Show Us Your Sequence

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Show Us Your Sequence

Post by Graeme1858 »

Calling all NINA fans! Following on from the fun and informative Show Us Your Layout thread, how about we do a Show Us your Sequence thread.

Like a lot of people I used the NINA Legacy (formally Simple) Sequencer then I watched a Visible Dark video on how to transition from the Simple Sequencer to the Advanced Sequencer. Once you start using it the huge range of tools available becomes apparent.

So here's my layout:

Screenshot 2024-01-28 213923.png

Screenshot 2024-01-28 214005.png

Screenshot 2024-01-28 214028.png

I tend to get aligned, focused, plate solved and on target prior to starting the sequence. So my Start Up section sends a notification to my phone, and cools the camera (in case I forgot!) And loads the Luminance filter. These tasks are done in parallel.

The target is imported from the Framing tab. Then I centre the target, run autofocus and start guiding. There are eight triggers monitoring the session, most are self explanatory, but I've just added Centre After Drift, When Becomes Unsafe and Interrupt When RMS is Above. Centre After Drift does a plate solve after every exposure and recentres if the target has drifted. The good thing about sequences is that they can be modified whilst the sequence is running. I adjusted my settings to every exposure and if more than 1 arc minute. When becomes Unsafe uses my Arduino rain sensor as a Safety Monitor and sends a Notification to my phone if rain is detected. The Interrupt When RMS is Above is a PHD2 Tools Plugin instruction that halts the exposure if the guide star is lost due to passing clouds or whatever.

Then I loop exposures till Astro Dawn or sometimes, if the target drops below 30°, depending on the target. Whilst capturing I use the Pegasus PPB as a Weather source with an if statement to send a notification to my phone if the temperature drops below 2°C or the humidity rises above 92%.

The End section carries out the shut down tasks in parallel. I added the Set Switch Value to turn on the flat frame light box which I use in the telescope park position but mostly I just go to bed at this stage and do the flats the next day!

I hope this is useful and I look forward to getting ideas from other's sequences too.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1046

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Show Us Your Sequence

Post by Gordon »

I use NINA for most of my deep sky stuff. I normally keep it simple since I don't have an enclosed area for my scope. I just use the Legacy Sequence and manage all of the other options on my own. I can see how the automation side would be a blessing for those running full nights.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Big fan of NINA. Like @Gordon , I've only ever used the Simple Sequencer since I don't have a permanent setup. But that's about to change. I really need to dive into the Advanced Sequencer capabilities.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice Graeme! I really like the layout of your sequence.

My example is very simple. I just put it together quickly tonight to test my mount. I am hyper-tuning it in stages. The DEC was last week (waiting for bearings for the RA) and I finally got a chance to try it out. Really, just to make sure it works!

Anyway, I saw this target which is low and near the Celestial Equator (challenging guiding area especially heavy in the lp and the jet stream right above!!!).

It's the Medusa Nebula and it looks pretty cool. If things go well enough, I will try to catch an hour or two on it before the big bad moon rises.

Medusa 1.png

Medusa 2.png

Basically, it cools the camera, unparks the scope, centers on the target, starts guiding, autofocus, and imaging.
Re-focus every 60 minutes, meridian flip, image until 0130 (goes into the trees), warms the camera, parks the scope.

Fairly simple setup, but does all of the basics and shuts it all down. I have to put the caps on and cover the scope.
Sometimes I insert a "Wait For Time" before the "Unpark Scope" if the target is too low to start imaging just after dark.

240 sec light (with the L-Enhance)
Medusa.png
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Gordon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:53 pm I use NINA for most of my deep sky stuff. I normally keep it simple since I don't have an enclosed area for my scope. I just use the Legacy Sequence and manage all of the other options on my own. I can see how the automation side would be a blessing for those running full nights.

I would say that even if you are planning on a session of a couple of hours, using the Advanced Sequencer opens a lot of control and monitoring options that are not available to the simple Sequencer. The list of Instructions available is immense!

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

AstroBee wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 pm Big fan of NINA. Like @Gordon , I've only ever used the Simple Sequencer since I don't have a permanent setup. But that's about to change. I really need to dive into the Advanced Sequencer capabilities.

With your computer skills Greg, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Advanced Sequencer when you get the observatory up and running!

Graeme

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:45 pm
AstroBee wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 pm Big fan of NINA. Like @Gordon , I've only ever used the Simple Sequencer since I don't have a permanent setup. But that's about to change. I really need to dive into the Advanced Sequencer capabilities.

With your computer skills Greg, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Advanced Sequencer when you get the observatory up and running!

Graeme
Thanks Graeme. I have watched several of Patriot Astro's videos on the advanced sequencer and am looking forward to diving into it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Juno16 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 am My example is very simple. I just put it together quickly tonight to test my mount. I am hyper-tuning it in stages. The DEC was last week (waiting for bearings for the RA) and I finally got a chance to try it out. Really, just to make sure it works!

I'm impressed you're doing the hypertune yourself Jim. Mine needs doing, it lunges off target every now and then! Not sure if it's the bearings or if there's grit on the drive worm. Either way, it needs stripping down and some cleaning maintenance carried out.

I would say that you only need one exposure in the Smart Exposure Instruction not 500 in your Sequence because it will continue to Loop until 01:30.

Love the new avatar!

