Celestron Origin "Intelligent home observatory"- is it just me?

Discussion area ONLY for Electronically assisted imaging.
bwana4swahili Canada
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Celestron Origin "Intelligent home observatory"- is it just me?

Post by bwana4swahili »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:06 pm...
What about people who like to explore? Can they be aimed by coordinates? If I wanted to take shots of patches of sky to detect the movements of asteroids is possible? Could I hunt for unnamed double stars? I understand that there will be a slight lag that doesn't occur in visual or when tethered to a computer. I wouldn't want to spend too much for a system that doesn't have those capabilities...
I use Celestron's SkyPortal software with an Evolution mount (essentially the mount being used for the Origin platform). It pretty much covers all of your concerns, i.e.:
- you can GoTo any Ra/Dec location if the location isn't in the software's database.
- with the StarSense Autoguider (an add-on) you can aim the scope at any region of the sky and guide on a star/comet/asteroid in that region
- you can hold the smart phone/tablet up to the sky and identify any of the targets within your view then click on them to point the scope at them
- you can set up the unit in the cold of winter and run it by WiFi from inside the house

One of the main disadvantages of a smart telescope is that you're locked into the focal length, focal ratio and sensor being used by any particular product, i.e: 330mm f/2/2 and a field of view of 76.3x51.3 arcmin for the Origin, 250mm f/5 and 153.6x86.8 arcmin for the Vespera II, etc.

bwa
From stardust I was born, to stardust I shall return...

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us!"

I welcome any and all input.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Agree 100% I don’t have any tracking gear or anything like that, I just scan with my eyes and then point to whatever object interests me and I use a sky chart that’s it !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm wary of Celestron QC based on my experience and others. They're not the company that made my classic C8 40 years ago, but life goes on.

Aside from that, I'm not opposed to robotic scopes and see them as an adjunct to manual / visual observing. I'm not quite to the point of going all EAA yet, but that day might come.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by chris_g »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:58 am I'm not quite to the point of going all EAA yet, but that day might come.
I'm not either, but it will it will come for me eventually. And I'm one of those that started integrating the tech in my hobbies back in the 80s

If it's fun and gets you back out under the stars, is it really important how?

Thank you for the reminder.

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro