Observing Report for 03 February 2024 - a little deep sky foraging

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 03 February 2024 - a little deep sky foraging

Post by kt4hx »

Hi again folks, and it’s nice to be out observing at our dark site house again, and to have you come along with me as I pursue my favorite objects – galaxies! The forecast looked pretty good for the weekend, so after we went to watch our 7 year old grandson play basketball at midday Saturday, I headed over for two nights. Not arriving until close to 1730 hours, I didn’t have a lot of prep time, so I hustled around putting stuff out and then had something to eat and rested for a little bit.

The temperature when I went out was about 37° F (3° C) and fortunately no wind. I was bundled up and headed out around 1930, after astronomical darkness had settled in for the night. I looked around the sky and it was filled with stars, always a nice thing to see. The winter Milky Way band was very noticeable, indicating transparency was pretty good.

Tonight I sort of winged a bit, with no real plan. So I touched briefly in Eridanus, moved into Orion for a little bit, then finished up in Cancer. With the Uranometria open on the table, red light at hand, let’s begin this evening’s journey. You will notice in my equipment below I added in the ES 82° 18mm eyepiece to my repertoire. This was always once of my favorites in times past, but I sold all of that series I owned to move up to some Ethos and Pentax XWs. As satisfied as I am with those eyepieces, I simply missed the ES 18mm. So I acquired a used one and it now resides in my case, not to be sold again! I’ve always found it to be an excellent eyepiece that can put up some amazing views – at least to my observing eye. Having not tested this one out after acquisition, I decided to give it a look this evening. With that little aside, let’s get cracking and find some galaxies!

(Equipment used)
17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
ES 82° 18mm (110x, 0.7° TFOV, 4.0mm exit pupil)
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
Uranometria All-Sky Edition (plus red light)

IC 2099 (Eridanus, spiral galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.0’x0.4’, SBr=13.6):
I aimed the scope using the Rigel Quikfinder at bright magnitude 2.8 Cursa (Beta Eridani) and had the atlas open to chart 117. In the corner where Eridanus abuts Orion, not quite 4 °I picked up my first object , which was found about 45’ northwest of Omega. With 152x it was easily seen as a small and dim thin oval that was smoothly illuminated. Then at 199x, it revealed an intermittent stellar core within the disk. I noted it was situated inside of a small dim triangle of three stars (one of 11th and two of 13th mag). As an aside, this object was misidentified in Uranometria as NGC 1677, which in fact is a duplicate ID for NGC 1659 a little to the west, and which I observed about two years ago. (New)

NGC 1694 (Eridanus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=14.7):
Moving east of Omega I easily spotted 62 Eri (mag 5.5) in the finder. Just over half a degree WNE of the latter star I picked up this small and dim diffuse glow using 152x. Oval in shape it was homogeneous to the eye. More apparent at 199x, it remained a dim and smooth little oval. (New)

NGC 1699 (Eridanus, spiral galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=13.0):
This previously observed galaxy was noticed in the same FOV with the previous object at 152x and a very small thick oval glow. Since I had observed it a couple of years ago, I did not pay much attention to it in the view, rather concentrating on NGC 1694, which was about 26’ to its northwest.

NGC 1700 (Eridanus, elliptical galaxy, mag=11.2, size=3.3’x2.1’, SBr=13.3):
Another previously observed object in the FOV with NGC 1694, and again observed before a couple of years ago, this elliptical was quite noticeable at 152x only about 6.5’ south of NGC 1699. It presented a subtly large oval disk with a broadly brighter core.

NGC 1753 (Orion, spiral galaxy, mag=14.5, size=1.6’x1.0’, SBr=14.7):
I now crossed over into Orion for a brief foray before moving over to Cancer. A little over 2° northwest of Cursa I picked up this spiral using 152x. It lay near close to a couple of galaxies I had picked about three years ago. However, at that time I was using the IDSA atlas and it did not plot this dimmer galaxy, which I failed to notice. So revisiting the field, I easily spotted the pair I’d observed prior (NGC 1729 & 1740). Ignoring them, I looked just to their east and picked up this small and dim little oval. It appeared evenly illuminated, and remained homogeneous at 199x, though slightly more apparent. (New)

