Observing Report for 11 January 2024 - seeing double for a little bit

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 11 January 2024 - seeing double for a little bit

Post by kt4hx »

I had considered going over to the dark site house to check on things and take advantage of a clear night. However, to be perfectly honest, I didn’t feel like making the three to four hour drive over. So I decided to stay home and haul the 12 inch to the back yard. In a true change of pace, I decided to pursue a few double stars in this outing. I know that will make Andrey (Bigzmey) happy!

Deploying my stuff earlier, I went out after 2100 hours, and after being out for a short period, one of my neighbors decided to turn his back porch light on for about 15 minutes or so. After that bit of aggravation, I got down to business. My main thrust would be a few doubles in Gemini, using my Interstellarum atlas as my guide. Then I would wrap up taking quick looks at a few old friends. So with that, let’s get going!

Equipment used:

12 inch f/5 dobsonian
TV Ethos 13mm (116x, 0.9° TFOV, 2.6mm exit pupil)
Pentax XW 10mm (152x, 0.5° TFOV, 2.0mm exit pupil)
Pentax XW 7mm (217x, 0.3° TFOV, 1.4mm exit pupil)
Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA)

Nu Geminorum (Gemini, double star, mag1=4.1, mag2=8.0, sep=111.6”, PA=331°):
Using 116x in the 12 inch, this was a very wide and easy pair of white stars. There was an obvious brightness differential as implied by the listed magnitudes. The secondary star is listed as HD 257937.

15 Geminorum (Gemini, double star, mag1=6.7, mag2=8.2, sep=25.2”, PA=203°):
Just over half a degree NNW of the previous pair, this wide pair was very easy at 116x. They were uneven in brightness, but not as obviously so as the Nu Gem pairing. The primary displayed a yellow tone while the secondary was white in appearance to my eye.

20 Geminorum (Gemini, double star, mag1=6.3, mag2=6.9, sep=19.7”, PA=211°):
I located this pair about 2.5° SSE of Nu Gem. Viewed with 116x, this was a very easy duo of seemingly even brightness and widely separated. Both appeared white to my eye.

STTA 74 (Gemini, double star, mag1=7.1, mag2=8.8, sep=56.7”, PA=265°):
This easy and wide pair was uneven in visual brightness at 116x. The primary seemed blue-white while the secondary was white.

STF 889 (Gemini, double star, mag1=7.6, mag2=9.9, sep=6.2”, PA=122°):
Just 14.5’ southwest of the previous pair and in the same field of view I located this obvious pair. At 116x the pair was obviously uneven in brightness, and much closer together than the previous ones. However, they were still an easy split. I found the primary to have a subtle yellow tone while the secondary was white.

STF 1000 (Gemini, double star, mag1=8.0, mag2=9.0, sep=21.7”, PA=68°):
Up next was this slightly uneven pair of white suns, that were easily split using 116x. Interestingly, the primary component, HD 51690 also has a very tight mag 9.1 companion with a miniscule 0.23” separation that was of course out of reach visually.

The pair STT 520 was plotted in the IDSA, and I easily found what I thought was this double. Seeing two very widely spaced white stars that were of uneven magnitude at 116x. However, when writing this up, I discovered that the primary star, HD 55356, is in fact an extremely tight pair of mag 7.0 and 8.8, with a separation of only 0.60”. So in reality I did not see this pair. So in this case, it was the double that wasn’t!

STF 1110 (Gemini, double star, mag1=1.6, mag2=3.0, sep=4.2”, PA=60°):
This famous double star is more properly known as Alpha Geminorum or Castor. Easily swept up using 116x, the pair appeared rather uneven in brightness. Despite poor seeing conditions and disparate brightness I could discern them cleanly split. I did try at 152x, and they were easier of course, as an uneven pair of white stars.

STF 1108 (Gemini, double star, mag1=6.5, mag2=8.8, sep=11.6”, PA=179°):
Easily spotted with 116x, this unevenly bright pair was fairly wide. My eye saw the primary as yellow and the secondary as white.

