I hope that you enjoy adding these objects to your observing/imaging plans. While I do highlight some well know objects for your pursuit, I also like to add in some lesser known, off the beaten track DSOs. So good luck with your endeavors, and as always, let us know how you fare with this month’s targets. We are all here to learn, share and grow as astronomy hobbyists. Our shared interest in the night sky and its wonders are the glue that holds our community and family together here at TSS!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for March 2023

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice selection of targets Alan. Can I get some clear skies with it? :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Thanks Alan!

Some great choices here. I have already seen the three southern targets. I have also seen and logged NGC 2394, I agree with the "S" shape.
All great choices for March, thanks again.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:01 pm Nice selection of targets Alan. Can I get some clear skies with it? :)

Thank you Andrey. Wish I could help, but my magic wand doesn't reach that far! :icon-smile:

KingClinton wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm Thanks Alan!

Some great choices here. I have already seen the three southern targets. I have also seen and logged NGC 2394, I agree with the "S" shape.
All great choices for March, thanks again.

Thank you Clinton. I am not surprised you've seen the southern objects. :icon-smile: I have as well and the two open clusters are very nice visual objects indeed. While NGC 2394 is not a rich object, it is still obvious. Though the Revised NGC lists it as non-existent, that is based on the study of sky survey images. The visual presentation through the eyepiece and what is seen in an image is quite different.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice selection and contains a couple of globulars I have not seen, and by now I have seen the majority of this class of objects visible from the Northern hemisphere. Thanks Alan. And by all means wave a wand if you are able.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Clear sky please!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:10 pm Nice selection and contains a couple of globulars I have not seen, and by now I have seen the majority of this class of objects visible from the Northern hemisphere. Thanks Alan. And by all means wave a wand if you are able.

Thank you Michael. NGC 2419 is a nice challenge. Of course from your latitude, NGC 2298 will be a supreme challenge since it would be less than 5° above your southern horizon at culmination.

Unfortunately my wand is broken, so I am unable to help. But, I do wish you clear skies sometime soon. :icon-smile:

Gordon wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:14 pm Clear sky please!!!

Wish I could help all those that need some clear skies! I haven't had much luck helping myself lately! :icon-smile:
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

A nice trio of clusters for us there Alan. Your S fits in my FOV nicely, according to Stellarium NGC2394 is a "custom object". NGC2419 is a fine dot of a cluster.

I look forward to having a go at them.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:26 am A nice trio of clusters for us there Alan. Your S fits in my FOV nicely, according to Stellarium NGC2394 is a "custom object". NGC2419 is a fine dot of a cluster.

I look forward to having a go at them.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme. I look forward to your results!
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice challenges. I logged M67 ( and some others) in the observing report subforum.
Thanks!

viewtopic.php?t=33744
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:08 pm Nice challenges. I logged M67 ( and some others) in the observing report subforum.
Thanks!

viewtopic.php?t=33744

Thank you John! Appreciate the link so others can navigate to your fine report and sketches.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Here's M67 from last night. The forecast was clear all night and I was hopeful I would get to capture all three March Challenge targets. So I went for NGC 2394 as it's furthest West of the three. Then I made a start on M67 and the clouds rolled in followed by mist. With only 15 minutes of data it's a bit noisy but it does show some of the lines of stars and doubles that Alan describes in the OP.

M67.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:52 pm Here's M67 from last night. The forecast was clear all night and I was hopeful I would get to capture all three March Challenge targets. So I went for NGC 2394 as it's furthest West of the three. Then I made a start on M67 and the clouds rolled in followed by mist. With only 15 minutes of data it's a bit noisy but it does show some of the lines of stars and doubles that Alan describes in the OP.

M67.jpg

Thank you Graeme. Even with your limited amount of data, you still captured the essence of M67 amazingly well! Though this cluster is part of Messier's list, it typically takes a back seat to M44, which I honestly never understood. Granted, its not quite as bright, nor as large, but it is an excellent cluster in its own right. Because it isn't as huge as M44, it is an object that can be observed with all sizes of instruments and magnifications, and is an excellent imaging target.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:37 am Though this cluster is part of Messier's list, it typically takes a back seat to M44, which I honestly never understood.