Graeme

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:58 pm
Juno16 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:59 am My example is very simple. I just put it together quickly tonight to test my mount. I am hyper-tuning it in stages. The DEC was last week (waiting for bearings for the RA) and I finally got a chance to try it out. Really, just to make sure it works!

I'm impressed you're doing the hypertune yourself Jim. Mine needs doing, it lunges off target every now and then! Not sure if it's the bearings or if there's grit on the drive worm. Either way, it needs stripping down and some cleaning maintenance carried out.

I would say that you only need one exposure in the Smart Exposure Instruction not 500 in your Sequence because it will continue to Loop until 01:30.

Love the new avatar!

Graeme

Excellent point on the exposures Graeme! Yes, with the "loop until", only one is needed. Thank you!
Old mindset using the Legacy Sequencer I guess.

I shut down last night after 45 exposures (3 hours at 240 sec/exp). I didn't want the moon to have a significant impact on the OIII that looks like the nebula contains. The L-Enhance does a fairly good job, but with a 24nm bandpass for OIII, I wanted the subs to be as clean as possible. Hopefully I will get more time on it soon!
My mount guided pretty well at about 0.8". I’ve had better than that, but my seeing is really poor. The good thing is that the RA and DEC error were about the same and the stars are round.

I really enjoyed tuning the DEC axis of the HEQ5. Looking forward to doing the RA when the bearings come in (when I ordered on Ebay, I didn't realize that they were coming from China)!
I am sure that tuning the mount will definitely help guiding. The DEC axis is like butter now!

If you do tune your mount, I would think that there are plenty of on-line tutorials out there. Definitely something to think about especially if you have issues.

Thanks on the comment about the avatar! I just had a coffee cup made with that same photo!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

AstroBee wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:50 pm Thanks Graeme. I have watched several of Patriot Astro's videos on the advanced sequencer and am looking forward to diving into it.

He has some excellent content.

Shawn Nielson Visible Dark does a good video covering the transition from Legacy to Advanced Sequencer.

Graeme

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Another line I put in my Advanced Sequence that for some strange reason is missing from the example I posted is a Ground Station Plugin notification in the event of any failure.

You can chose to be notified by email, IFTTT and others. I use Pushover, for a one off small payment you get a lifetime service of unlimited notifications. In the event of any failure of any part of the sequence, my phone notifies me.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 074839.png

With this installed you can get on with watching the snooker whilst capturing!

Graeme

KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Looking at all this technical set up, I am so happy to be a old school eyepiece observer.
My sequence goes like this.
Take off glasses, focus scope, observe. :lol:

I admire you boys and girls that get this stuff right, you deserve a medal just for getting your sequence set up, have fun!
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Inspired by Jim's excellent Medusa Nebula image I put a NINA sequence together this morning. I quite like sitting on the settee playing with Stellarium and NINA during the day and saving stuff to the cloud so I can open from the Observatory PC.

I added a slew to somewhere close line to the Startup section to get near to the target and cool the camera if I've forgotten. I had auto focus in there but the Starup tasks are carried out in parallel and autofocus would probably fail if the mount was still slewing. I like to unpark and check a few things prior to starting the sequence.

I added the Global Failure Notification to the Template and I changed the Smart Exposure lines to Basic Exposures because the Dither function is already taken care of in the Targeting Triggers and it keeps the whole Instruction on one line. But then I needed to add addition Instructions to change the filter.

I've also added the new PHD2 Tools Interrupt when RMS above Trigger.

The PowerUps Plugin When not Safe Instruction has been Depreciated so I've replaced it with an If !Safe Expression which means if not Safe. Then when my DIY Arduino rain sensor is triggered NINA sends a notification to my phone.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102340.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102440.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102458.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102522.png

Graeme

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:15 am Inspired by Jim's excellent Medusa Nebula image I put a NINA sequence together this morning. I quite like sitting on the settee playing with Stellarium and NINA during the day and saving stuff to the cloud so I can open from the Observatory PC.

I added a slew to somewhere close line to the Startup section to get near to the target and cool the camera if I've forgotten. I had auto focus in there but the Starup tasks are carried out in parallel and autofocus would probably fail if the mount was still slewing. I like to unpark and check a few things prior to starting the sequence.

I added the Global Failure Notification to the Template and I changed the Smart Exposure lines to Basic Exposures because the Dither function is already taken care of in the Targeting Triggers and it keeps the whole Instruction on one line. But then I needed to add addition Instructions to change the filter.

I've also added the new PHD2 Tools Interrupt when RMS above Trigger.

The PowerUps Plugin When not Safe Instruction has been Depreciated so I've replaced it with an If !Safe Expression which means if not Safe. Then when my DIY Arduino rain sensor is triggered NINA sends a notification to my phone.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102340.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102440.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102458.png

Screenshot 2024-02-11 102522.png

Graeme

That is an awesome sequence Graeme!

So much going on!
I'm guessing that you don't have many obstructions (trees, house). I use a horizon file, but it is only semi-accurate since it is hard to position the camera (phone) exactly where the scope is pointing. It gets me close though.
Actually, I ought to look into a trigger like you have with PHD2 to shut down the sequence if the guiding goes haywire (into the trees earlier that expected).

Thanks for posting. I will dig through your sequence later.

Hope that you get the chance to image the Medusa. You ought to get a better (closer) fov with your scope.
Jim