STT 179 (Gemini, double star, mag1=3.6, mag2=8.2, sep=7.2”, PA=241°):
More formally known as Kappa Geminorum, this pair was iffy at 116x because of the glaring from Kappa. I then moved up to 152x and spotted the secondary as a clean split as a pair of white stars. After affixing its position I then returned to 116x and could pick up the secondary as a clean split, though a little tighter.

WNC 2 (Orion, double star, mag1=6.1, mag2=6.9, sep=3.0”, PA=159°):
For my final double this evening I moved over to Orion, west of the belt stars. In moments of steadiness in the seeing, Winnecke 2 was split as a pair of white pretty evenly bright components. I took looks at 152x and 217x, and they duo were easier to discern regardless of the seeing.

I was tired and a little chilled and ready to head back inside. But before I did so, I took a quick look at a couple of old favorites for a change of pace.

Messier 42 / NGC 1976 (Orion, emission + reflection nebula, mag=4.0, size=1.5°x1.0°):
Messier 43 / NGC 1982 (Orion, emission nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x15.0’):

In the 12 inch at 116x this complex was bright and fairly detailed. It displayed numerous tendrils of nebulosity emanating outward from the center, which was dominated by the Trapezium cluster. While not as showy as it would be at our dark site, it was nonetheless a beautiful object. M43 was a dim afterthought immediately adjacent to the primary component to the north.

NGC 1977 (Orion, emission+reflection nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x10.0’):
The field of the famous “Running Man” nebula was viewed with 116x north of the M42/43 complex. The prominent main stars were easily viewed and I was getting hints of possible nebulosity around them. However, given the poor seeing conditions and brightness of the stars, it could have simply been light scatter.

NGC 1980 (Orion, open cluster + emission nebula, mag=2.5, size=14.0’x14.0’, class=III3mn):
South of the M42/43 complex I easily picked up the field around Iota Orionis, and was seeing hints of nebulosity around it and nearby stars. This may have been real, or simply some light scatter in the poorer seeing conditions.

Messier 1 / NGC 1952 (Taurus, supernova remnant, mag=8.4, size=8.0’x4.0’, SBr=11.9):
My final object was the famous Crab Nebula. Aiming the scope at mag 2.9 Zeta Tauri using the Rigel Quikfinder, I then moved to the 8x50 optical finder and using the two widely spaced 6th mag stars north of Zeta, I aimed the scope just west of the westernmost of these two stars and moved to the eyepiece. I immediately spotted the nebula within my field of view of the 13mm (116x). It was a little to the dim side but still easy. It was evenly illuminated across its face, large in angular size and was more or less oval in shape, but ragged along its edges. I did drop in the DGM NPB filter which boosted the contrast noticeably. This also caused the interior of the crab to appear uneven in brightness and the edges a little more ragged.

I was now finished. I put in a couple of hours in the back yard, dealing with an occasional neighbor’s light and enduring our brightening sky. It is amazing how much it has changed over the past few years, but I know I am far from alone in that problem. It simply is how it is in so many locations nowadays. Anyway, it appeased my desire to do some observing during a little break in our generally cloudy weather. But I can state here that chasing a few double stars did not appease me in the same manner as does chasing DSOs – in particular galaxies. So, I am definitely not becoming a doubles devotee by any means. Call it passing curiosity if you will. :icon-smile: Hope you get a chance to get out soon wherever you live. Keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Articles: 0

Re: Observing Report for 11 January 2024 - seeing double for a little bit

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good session Alan and glad you enjoyed yourself :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your nice report!
Oh yes, those neigboring lights....I suppose most neighbors have no clue!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:20 pm A good session Alan and glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Thank you Gabrielle. Yeah, I had fun even if I was outside of my typical domain with the double stars. :icon-smile:

John Baars wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:50 pm Thanks for your nice report!
Oh yes, those neigboring lights....I suppose most neighbors have no clue!

