Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

TV eyepiece survey

Post by Nakedgun »

~

Today, I took the nine-question email survey.

All I want them to change is to lose the accursed undercuts.

We'll see.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: TV eyepiece survey

Post by messier 111 »

I did it too, I had the impression that this survey was a sort of justification for a price increase, lol
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Yeah, I noted the undercuts as not a good thing too. The survey seemed very prescribed, and didn't give the opportunity to make other comments. I'm not sure what they would gain from it- other than to get our email addresses if they didn't have them already... ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

Nakedgun wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:01 am ~

We'll see.

I would be shocked if that ever happened.
It would imply they acknowledged something was wrong with the undercuts on all their other eyepieces.
It would create pressure on them to change the eyepieces they already make, which would create the problem of obsolete stock and a mixed inventory.
A mixed inventory would require them to discount the ones with undercuts and carry a lot of inventory they can't afford to stock.
So the best we're going to see is the beveled lower edge of the undercut on the barrels.

I fixed the problem of the undercuts by filling in the undercut with copper tape. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the problem of the brass split ring binding in focusers, adapters, coma correctors and Barlows.
The brass split rings are the source of many insertion and removal problems for accessories.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What type of questions did they ask or are they only for the select few? ;)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:29 am What type of questions did they ask or are they only for the select few? ;)
here is the survey,
https://televue.com/...s-your-opinion/
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It just comes up as a not found error (404)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

If this doesn't work (below), just go to their website, enter their blog, and click on "televise eyepieces: what's your opinion?"
https://televue.com/televueopticstalk/2 ... r-opinion/

Have fun!

Dean

(PS: It wasn't worth it, was it?! :confusion-shrug: )
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

No it was not :)
Nor does it seem that what they think is important matches what I think is important.
:confusion-shrug:
Gabrielle
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Don Pensack wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:05 pm

We'll see.
It would imply they acknowledged something was wrong with the undercuts on all their other eyepieces.
It would create pressure on them to change the eyepieces they already make, which would create the problem of obsolete stock and a mixed inventory.
A mixed inventory would require them to discount the ones with undercuts and carry a lot of inventory they can't afford to stock.
So the best we're going to see is the beveled lower edge of the undercut on the barrels.

I fixed the problem of the undercuts by filling in the undercut with copper tape. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the problem of the brass split ring binding in focusers, adapters, coma correctors and Barlows.
The brass split rings are the source of many insertion and removal problems for accessories.

Whilst I like my TV Naglers, like many others, I find the binding of the compression ring in the undercut quite irritating.

The undercut binding problem is so easily fixed at manufacturing level. They could retain the undercut but instead of a hard edge to return to the full diameter, machine a gradual return, a taper. Then the compression rings would slide up the taper without binding.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

OzEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:39 pm
Don Pensack wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:05 pm

We'll see.

Whilst I like my TV Naglers, like many others, I find the binding of the compression ring in the undercut quite irritating.

The undercut binding problem is so easily fixed at manufacturing level. They could retain the undercut but instead of a hard edge to return to the full diameter, machine a gradual return, a taper. Then the compression rings would slide up the taper without binding.

Joe
And that is exactly what Tele Vue did--beveled the lower lip of the undercuts on the barrels. It didn't eliminate the problems created by undercuts, but it did help.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor