Juno16 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Image: Abell 21, The Medusa Nebula

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

From Wikipedia:
The Medusa Nebula is a planetary nebula in the constellation of Gemini. It is also known as Abell 21 and Sharpless 2-274.
It was originally discovered in 1955 by University of California, Los Angeles astronomer George O. Abell, who classified it as an old planetary nebula.
Until the early 1970s, the nebula was thought to be a supernova remnant. With the computation of expansion velocities and the thermal character of the radio emission, Soviet astronomers in 1971 concluded that it was most likely a planetary nebula.
As the nebula is so large, its surface brightness is very low, with surface magnitudes of between +15.99 and +25 reported.
The central star of the planetary nebula is an PG 1159 star.

Don’t find many deep-space targets that were discovered my birth year!I
I spent a few hours imaging this target a few weeks or so while testing some modifications to my HEQ5 mount (DEC axis tune-up).
I had never seen or heard of this target before, but I needed a target in this part of the sky for testing.
After a week of poor weather, I tried processing the 2:56 that I had and didn’t expect too much since the nebula is extremely dim and my skies are quite messy (especially near the Celestial Equator).
I liked what I saw and anxiously waited for another opportunity to catch more data.

I finally got a break and collected another three hours (goes into the trees just after the meridian).
Nowhere near enough data for this cool-looking dim target, but no clear nights ahead before the moon creeps back in, so I settled for 6.9 hours of total integration.
Looking at the image after 2:56 vs. 6:56 integration, I saw a nice improvement in the definition of the serpentine filaments of glowing gas in the nebula “snakes”. Also, the wispy Ha below the
“snakes” is somewhat more visible.

Imaging information is on the Astrobin link, but basically:
Explore Scientific ED102/0.8FR/FF/ASI533MC/ HEQ5.
104 lights at 240 seconds with the Optolong L-Enhance filter 6.9 hours total).
Captured with N.I.N.A. and processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop CC.

My second planetary nebula!

Thanks you for looking and comments very welcome!

Jim

Last edited by Juno16 on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Image: Abell 21, The Medusa Nebula

Post by Bigzmey »

Beautiful capture Jim! Love the colors, details and how sharp are your stars. Well done!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261
JSBach1801 United States of America

Post by JSBach1801 »

Well shot and processed, Jim.
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very pretty, never seen that before, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Awesome image Jim!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:40 pm Beautiful capture Jim! Love the colors, details and how sharp are your stars. Well done!

Thanks a bunch my buddy!

JSBach1801 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:31 pm Well shot and processed, Jim.

Thank you Lyle!

messier 111 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:40 am very pretty, never seen that before, thx.

Much appreciated Jean-Yves!
I hadn’t heard of the Medusa either.
Looks nice, but I don’t think that it gets imaged much.

Ylem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:27 am Awesome image Jim!

Thank you for your always kind words Jeff!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Wonderful image! Very well done, Jim! I captured this nebula some time ago, with an old Atik314, but I want to try it again, at higher resolution (long list, short time).
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF
Graeme1858 Online Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Excellent detail Jim.

As you say, we could wait for ages for another clear night! Glad you got another 3 hours.

This would be a good seven hours, SE to SW target for my location, I might give it a go and see how the Medway Towns light pollution and a neighbour's garden light that the cats and foxes set off affect my subs.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

MariusD69 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:43 am Wonderful image! Very well done, Jim! I captured this nebula some time ago, with an old Atik314, but I want to try it again, at higher resolution (long list, short time).

I certainly understand the list/time thing Marius!

This is not a commonly imaged target and is really dim, but I was happy with what I got for such a small integration time (needs much more).

I hope that you get the opportunity to catch some data on it. Is your old data able to be combined with new data, or would you rather collect new data only? Did you post your image here?

Thank you for your nice comments Marius!
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:05 am Excellent detail Jim.

As you say, we could wait for ages for another clear night! Glad you got another 3 hours.

This would be a good seven hours, SE to SW target for my location, I might give it a go and see how the Medway Towns light pollution and a neighbour's garden light that the cats and foxes set off affect my subs.