Thank you John. Without a doubt they have no clue. In this case, I think he was out doing something with his dog, as it had been barking at me when I made some little noise. :icon-smile:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 596

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Fine report on the double stars, clusters, and nebulae Alan. You put the 12" Dob to good use. It seems we all need a change of pace once in awhile and doubles make excellent targets from home...congrats on earning the VROD for the day (1-14-2024)!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:17 am Fine report on the double stars, clusters, and nebulae Alan. You put the 12" Dob to good use. It seems we all need a change of pace once in awhile and doubles make excellent targets from home...congrats on earning the VROD for the day (1-14-2024)!

Thank you Michael. It is good to work outside your normal box from time to time and gain a varied perspective of what is up there.
Alan

messier 111 Canada

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

greath read , thx
congrat on the vrod .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Your report made my day, Alan! Clouds preventing me from observing for the last two weeks, but reading about Alan splitting doubles is the next best thing. :D It would be even better if you use your frac, but I don't want to push my luck. :lol:

Fine session my friend and congrats on the VROD!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

messier 111 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:34 pm greath read , thx
congrat on the vrod .

Thank you Jean-Yves.

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:22 pm Your report made my day, Alan! Clouds preventing me from observing for the last two weeks, but reading about Alan splitting doubles is the next best thing. :D It would be even better if you use your frac, but I don't want to push my luck. :lol:

Fine session my friend and congrats on the VROD!

Thank you Andrey. I figured that you would enjoy my humble efforts at star splitting. :icon-smile: Well, you know, I did consider bring out the AR127. But you know me and my quest for light capture! Aperture, aperture, aperture! If I humble myself to doing double stars again, I will use the frac. Of course when I am chasing galaxies, I have seen many doubles that piqued my interest and I would sometimes look them up, but beyond that have never had much of an interest. But I will try to motivate myself to do it again my friend!

I do think in time, I will seriously consider moving to NV astronomy, as you have mentioned. Rather than going larger, I think a white phosphorus image intensifier is a more productive method. That way I can push deeper here at home, and increase my reach at the dark site. Its not cheap by any means. But it is something I am seriously considering in the future. This will also allow me to utilize my eye for a direct view. That appeals to me more than AP or EAA astronomy personally.

Thanks again and good luck on getting some clear skies. We have some frigid air headed our way this week, not something I am thrilled about. :x
Alan

jrkirkham United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the nice report. It reminds me of a time long, long ago, when Illinois wasn't frozen stiff.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Bigzmey Online United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:06 pm
I do think in time, I will seriously consider moving to NV astronomy, as you have mentioned. Rather than going larger, I think a white phosphorus image intensifier is a more productive method. That way I can push deeper here at home, and increase my reach at the dark site. Its not cheap by any means. But it is something I am seriously considering in the future. This will also allow me to utilize my eye for a direct view. That appeals to me more than AP or EAA astronomy personally.
Night vision astronomy (should we coin NVA acronym? :)) is certainly closest to the visual observing among electronically assisted approaches, and does appeal the most to die-hard visual observers like ourself. :)

3d gen NV devices are pricey but in the ballpark (actually less) of 16"-18" obsession I was considering, and from what I hear NV in combination with my 9.25" would reach father than 16"-18" DOB and certainly would be easier to transport and operate.

The way sky keeps brightening at my dark site, in 3-5 years I would likely have to switch to NV if I want to continue hunting galaxies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Delos, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3122 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2196, S110: 77). Doubles: 2461, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 261

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

jrkirkham wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:27 pm Thanks for the nice report. It reminds me of a time long, long ago, when Illinois wasn't frozen stiff.

Thank you Rob. We have our chill coming this week, but next week we get to warm up again - thankfully. Keep warm!
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:10 pm
kt4hx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:06 pm
Night vision astronomy (should we coin NVA acronym? :)) is certainly closest to the visual observing among electronically assisted approaches, and does appeal the most to die-hard visual observers like ourself. :)

3d gen NV devices are pricey but in the ballpark (actually less) of 16"-18" obsession I was considering, and from what I hear NV in combination with my 9.25" would reach father than 16"-18" DOB and certainly would be easier to transport and operate.