MCG -1-13-50 (Orion, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=2.7’x0.4’, SBr=13.3):
About 27’ ENE of the previous object I picked up this one using 152x. It presented as a small and slightly dim homogenous oval disk next to s faint 13.9 mag field star at its western tip. Using 199x it was more apparent, but remained smoothly illuminated. (New)

NGC 1788 (Orion, reflection nebula, mag=9.0, size=8.0’x5.0’):
Since I had not observed this object in over eight years, and it was nearby, I stopped in for a little peek. At 152x it was an obvious object in the field. It appeared as a bright and somewhat large rounded diffuse glow. The mag 10.1 star TYC 04754-1474 1 was easily seen embedded at the center of the reflection nebula, while mag 9.8 TYC 04754-1473 1 was easily spotted at its northern edge. This is indeed one of the brightest and more obvious reflection nebulae up there, and is always fun to track down.

MCG 0-14-10 (Orion, compact galaxy, mag=13.3, size=0.7’x0.5’, SBr=12.0):
Just over a degree northeast of NGC 1788 I returned to my galaxy hunting with my next object. Spotted with 152x, it presented a dim and small diffuse thick oval disk. While a little more obvious at 199x, it remained visually a little weak. A dim 14.1 mag field star was noted just to its northwest. (New)

MCG -1-14-7 (Orion, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.5’x0.5’, SBr=12.3):
Nearly 1.5° southeast of the last object I picked up this fairly dim and small rounded glow. At 152x it was evenly illuminated across its disk, and remained thus at 199x. Visually it was a weak object, but still not difficult. (New)

UGC 3301 (Orion, barred lenticular galaxy, mag=14.2, size=1.3’x0.9’, SBr=14.3):
Nudging to the northeast, I spotted 22 Orionis (mag 4.7), then focused my attention to its northeast and just west of mag 5.7 HD 35299, also in the FOV. Using 152x I picked up this small and dim diffuse oval glow that sported an intermittent stellar core at its center. Using 199x it was more obvious to the eye and its core remained weak and sporadically visible. (New)

UGC 3283 (Orion, spiral galaxy, mag=15.1, size=1.5’x0.2’, SBr=13.6):
Backtracking to the southwest a little I picked up mag 6.2 HD 34180. Just over half a degree to its ENE, I picked up this dim little object using 152x. Visually it was nothing more than a very faint and very small little diffuse mote. Moving to 199x it was slightly more apparent, but remained a weak object and homogeneous to the eye. (New)

Dolidze-Dzimselejsvili 2 (Orion, open cluster, mag=11.0, size=10.0’):
I shifted to chart 97 in the atlas to the area northwest of brilliant Bellatrix (Gamma Ori). This cluster is found just over 5° of the star, and west of the bright mag 7.2 field star HD 35364. Easily seen at 152x, this cluster is one I’d overlooked in previous forays in this part of the great hunter’s lair. I found it a nice, loose grouping of about 12 to 15 stars pg various magnitudes, including the double star ADS 3697, a mag 9.6 and 13.7 pair of white suns. The group was fairly well detached from the general field and not difficult to discern. I also noted it was visible in the RACI finder as a fuzzy little clump. (New)

UGC 3180 (Orion, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=13.3):
Moving over to mag 4.3 Pi2 Orionis in the hunter’s shield, just south of this star I pinned down this barred spiral. With 152x it displayed a small and dim homogeneous oval envelope. Viewed at 199x it was slightly more apparent, but remained evenly illuminated. (New)

NGC 2119 (Orion, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.2’x1.0’, SBr=13.5):
Moving over to chart 96, and slipped northward from Betelgeuse, I located my next galaxy, about half a degree northeast of mag 5.9 HD 40020. Easily spotted using 152x, it revealed a small and dim rounded disk with an intermittent stellar core present. More obvious at 199x, its core was more strongly present inside of its very diffuse envelope. (New)

NGC 2169 (Orion, open cluster, mag=5.9, size=5.0’x5.0’):
Before moving out of Orion, I wanted to stop by the famous “37 cluster” for a quick look. In this case I dropped in the 18mm was bright and easily picking up the object in the 8x50 RACI optical finder, I moved to the eyepiece. With 110x, it was simply put, a stunning object. Its nickname was on full display, as it appeared as a flipped and reversed “37” in my Newtonian optical system. The sky was deeply black and the shimmering diamonds of the cluster were richly contrasted in the 18mm. It had been some time since I’d observed this group and it was very well worth the short stop to revel in its beauty.

