Is the satellite ball surrounding Earth messing with the ionosphere?

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Is the satellite ball surrounding Earth messing with the ionosphere?

Post by hosshead »

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2312.09329.pdf

Pretty interesting article.
Wonder about all the debris too.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Is the satellite ball surrounding Earth messing with the ionosphere?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Interesting but from just a quick scan I see that some numbers that they put forward as important are actually wrong.
I will definitely give it a closer read later. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Yeah, I haven't tried to work thru those numbers either, but I would be quite surprised if anything humans are doing in regard to dust and plasma generation could rise to the levels of entirely natural effects, except in highly localized regions over short-lived timescales. It's tough to rearrange nature. Question: Is that author assuming that falling/failing satellites are vaporized and turn into plasma? Seems to me that when they "burn up" on reentry, that process would rather rapidly form neutral particles that should tend to settle out. Hmm. Maybe I'm missing something. After all, it's not like Skylab was simply converted 100% into ionospheric plasma when it came down. And let's not forget about all those natural meteors. "An estimated 25 million meteoroids, micrometeoroids and other space debris enter Earth's atmosphere each day,... which results in an estimated 15,000 tonnes of that material entering the atmosphere each year," says Wikipedia. Hmmm!
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

This too:

A NEW PROBLEM WITH SATELLITE MEGACONSTELLATIONS? Earth's magnetic field helps us navigate and protects us from solar storms. It's crucial. However, a new study suggests that satellite megaconstellations could be tampering with our planet's magnetism by depositing a shell of conductive material in the upper atmosphere. Full story @ Spaceweather.com.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

It's certainly got some "itchy" places in the data for me as well.... I do think it's interesting, though and certainly worth attending to as a concept as we keep adding to that ball.
We didn't really worry all that much about underarm deodorant aerosols and refrigeration methods either for quite the longest time until some atmospheric scientists noticed a hole in the sky 😉
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

hosshead wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:48 pm It's certainly got some "itchy" places in the data for me as well.... I do think it's interesting, though and certainly worth attending to as a concept as we keep adding to that ball.
We didn't really worry all that much about underarm deodorant aerosols and refrigeration methods either for quite the longest time until some atmospheric scientists noticed a hole in the sky 😉
I agree, I'm not going to go over the numbers but our ability to pollute our planet knows no limit. Megaconstellations of satellites pumped up there by Corporations are not for the benefit of mankind, but for the further enrichment of of the few. Let's not carry this legacy further into space.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

AGREED!