The way sky keeps brightening at my dark site, in 3-5 years I would likely have to switch to NV if I want to continue hunting galaxies.

Thank you Andrey. I'm sure someone somewhere uses NVA. Since I am a purely visual beast I would prefer a direct visual approach. The NVA brings that to the table. It is indeed expensive, but I agree it is not as much as some of the scopes I was looking at for use at home. My 12 inch does not go as deep as it once did there for galaxies, and I want to keep the 17.5 at the other place and not transport it back and forth. So I considered one of similar size or even a little larger for at home. But the more I read about NVA and compared cost, I felt I would be better served by going the NVA route. Even more so at the dark site. It is something I truly may move to in the future at some point as you have suggested yourself.
Alan

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well, that's a switch for you Alan, and good for you! Taking inspiration from a fellow observer, that's part of what it's about, at least to me. And you saved yourself a big drive as well :D

Glad to hear your 12" got some sky time, and hope your weather continues to clear, and your neighbours porch light shorts itself out! Yeah, we can hope... ;)

All the best and well deserved VROD too :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
🇨🇦Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:50 am Well, that's a switch for you Alan, and good for you! Taking inspiration from a fellow observer, that's part of what it's about, at least to me. And you saved yourself a big drive as well :D

Glad to hear your 12" got some sky time, and hope your weather continues to clear, and your neighbours porch light shorts itself out! Yeah, we can hope... ;)

All the best and well deserved VROD too :D

Thank you Mark. I know Andrey (and others of course) really like to pursue double stars. I on the other hand have never been so inspired. Whether I pursue them in earnest at some point I cannot say. But, it certainly got me out there, and as you say, saved me the tiring drive. Our weather however is not faring too well for the immediate future. We will get the winter chill this week, but fortunately get a warm up next week. But of course the moon will be in charge of the night sky, so I will be on hiatus until we get some clearing when the moon relinquishes that control. :icon-smile:
Alan

Juno16 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan,
I very much enjoyed reading your report.
Glad that you got out in your backyard for some observation.
I know that doubles aren’t primarily “your thing”, but I certainly could not tell by your very nicely detailed notes.
I imagine that your backyard can’t come close to the skies at your dark site, and you can’t chase your favorite targets, but is sounds like you had a lot of fun.
I’ve just recently started imaging stars (open clusters) and especially on the drizzled images, I’ve really enjoyed diving in deep and checking out many tiny multiple star systems. By many, actually hundreds scattered everywhere!

Thanks for the great morning read my friend!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Unitron48 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice session and read, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:04 pm Hi Alan,
I very much enjoyed reading your report.
Glad that you got out in your backyard for some observation.
I know that doubles aren’t primarily “your thing”, but I certainly could not tell by your very nicely detailed notes.
I imagine that your backyard can’t come close to the skies at your dark site, and you can’t chase your favorite targets, but is sounds like you had a lot of fun.
I’ve just recently started imaging stars (open clusters) and especially on the drizzled images, I’ve really enjoyed diving in deep and checking out many tiny multiple star systems. By many, actually hundreds scattered everywhere!

Thanks for the great morning read my friend!

Thank you Jim. I appreciate the kind comments about my "out of my wheelhouse" report. :icon-smile: I have seen many very attractive doubles during my galaxy hunts. But I did have fun, though moving the 12 inch is more of a chore for me nowadays. As far as the skies go, at home we are typically a Bortle 6 level, while at the other house we are typically a Bortle 3. So as you can well suspect, the difference is truly like day and night.

Good luck with your imaging pursuits. Indeed the stellar patterns in many open clusters are very interesting. Lots of doubles, arcs and clumps of stars giving them a unique character.

Unitron48 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:46 pm Nice session and read, Alan! Congrats on your VROD!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Hope you are well my friend, and enjoying the chill we are in presently with a little dash of snow tossed in for good measure! :icon-smile:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

I just saw that I did not congratulate you on your VROD yet!
Shame on me. Congratulations on the VROD!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Ylem Online United States of America

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Congratulations on the well deserved VROD Alan!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D