It was now time to sit back a few moments to kind of rest in my observing chair and simply look around the sky. My next chosen area was to be Cancer, and I noticed that M44 was a bright naked eye object. After a few minutes, I returned to the sky for my final run of the evening, within the celestial crab. First I would visit an old friend.

Messier 67 / NGC 2682 (Cancer, open cluster, mag=6.1, size=25.0’x25.0’):
I moved to Cancer at this point as it was starting to rise up a little higher. Using chart 94 as my guide, I aimed the scope at Alpha Cancri (Acubens). Not quite 2° to the star’s west and easily seen in the RACI finder, I made this beautiful cluster my first stop as it had been a while since I’d lasted visited. Using 152x it was well framed and unbelievably stunning and luxurious. It presented a large and busy field, with numerous lines and arcs of stars, many doubles and some lanes of lower stellar concentration. I have always much preferred this cluster over nearby M44 as I find it much more beautifully structured and presentable through the eyepiece.

NGC 2596 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.1’x0.4’, SBr=12.3):
Sweeping to the northwest, I located 25 Cancri (mag 6.5), and found this spiral. Spotted about 27’ to the star’s northeast, it displayed a small and dim homogeneous oval disk at 152x. Taking a look at 199x, it was a little more obvious to the eye, but remained a smooth oval envelope. (New)

NGC 2593 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.9’x0.5’, SBr=12.9):
In the same field of view with the previous object and about 11’ to its northwest, I also picked up this galaxy using 152x. It was small and clearly the dimmer of the pair. Its disk was smoothly illuminated. It was more obvious using 199x, but remained small and homogeneous. (New)

UGC 4433 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.0’.0.7’, SBr=12.9):
About 19’ northeast of NGC 2596 and in the same field of view I also discerned this spiral. With 152x it revealed a small and dim homogeneous oval disk. This appearance continued using 199x though it was a little more obvious to the eye. (New)

NGC 2730 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.7’x1.3’, SBr=13.7):
Next I slid eastward to the area northeast of the wide pair of brighter stars mag 5.1 Omicron1 and mag 5.7 Omicron2 Cnc. I nailed down this barred spiral about 16.5’ southeast of 68 Cnc (mag 7.4). Easily spotted using 152x, it presented a small and slightly dim diffuse oval disk. It appeared a little more obvious at 199x, but remained evenly lit across its envelope. I did not however, discern the mag 15.5 elliptical NGC 2734 just to the northeast. (New)

NGC 2711 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
To the WNW of 68 Cnc, I picked up the mag 6.2 star HD 76508. Focusing my attention to its NNE, I picked up this object using 152x. Visually it was fairly dim, a small thick oval disk. I also noticed an intermittent stellar core poking through from time to time. More apparent at 199x, it remained a weak object overall. (New)

NGC 2720 (Cancer, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.8, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
Moving back south to Acubens, I next eased to its southeast. I encountered this lenticular that I had observed nearly seven years ago from home using the AD12 (we were Bortle 5 quality then). This evening it was a small and just slightly dim rounded diffuse disk at 152x.

NGC 2725 (Cancer, spiral (peculiar) galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=12.3):
I also spotted this spiral that was also observed at the same time as NGC 2730 nearly seven years ago. This time around it displayed a fairly dim out of round disk that was homogeneous at 152x.

NGC 2728 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.4):
This spiral was the reason for returning to this field as I had missed it seven years ago when observing the previous two objects. So, this time around, using 152x I picked it up as a fairly dim oval disk that was small and evenly illuminated. I noticed it lay within a triangle of three stars (two of 9th and one of 12th mag). Viewing with 199x it was a little more apparent, but remained a dim homogenous oval. (New)

NGC 2731 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.5):
Moving south using the RACI finder I located mag 6.2 HD 76629, then not quite 2.5° to the southeast, mag 5.8 HD 77445. I then positioned the scope about 2/3 of the way from the first star to the second and a slightly east of that line. I quickly located this spiral using 152x. It was a small and slightly dim thick oval disk that was smooth and even. Its disk was oriented northeast to southwest and a dim 14th mag field star lay off its northeastern tip. It was obvious at 199x, but remained homogeneous to the eye. (New)