Same as that. M44 is too large for my FOV and so doesn't look like a cluster in my eyepiece. M67 frames nicely and is a thing of beauty.

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:06 pm NGC 2394 (Canis Minor, open cluster, mag=8.7, size=8.0’):
We now move from the stunning beauty of M67 to the rather obscurity of this William Herschel discovery, from 1785. He described it as "a cluster of very coarse scattered large stars, they form a cross and extend over a large space; not rich." In modern references, it is most often designated as an asterism. While not a standout object, I find it a curious one. With eight stars ranging from 9th to 11th magnitude, to my eye it looks like an “S” shape, with dimmer stars scattered haphazardly around the field. Give this one a try and see what you can come up.

Again, a bit short of data but a nice asterism stands out. I see a Greek cursive style Chi sitting above ɳ CMi.

North is to the left but I thought I was working with a 0° rotation, which is probably the reason my guiding was so poor!

As said, the cloud and mist brought an end to proceedings before I could catch any NGC 2419 photons. If the cloud gods allow a clear slot some time I'll have a go.

NGC 2394.jpg

A fun challenge Alan, thanks.

Graeme

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:37 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:06 pm NGC 2394 (Canis Minor, open cluster, mag=8.7, size=8.0’):

Again, a bit short of data but a nice asterism stands out. I see a Greek cursive style Chi sitting above ɳ CMi.

North is to the left but I thought I was working with a 0° rotation, which is probably the reason my guiding was so poor!

As said, the cloud and mist brought an end to proceedings before I could catch any NGC 2419 photons. If the cloud gods allow a clear slot some time I'll have a go.

NGC 2394.jpg

A fun challenge Alan, thanks.

Graeme

Again, thank you Graeme. And, again as with M67, you rendered this stellar group very nicely despite your shortage of data. Actually north is to the right, and I have attached a rotated and annotated copy of your image. Looking at the cluster field northeast of Eta CMi, one can easily see the "S" shape formed by the stars in this object. Another well done image of a "Challenge" object Graeme. I truly appreciate your support of this series.
NGC 2394_rotated.jpg
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:24 pm Again, thank you Graeme. And, again as with M67, you rendered this stellar group very nicely despite your shortage of data. Actually north is to the right,

Yes, I meant right! 😀

Here's my cursive Chi:

Screenshot 2024-03-08 181641.png

The sky is actually clear at the moment, not sure how long it will last. I would like to catch the Intergalactic Wanderer with some quality data, as far as globular clusters go it's a bit different. We'll see!

Graeme

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:25 pm
kt4hx wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:24 pm Again, thank you Graeme. And, again as with M67, you rendered this stellar group very nicely despite your shortage of data. Actually north is to the right,

Yes, I meant right! 😀

Here's my cursive Chi:

Screenshot 2024-03-08 181641.png

The sky is actually clear at the moment, not sure how long it will last. I would like to catch the Intergalactic Wanderer with some quality data, as far as globular clusters go it's a bit different. We'll see!

Graeme

I figured you meant right! :icon-smile: When I let my eye wander outside of the field of the cluster I could discern your Chi as well. Goes to show, different eyes can sometimes see different things.

Good luck with NGC 2419. It is indeed a curious object and I like the contrast of if lying in a conga line with the two 7th mag field stars immediately to its west.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The weather forecast showed clear for tonight so I put a NINA Sequence together for Caldwell 25, my last outstanding Northern target for March. I'm quite keen to capture this lesser known small Globular Cluster. Then as darkness fell, the clouds came over. Either they got that completely wrong or I looked at the wrong day! It now says clear for tomorrow night. Can't do tomorrow though, I'm going to a Mid Kent Astronomical Society talk on Spectroscopy.

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Attempt no. 2 at C25 tonight. The sky is gin clear, it's a pleasure to see! The jet stream is close though.

Here's the first luminance light frame:

Screenshot 2024-03-24 203940.png