Table showing ave. object magnitude you can see with various size Telescopes

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Flyhigh7 United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Table showing ave. object magnitude you can see with various size Telescopes

Post by Flyhigh7 »

Is there a table that shows for the various size telescopes what the lowest or should I say highest magnitude object that size scope should be able to find?

Astronomy magazine is great as far as telling us what cool objects are out there each month and what magnitude it is in a dark sky. I'd like to use that info to decide what objects are going to be too faint for me to bother finding with a specific size Telescope.

Example: If I buy a Nexstar 8SE, I think, this Telescope should be large enough to hunt objects that may only be of a 13 or 14 magnitude in a dark sky. But that is just a guess and that's why I'm looking for a table that might give this information.

Thanks in advance.
'The only way to make it is to try!'

Telescope: Celestron Evolution 9.25 with Celestron Motor Focus
Evolution WiFi Mount Head/ built in 10 Hr Battery and CPC Tripod
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 / Heavy Duty Tripod
Simmons 10x50
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D
Diagonal: Baader 2" BBHS Sitall Mirror
EPs: Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm 1.25"/2", Pentax XW 20mm, Pentax XW 7mm,
Tele Vue Delite 11mm, Plossl 40mm & 13mm
Barlow Lens: Tele Vue 2.5x - 1.25" Powermate
Filters: Baader Planetarium Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Table showing ave. object magnitude you can see with various size Telescopes

Post by pakarinen »

Yes, there was one posted to Cloudy Nights. I downloaded a copy but deleted it, I think.

Edit: I guess I didn't delete it. There's probably a clearer version out there if you Google a bit.
apertures.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Table showing ave. object magnitude you can see with various size Telescopes

Post by JayTee »

I've never seen that graphic before -- nice!

I'll try to find the original, it looks worth having.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

There is also this:

telescope-calculator/

You need to scroll down a bit, but hopefully it helps :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

The graphic posted by Olen is unrealistically optimistic based on my own observing experience. The calculator posted by @Thefatkitty agrees much more closely with my visual observations but this is only for stars. In the late 1970's and early 1980's, I used to do visual searches of star fields in galaxies in searching for supernovae. This was done with my 6" f7 and when my eyesight was excellent. The reference charts of each galaxy had stellar magnitudes marked or indicated. I also assisted the author of the supernova search charts in that I was one of a number of observers involved as a chart checker. This involved checking all the relative visual magnitudes to see how the charts matched the visual experience. So I was able to test the limiting visual magnitude of the instrument from my parents suburban back yard and a Bortle 1 site, Mt Tamborine Observatory where I was a regular guest of the owner. Mt Tamborine now has quite poor skies but in the early 80', the skies were truly excellent.

An observer with good eyesight 8” scope can nominally see a mag 14-14.5 star. But this limit is affected by the observers eyesight, light pollution, seeing and transparency.

Extended objects are objects with an observed angular diameter. These are objects such as nebulae, planetary nebulae, clusters or galaxies but also includes brighter solar system objects. Integrated Visual Magnitude is the object brightness of an extended object (nebula, cluster or galaxy) expressed as if all the light were concentrated into a single starlike point. This is a useful way of recording the overall brightness of objects but is neither a good indicator of whether an object is visible (with detail) or detectable without detail (as a faint smudge)

Deep sky objects vary greatly in size so you might be able to see one compact object eg planetary nebula of say mag 13 but not another large object of magnitude 9 because the light is spread across a much bigger area. A good example is comparing the visibility of two magnitude 9 objects, the Ring Nebula (M57) and the Rosette Nebula (NGC2244). The Ring nebula is approximately 4 x 4 minutes while the Rosette is about the same all over brightness but 1.3 degrees diameter some 400 times bigger in area. The Ring nebula is an easy object, visible in a 50mm finderscope under a dark sky whereas the Rosette is very challenging due to it's low surface brightness.

The visibility of an extended object is a factor of:-
The surface brightness rather than the overall magnitude
The losses of brightness due to sky transparency
The contrast of the object brightness against any light pollution in the background surrounds.
The sensitivity of the eyesight of the observer.

If the surface brightness after losses with transparency is brighter than the sky taking light pollution into account, then you will be able to detect it.

Last year I embarked on a project, adding a relative surface brightness column to the digital NGC catalogue. But I had to get the NGC data from multiple sources that were each formatted differently and I soon found that it was more work than I had time to do. If I ever complete this, I’ll make it available.

My intention is that:-
you will be able to sort the catalogue on the basis of surface brightness.
Find your own observing limit by testing observations and finding an object that is barely visible
Colour code objects that are easily visible; barely visible, not visible
Resort the catalogue back to NGC number

Any observer will then have a colour coded NGC catalogue colour coded for their eyesight and a particular instrument. If you have multiple instruments, you can easiily have multiple copies of the catalogue coded for each telescope.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Flyhigh7 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Flyhigh7 »

Thanks guys! This is excellent information.
'The only way to make it is to try!'