NGC 2522 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.0’x0.3’, SBr=12.4):
Now I shifted to the northwest a ways, close to the Cancer-Canis Minor border. I centered the finder about halfway between mag 4.7 Zeta1 Cnc (Tegmen) and 3 Cnc (mag 5.6). Just north of the line between the two stars I picked up this spiral using 152x. It presented a fairly small and thin diffuse disk that exhibited a very weak stellar core. Even at 199x it remained a dim object, though not particularly difficult. (New)

NGC 2530 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.4’x1.0’, SBr=13.8):
About 25’ ENE of the previous object I found my next target using 152x. Small and a dim, it exhibited a thick oval disk that was homogeneous. Oriented north-south, I noticed a dim 14th mag field star just off its northern tip. Dropping in the 10mm (199x), the galaxy was more apparent, but its general appearance remained the same. (New)

NGC 2514 (Cancer, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.3’x1.2’, SBr=13.8):
Dropping south a bit, I located this barred spiral just over 43’ southeast of the star 5 Cnc (mag 6.0). Viewed with 152x I saw a small and slightly dim rounded diffuse disk. Using 199x it was more obvious and remained homogeneous in appearance. (New)

NGC 2507 (Cancer, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=2.5’x1.8’, SBr=13.7):
Almost 18.5 WSW of NGC 2514 I picked up this spiral. At 152x it was in the same field of view as the previous object, and appeared slightly small and somewhat bright to the eye. The oval disk was very diffuse and evenly illuminated. Using 199x it was very obvious within the field and remained smooth across its envelope. (New)

I had been at it in the chilly air for over three hours, and frankly I was simply tired. The muscles around my observing eye were starting to spasm slightly from the continual concentration through the eyepiece. Also, my back was sending me signals as well. So, I figured it was a good time to call it a night. The temperature was about 28° F (-2° C), and while there was no wind, the air was definitely chilly (to me at least) and a light touch of frost was forming on the surfaces of my gear.

All it in the evening was a pretty good well and more like what I am used to at this location. There was no high elevation smoke to deal with, as we’d had last year. So the sky was profusely populated with stars. The winter Milky Way was very evident flowing from Perseus through Auriga, parts of Taurus, Orion, Gemini, Canis Major and into Puppis. It is always a pleasure to see this less intense band of stars making a nice show in a dark country sky. Thanks for reading along, and I will be out there tomorrow night as well. I plan to do some galaxy foraging across Gemini and back into Cancer again. See you out there! :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 03 February 2024 - a little deep sky foraging

Post by hosshead »

You inspire me!
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Excellent! Great that you have managed a quality session from your dark site, my friend. Kudos on braving the elements!

I assume Ethos 21mm was intended replacement for ES82 18mm. How they compare and what are strong and weak sides?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

hosshead wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:08 pm You inspire me!

Thank you, and there are no better words I could hear than that I can inspire and motivate someone to get out there and look up. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:09 pm Excellent! Great that you have managed a quality session from your dark site, my friend. Kudos on braving the elements!

I assume Ethos 21mm was intended replacement for ES82 18mm. How they compare and what are strong and weak sides?

Thank you Andrey, it was nice to get over there and do some observing more in line with what I've historically done. Last year's smoke was an absolute disaster!

Well, I would say the Ethos 21mm was not a direct replacement exactly. It came along a while after selling off the ES 82s. I regretted selling the 18mm almost immediately. I had the 24mm and didn't mind letting it go really. It was okay, but I was never enamored with it like I was the 18mm (or 11mm). So for a while I used my 13mm Ethos as my longest focal length since most of what I observe is better suited to that focal length and shorter. I bought the Ethos 21mm more as a spur of the moment thing. I had a $75 coupon given to me at Christmas in 2022 and I thought, well, why not. Everyone who has one really raves about it, so I got it for a decent discount. I agree with what others say - it is an excellent eyepiece. Nice wide views, and holds up amazingly well at f/4.5 without a coma corrector. The contrast is excellent and it is immersive to be honest.

The ES 82 18mm, while its not quite in the same league, I've always had a personal affinity for this eyepiece. For quite some time it was my true go to DSO hunting eyepiece. Even at f/4.5 it does really well with the inherent coma associated with the dob. I honestly felt and still feel, besides the 11mm, it is the best of that series. While I own two Ethos and three Pentax XWs, this eyepiece will stay with me until I retire from observing. I may not use it every time or for every object, but I want it in the case when I want to pull it out! I truly find for my eyes, my chosen telescope types and my observing habits - it simply works and works great! YMMV of course! :icon-smile:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I believe Bryan also likes ES82 18mm a lot. As you say there is probably a good match between that EP and DOB optics. It is indeed amazing that Ethos holds up well in a fast DOB. Although for such ultrawide EP there have to be some aberrations at the edge.