Graeme

I would like to see how someone else could do with this target and I hope that you get the opportunity to image it.
I saw on your sequence that it only rises to 52 degrees at your location. I was a bit luckier at 73 degrees, but I didn't get to take full advantage since it goes into the trees just after the meridian. The difference in brightness of the nebula in stretched lights from early in the evening to the meridian is significant.
I also see from your sequence that you have the wonderful advantage of shooting in mono. Really looking forward to your work!

Thank you Graeme!
Jim

bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

You have done a really nice job with a tough small target, Jim. When I imaged this a couple of years back (or maybe it was last year) I didn't realize it's discovery shared our birth year.
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:03 pm You have done a really nice job with a tough small target, Jim. When I imaged this a couple of years back (or maybe it was last year) I didn't realize it's discovery shared our birth year.

I read that and thought it was so cool.
Most astronomical discoveries were WAY before our time.
I’d never heard of the Medusa Nebula before, but found it on Skysafari and needed a target for testing for a few hours.
It looked interesting in the subs, so I caught more time a week or so later. Hopefully I can catch more time on it next year.

Thanks Bob!
Jim

StarHugger Online United States of America

Post by StarHugger »

Turned out nice Jim, almost looks tunnel like...
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
Mac United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Great capture Jim. I might give it a try tonight, in between the clouds.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:24 pm Great capture Jim. I might give it a try tonight, in between the clouds.

I hope that you do get a chance to image the Medusa.
I would love to set up, but 90% chance of rain here.

The Medusa is really dim and needs a good bit of exposure time.

The L-Enhance did a fine job.

I believe that I have it upside down since the dim tendrils (at the bottom of my image) are supposed to be Medusa’s “snakes”.
Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you can do with it.

Thanks for your nice comments buddy.
Jim

Mac United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:02 pm
I believe that I have it upside down since the dim tendrils (at the bottom of my image) are supposed to be Medusa’s “snakes”.

There is no upside down in space.

Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:12 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:02 pm

There is no upside down in space.

You are correct there!
Jim

MariusD69 Romania

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MariusD69 »

Hi Jim! Sorry for delayed response. I posted the image in 2020, I did't remember if it was on this site, or into the previous one (astronomyforum). Now I want to capture new data. The old one has low quality (low resolution, small FOV, big halos around stars due to Baader OIII filter, no RGB for stars). But it has to wait. Now I'm working at Sh2-284 (I need 2 more nights for Ha and, maybe, 2-3 nights for SII). I'm waiting for clear skies.
Marius
Mount: iOpton Cem60, HEQ5-for spare
Scopes: newt SW 150/750PDS, dobson SW 150/1200; SW 114/500; TS Photoline 80mm f/6 Triplet APO; SW ST80
Cameras: ASI294MC Pro; ASI1600MM Pro; Atik 314L+mono; Canon 1100D; QHY5III-178m; QHY5L-II-m ; ASI224; Altair GPCAM 290M, GPCAM290C
Accessories: Baader MPCC; GPU KomakorrF4; TS Flat2; TS 0.79x FR/FF

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

MariusD69 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 pm Hi Jim! Sorry for delayed response. I posted the image in 2020, I did't remember if it was on this site, or into the previous one (astronomyforum). Now I want to capture new data. The old one has low quality (low resolution, small FOV, big halos around stars due to Baader OIII filter, no RGB for stars). But it has to wait. Now I'm working at Sh2-284 (I need 2 more nights for Ha and, maybe, 2-3 nights for SII). I'm waiting for clear skies.

I found your image from 2020 Marius and it is really nice!
Very similar to mine, except yours has a tighter field of view.
I hope you do get a chance to image it soon. I would love to see your results.
Best of success on SH2 – 284!
Jim

jthommes United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jthommes »

Beautiful image Jim! The color is great and the image depth is wonderful.
Jim Thommes
Jim's Astrophotography
David Levy Maksutov Newtonian, Celestron Edge 9.25, FSQ-106N Refractor (on loan), WO ZenithStar 66 APO Refractor, WO Megrez II APO, Sigma 150 mm EOS Lens
Losmandy G11/Gemini, iOptron GEM45, Celestron Advanced VX, iOptron CEM70
ST8300M Camera, Atik 383L, Canon 350D (IR cut modified), ASI1600M, ASI294M, ASI260M
Observatory - Desert Astronomy Association (Shelter Valley, CA)