Telescope: Celestron Evolution 9.25 with Celestron Motor Focus
Evolution WiFi Mount Head/ built in 10 Hr Battery and CPC Tripod
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 / Heavy Duty Tripod
Simmons 10x50
Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 350D
Diagonal: Baader 2" BBHS Sitall Mirror
EPs: Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm 1.25"/2", Pentax XW 20mm, Pentax XW 7mm,
Tele Vue Delite 11mm, Plossl 40mm & 13mm
Barlow Lens: Tele Vue 2.5x - 1.25" Powermate
Filters: Baader Planetarium Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Great advice so far! I basically suck at math and figures so it makes my head swim real quick trying to do all those calculations.
I take a slightly different approach. Your mileage may vary.

In your telescope literature there should be a mention of the "Limiting stellar magnitude or limiting visual magnitude". This is the theoretical maximum magnitude of stars your scope should be able to resolve under the right conditions.

For my XT8 this is 14.0
So I should under the right circumstances be able to see stars to magnitudes of 14.
Now factor in light pollution and the maximum magnification you have.
With experience I have learned that most DSO(not stars) over 8th magnitude are going to be impossible to see from my current backyard location. There are also other factors like surface brightness that can affect the views, again this also comes with a bit more experience at the eyepiece.
As for the stars(you may want to see a double or open cluster) I have seen some down to 13th magnitude under excellent conditions.

So I can quickly decide what is worth adding to my observing lists and what I will probably struggle with.

Not a very scientific or mathematically correct method but it works for this old goat in Africa.

Keep getting out there every time you have a clear night and soon a clearer picture of your scope capabilities and your observing skills will become apparent, have fun and keep looking up!
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I don't know how bad your light pollution is but I think you may be limiting yourself too much.

Some deep sky objects like planetary nebulae or galaxies are quite small and have quite decent surface brightness.

An 8" telescope can easily observe some mag.10 galaxies eg NGC 1316(Mv9.7) and NGC 1365(Mv 10.3). I can easily observe them in my 6" f7 reflector.

Don't forget that the entire Messier catalogue was discovered using a 3" refractor and James Dunlop discovered all the southern objects in his catalogue using a 3" refractor and later a homemade 9 inch f12 reflector.

Joe
KingClinton wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:01 am Great advice so far! I basically suck at math and figures so it makes my head swim real quick trying to do all those calculations.
I take a slightly different approach. Your mileage may vary.

In your telescope literature there should be a mention of the "Limiting stellar magnitude or limiting visual magnitude". This is the theoretical maximum magnitude of stars your scope should be able to resolve under the right conditions.

For my XT8 this is 14.0
So I should under the right circumstances be able to see stars to magnitudes of 14.
Now factor in light pollution and the maximum magnification you have.
With experience I have learned that most DSO(not stars) over 8th magnitude are going to be impossible to see from my current backyard location. There are also other factors like surface brightness that can affect the views, again this also comes with a bit more experience at the eyepiece.
As for the stars(you may want to see a double or open cluster) I have seen some down to 13th magnitude under excellent conditions.

So I can quickly decide what is worth adding to my observing lists and what I will probably struggle with.

Not a very scientific or mathematically correct method but it works for this old goat in Africa.

Keep getting out there every time you have a clear night and soon a clearer picture of your scope capabilities and your observing skills will become apparent, have fun and keep looking up!
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Joe, light pollution here sucks!
As the crow flies I am within a few kilometres of the city centre, even closer to a major harbour(once rated busiest in Africa) and for good measure only a few kilometres from a major oil refinery.
Sodium lights are still all the rage here.

On a overcast night I could stand outside and browse the paper without any additional lighting. Get a nice satisfying orange glow from the clouds.
Clear nights here always have a slight orange tinge to them.
Some planetary nebula are visible but purely as a small fuzzy circle, similar to seeing Neptune or Uranus.
I can count all the galaxies I can see from here on one hand! Only the brightest objects need to apply here, no chancers! :lol:
I learned long ago to accept the limitations beyond my control and focus on and enjoy what I can.
And that in turn makes dark sky trips even more valuable!

Thanks for your excellent advice and input as always Joe.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

I find the posted limiting factors on various telescopes to be useful in comparing telescopes. I also find them to be somewhat helpful in narrowing my expectations down to something more realistic. Those things are important for deciding if the telescope you are looking at can accomplish what you want to do with it. But, as everyone mentioned, there are so many variables these only serve as guidelines,

Another variable for me is slapping a camera on your tube. How far can that extend your range? Even if you don't try to make a beautiful picture you can up the ISO, take a string of 30 second exposures, and enter a whole new world. I always use a camera if hunting Pluto or asteroids. Following dim comets is another place where a camera helps.

I would like to have a guess how far a person can reach with short exposures and high ISO through various aperture sizes.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution