Down to Two,(I think...)

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Down to Two,(I think...)

Post by hosshead »

...yeah, I have been away for a bit doing a couple interviews with NWS now that school is out, but also have been researching scope choices.
I am down to two,(I think , lol), the Celestron 9.25 Edge hd vs the Celestron CPC1100 Starbright OTA
The 9.25 comes with the Advanced VX mount and tripod.
I believe they are both portable enough for me, of course that would depend on which tripod I might choose for the 1100.

So are the Edge optics superior enough to choose the smaller aperture? I suspect that the package that has all the kit might be a better starter.

But of course, like all newbs, I seek the advice and counsel of more seasoned minds than mine!

Your advice?

Thanks in advance!
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Re: Down to Two,(I think...)

Post by Lady Fraktor »

With the size difference it may be a bit difficult to say off-hand
but the aplanatic Edge optics are considered as better than the standard SC optics.

Personally if I was to get a SC I would get the Edge or Meade ACF.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

I am worried about what I have been reading about the Meade scopes.
I have been nearly obsessed with my telescope search so I have been reading EVERYTHING in my choice range.
Somewhere around the 10" range seems about right, need something that I can actually move without hiring a crane lol.
Had a chance at a 12" Meade LX200 from a university but I think it's too heavy and it is over 20 years old so I don't know that it's the best choice for me on my own.

The 9.25 and the 11 inch Celestrons are lighter and more portable.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I am not sure what you have read about Meade but I have liked their offerings in the past.
The LX200 7" Mak is still one of the best Maksutov I have used. Meade mounts now...

If it was my choice I would get the 9.25" Edge, I am sure you would be quite happy with it.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

hosshead wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:29 pm I am down to two,(I think , lol), the Celestron 9.25 Edge hd vs the Celestron CPC1100 Starbright OTA
A few years ago I had similar choices. I went first with plain 11", but it was too hard to handle for me. Not just weight, but in combination with bulk, it was hard to secure on the mount. So, I have returned the 11" and got 9.25" Edge - the largest SCT I can comfortably handle. Edge optics does make difference for both visual and AP.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Bigzmey;
Thank you very much.
I see that you still have the 9.25 which says it all.
As a little guy, I find your remarks about portability and bulk really valuable.
Being pretty new to telescopy, I think it's worth purchasing the kit that bundles the computer guided mount, then upgrade my tripod next year.
Even with my little Celestron c90 I have gained a pretty powerful understanding of the value of a NOT wobbly mount/tripod rig!
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Forget the Meade 12" LX200. It's a beast! Sure, you can probably handle it alone but it's not something you are gonna want to use often if you can't leave it set up permanently. And at 20 years old working at a university, it's probably seen it's better days.
I would go with the 9.25 but not on the AVX mount. Sure, it can handle it, but something like a iOptron CEM60 would do better. In my opinion, and I'm sure you will hear from others, the AVX is not enough mount for the 9.25" if you plan on doing imaging. For visual only, go for it.
The AVX is rated for a mox of 30lbs. Which means probably 20 for imaging at best. The 9.25 OTA weighs in at 21lbs. Add a guidescope, guide camera, main camera, filterwheel...you are looking at close to 30lbs.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I own an AVX mount. Trust me, you don't want to load it up with the 9.25, even for visual. The mounts you should consider for this size scope are the following: Celestron - CGX. Sky-Watcher - EQ-6R.
iOptron - any of the 40 series mounts: the GEM, CEM, and the HEM.

Here is a link to a spreadsheet (a bit dated but still good) that has a lot of info.
viewtopic.php?t=1041
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

JayTee wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:42 am I own an AVX mount. Trust me, you don't want to load it up with the 9.25, even for visual.
It's really ashamed that a company like Celestron packages that as a combo. Just asking for trouble...
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

I am already saving up for a better mount than the AVX.
I too wish there was a bundle of the 9.25edge with a better support.

I think The AstroBee has it right about beastly Meades... I am not building my personal observatory quite yet. The 9.25 seems like the right size for the Trusty Subaru.
I think I am seeing my choice right now as probably the 9.25 edge, get a better mount and pod next. This seems like the right start for the most versatility inside my budget.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Have you considered this setup? It saves you a little bit of money and makes for a much faster setup for use. Plus this mount is useable for other OTAs when you get them after you get that "beefier" EQ mount for the 9.25.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/cel ... kZEALw_wcB
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

hosshead wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:50 am I am already saving up for a better mount than the AVX.
I too wish there was a bundle of the 9.25edge with a better support.

I think The AstroBee has it right about beastly Meades... I am not building my personal observatory quite yet. The 9.25 seems like the right size for the Trusty Subaru.
I think I am seeing my choice right now as probably the 9.25 edge, get a better mount and pod next. This seems like the right start for the most versatility inside my budget.
Yes, unfortunately to keep the prices attractive most combos are overweighted as far as the mount capacity goes. The best approach is to buy OTA and mount separately.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Thank you for even more information!
The Evolution thing looks interesting!
How does it compare to the flattening and coma limitation of the edge?

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 am Have you considered this setup? It saves you a little bit of money and makes for a much faster setup for use. Plus this mount is useable for other OTAs when you get them after you get that "beefier" EQ mount for the 9.25.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/cel ... kZEALw_wcB
Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those two 9.25" scopes different? One is the Evolution 9.25 while the other is the EdgeHD 9.25.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

So here comes The Stupid Question;
Can I mount the Edge 9.25 on the rather heavy duty wooden tripod that I salvaged from the Meade 6" newt?
It is pretty sturdy but I think the 9.25 comes with a dovetail if purchased as OTA alone.

OR
I think I may wind up "hossying" up the money for the package that has the GEM ll tripod/mount... has the computer dealie and it seems like the tripod has been built more sturdily.

Means another couple paychecks but it's never bad to be patient.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

When I had to make that choice I ran into three things I had to take into consideration:

Use: photography or visual? From what I understand the Edge is better configured for photography. The field is flatter and the mirror can be locked so there isn't so much play. On the other hand those advantages are reduced when using the scope for visual use.

Cost: You will want a beefier mount to handle the weight. I ended up with a CGX. That jumps the cost. All the extras, such as a focal reducer, are much more expensive for the edge. You will probably want a focal reducer before you are finished.

Weight: I am 67. Weight was a big issue for me. In the end I got a SkyShed POD and mounted it permanently. The POD was a better investment than the telescope or the mount.

The choice is personal. I am an older guy. My dark sky location is only three miles from my house. I often open my telescope for guest viewing. I ended up mounting a small refractor piggyback for wider views. For me the 11" with a CGX mount worked. If I was 40 years younger, without access to a nearby dark sky I would get the 9.25 Edge, but with a beefier mount. If I had it to do over I would have a mount even beefier than the CGX. You can't go overboard on the mount. You are buying it for today's telescope, but you will be using it on tomorrow's telescope.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Oh super thank you for your remarks, jrkirkham!

Yes.
This is how I am thinking about it.
I just have kind of a tight budget that can't yet afford to add more things in the very soon future.
And your remarks about considering life and a heavy telescope later on also MATTER.
I have noticed that one doesn't find used Edge 9.25's on ebay.
People must be keeping them.

I love having an informed decision to go forward with.

THANK YOU!

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

You don't want to be purchasing used astro gear off eBay.
Look at the CloudyNights classifieds or AstroMart. There is a small fee for the later.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

oh I hadn't heard of astromart nor looked for a classified section there on CS.
My mention of ebay was kind of a generic for Used equipment.

I will check both spaces, thank you!

*edited for stupid typo.
Last edited by hosshead on Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

omg.
astromart is making this WAAAY more complicated.

ack.