Not much of a surprise here

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Not much of a surprise here

Post by kt4hx »

I was looking at my newsletter (email) from MalwareBytes (I am a lifetime subscriber) and the big article was about how Google continues to track you even in Incognito mode in Chrome. I honestly do not find that much of a surprise. Google/Chrome is well known for tracking users activities. Anyway, here is the article for those wishing to read it:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/ ... -in-chrome
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Gordon Online United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1051

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Not much of a surprise here

Post by Gordon »

I moved away from Chrome browsers a while back. Mostly because they began to slow down the system I was using at the time. I found that most anything on the internet has the ability to track usage and location plus browsing history. It's just the 'nature of the beast' these days.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Gordon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:27 pm I moved away from Chrome browsers a while back. Mostly because they began to slow down the system I was using at the time. I found that most anything on the internet has the ability to track usage and location plus browsing history. It's just the 'nature of the beast' these days.

Indeed so, as there is little done in secret anymore. My preferred browser nowadays is DuckDuckGo. They do at least state they do not track you. If that is totally true I am not sure. Whenever I traveled overseas, I always utilized a VPN to try and help keep some privacy. I know some prefer to utilize the TOR browser to preserve privacy in their internet use. I've never gone quite that far.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
StarHugger Online United States of America
Articles: 0

Post by StarHugger »

They think I'm in New York 😆 I have them so blocked, none of yesterdays searches show up as ads on tommorows pages and that makes me feel, Well...Like a Private Citizen!

Thanks for the posting indeed...
Last edited by StarHugger on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron / thestarhugger@gmail.com / Solar Kitchen Observatory / USA...

Small Bore Multiple Wavelength Experimental Solar Imaging, Filtering, SEAA & Visual Observation
Thefatkitty Online Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

So true Alan and an interesting article, thanks :D I've been running Linux for 2 1/2 years with a VPN. I connect to a Zurich server. One thing I don't do is store passwords, I have a notebook and my limited memory for that. Yes, it's a pain typing in my 16 digit bank card number and lengthy passord for on-line banking, but I sleep at night.

And Linux helps; what's an Anti-Virus program again? Hackers don't usually hack Open Source software; it's the corporations they're after.

Granted, Linux doesn't run everything; and to use it you should be somewhat technical and not afraid of a command line, changing file permissions, etc. Not all the time; depends what you're doing and want to install.
Still, I have all the Windows programs I need (PIPP, AS3, AstroSurface, AstraImage, PSP9) for my Sun/Moon AP running tickety-boo under it.

And having said that, if I ever get into Deep Sky AP, by the looks of it I'll have to go back to Windows! But being old and stubborn and even cheap is saving me money and not getting hacked/viruses... ;) :lol:

Thanks again and all the best to you and Mary,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I switched to DDG on my phone quite awhile ago, switched on my laptop more recently.
=============================================================================
Man... That's some icky-tasting stuff!
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
gregl

Post by gregl »

I'm with Mark. I use a VPN and the Opera browser and I feel it works. Some 7 or 8 years ago before I started this I searched for a pair of shoes and now every time there is an ad on a site where I have an account, it's for shoes, not for anything I've searched for since. So I'm confident that what I'm doing works. Also, I do not store passwords anywhere but locally in a plain document. And every site has a different password. When I travel I write the few I need on a sheet of paper in a simple code that no one is going to recognize as a set of passwords, much less break the code should the somehow get into my luggage and find it.