As for your EP case I feel your are way underequipped with just 6 EPs. My desert case holds about 20. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:01 pm I believe Bryan also likes ES82 18mm a lot. As you say there is probably a good match between that EP and DOB optics. It is indeed amazing that Ethos holds up well in a fast DOB. Although for such ultrawide EP there have to be some aberrations at the edge.

As for your EP case I feel your are way underequipped with just 6 EPs. My desert case holds about 20. :D

Oh man, I wouldn't know what to do with that many! I like to keep things simple and streamlined. What I like and what I need. I've never been an eyepiece junkie. I like what I like and I'm good with that! :icon-smile:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:01 pm I believe Bryan also likes ES82 18mm a lot. As you say there is probably a good match between that EP and DOB optics. It is indeed amazing that Ethos holds up well in a fast DOB. Although for such ultrawide EP there have to be some aberrations at the edge.

Oh man, I wouldn't know what to do with that many! I like to keep things simple and streamlined. What I like and what I need. I've never been an eyepiece junkie. I like what I like and I'm good with that! :icon-smile:
Who are you calling EP junkie?! :evil: :D. In part it comes from the fact that I observe with two scopes F5 and F10 so my main EP set spans from 3.5mm to 55mm to cover both. But also I have favorite EPs like you and while I don't use them every session I like to keep them on hand for when desire strikes.

However, in addition to the desert case which is DSO-oriented I also have home case (Moon, doubles, planets) and binoviewing case. I guess I am a junkie. :lol:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 pm

Who are you calling EP junkie?! :evil: :D. In part it comes from the fact that I observe with two scopes F5 and F10 so my main EP set spans from 3.5mm to 55mm to cover both. But also I have favorite EPs like you and while I don't use them every session I like to keep them on hand for when desire strikes.

However, in addition to the desert case which is DSO-oriented I also have home case (Moon, doubles, planets) and binoviewing case. I guess I am a junkie. :lol:

Nothing to be ashamed of for sure! :lol: We each do what we like and works for us. In your case you have two very different observing requirements, and use very different scopes. In my case, the scopes I might use range from f/4.5 to f/6.5. I do have an f/15 60mm refractor that was bought locally on a whim, and was only used once. I just keep it more as a curiosity! My case suits me at home or at the dark site.
Alan

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

this was a nice session , thx .
Last edited by messier 111 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:34 pm thid was a nice session , thx .

Thank you Jean-Yves. Hope you are having a good new year so far.
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Great to see you out at the Dark Site again Alan doing a full session!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Very nice session, thanks for your report!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for the report on your galactic sojourns in Orion and Cancer. Absolutely great stuff and the VROD winner for the day (2-8-2024)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:22 am Congratulations on the VROD!
Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:16 am Great to see you out at the Dark Site again Alan doing a full session!

Graeme

Thank you Graeme. It was really nice to be back there after nearly two months and able to cobble together a good evening. Starting to feel more like my old self, old being the operative word! :icon-smile: :icon-smile:

John Baars wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:02 am Very nice session, thanks for your report!

Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.

helicon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15 am Thanks for the report on your galactic sojourns in Orion and Cancer. Absolutely great stuff and the VROD winner for the day (2-8-2024)!

Thank you Michael, much appreciated.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I'm late to the party! Lots going on!! Well done, Bryan and congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:53 pm I'm late to the party! Lots going on!! Well done, Bryan and congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave

Thank you Dave. It seems many of us have a lot going on off stage for sure! BTW, the name is Alan, but you already knew that. :icon-smile:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:47 pm
Unitron48 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:53 pm I'm late to the party! Lots going on!! Well done, Bryan and congrats on your VROD recognition.

Dave

Thank you Dave. It seems many of us have a lot going on off stage for sure! BTW, the name is Alan, but you already knew that. :icon-smile:
Bryan is there with you in spirit Alan. :D

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:47 pm

Dave
Yes, I did know that! Senior momemt!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein