LRGB imaging ! Exposure length advice please!

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

LRGB imaging ! Exposure length advice please!

Post by Tycho65 »

Hi,
I recently bought an Atik 314L+ mono camera (second hand) and am learning APT and autoguiding and plate solving as well. I have got a set of Baader narrowband filters and some less expensive ZWO LRGB filters (all mounted 1.25 inch filters).

I read in SkyAtNight Magazine that, R,G,B frames should have 3 times the exposure of the L frame (assuming the light pollution does not lead to overexposure !).

For example, I take a 60 second L exposure.
Then R frame (or B or G) needs a 180 second exposure.
If you bin 2x2 the R frame, then it is 180/4=45 seconds.

Summary: L (bin 1x1)= 60 seconds
R (bin 2x2)=45 seconds
You will then need to resize the R image (double the size) in order to combine the L+R,G,B frames.

Is this correct ?
Is another ratio correct, why is it 1:3:3:3 for LRGB (as explained by Sky At Night magazine) ?

Many thanks.
Magnus
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: LRGB imaging ! Exposure length advice please!

Post by Gordon »

If you look at the filters, the luminance "L" filter is almost clear, and the color filters are much darker (hence less light can pass through them). To gather enough light for the exposure it requires more time for the color filters. I usually don't bin my images, it seems to work better having them all the same size to stack them.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

There really is no hard set rule for exposures but you are correct that your RGB filters will require longer exposures than your Lum filter because of the reason @Gordon has already stated.
Also, whether to bin or not, binning should only be done if you are severely over-sampled and without knowing which scope you are using, it is impossible to answer that part.
Here's a great online calculator to check. Just put in your gear and look at the graph at the bottom.
https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Don't get carried away with exact ratios. Yes RGB should have more exposure than L because the filter is blocking roughly 2/3-ish of the light. And yes, you only need 1/4 of that if you bin 2x2. But the exact numbers aren't worth stressing over. I shoot 300s for L and 120s (2x2) for RGB.

For sizing, I just rely on the star alignment phase of stacking to take care of it for me. As long as I pick one of the L frames as the reference, the alignment phase will adjust the R, G, and B frames to match. I use PixInsight, and the stacking script (WBPP) is smart enough to always choose a 1x1 frame rather than a 2x2 frame for the reference frame.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

From my experience, salt grains apply, I shoot 50% L and 50% color. Like this, 30 minutes total L, usually in 2 min subs, and 10 minutes of each color also 2 min subs. So that is 15 luminance frames and 5 frames each of RGB. When stacking the frames I stack ALL in luminance AND color, presently black and white too, that is ALL 30 frames are stacked as a 'super' luminance image then each color separately stacked and converted to its respective color then the three colors stacked for a color frame.

All then combined in Photoshop layers as luminance and color. Basically color just overlayers the detailed image and applies color to it. Just like old-fashioned tv used to work, basic black and white image with blurry color over the top.

Anyway, IMHO, color should reflect the actual contribution of each color, e.g. if red is weak then tripling the exposure will distort the red contribution to the true color balance.

Of course, one can say, that all this is academic anyway as all we humans can see at the eyepiece is maybe a slight green color. All is artwork in the end.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Looks like everybody does it differently Magnus!

I do 2 x Luminance and 1 x each RGB:

Screenshot 2024-01-06 105059.png

But I'm a relatively new LRGB user. I'm probably going to do a few more targets like this then try 3 x L + 1 x RGB and see how it goes, if the clouds ever go away!

I'd say ponder all the advice given and try out a few combinations of your own and see what works best for you.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Hmmm, well I don't know where the original poster got their info from, but the Atik314L is a CCD camera and requires much longer exposures than a CMOS camera. Having said that the total imaging time is roughly the same.

I was always told (from a number of sources) to do 600secs Lum and half that for RGB, but I tend to bin the RGB x 2 so I do either 150Secs binned or 300 secs binned depending on target. (150n secs binned is normally from home Bortle 8 as 300secs is too long and whites out the sensor).

For narrowband I do the same, treating Ha to 600 secs and O & S to 300 binned x 2.

The Atik314L is a very capable camera - I used one for a fair number of year.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I'm going to take a different answer and say it depends on the target, your imaging train, and your mount. First determine what the maximum amount of time you can go without getting egg shaped stars, and that's your top limit. For example, someone may say "10 minutes" but if your mount can't handle 10 minutes, then you need to figure that out first.

Let's say you can, and I'll take my own situation. If I'm imaging a star cluster, I won't image with lum at all, and I'll just do RGB subs, and I'll go whatever length I can that will result stars not being saturated. If I am saturating a star, I will decrease the time. Nebulas I will do longer times, again making sure to saturate as few pixels as possible.

I'll add that I image with CCDs, and not a CMOS.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

Thanks all for your great advice. I see there is no ""right answer"" ! I will have to experiment a bit more, very hard to do in these changing climate - cloud, humidity etc.
Can I ask Stuart, how do you assess ""star saturation"? Do you have to look at the PSF graph of the star: if the peak is cut off, then it is saturated ? Or is there a wizard app or subroutine you use, I have problems assessing if a star is SATURATED !

Magnus
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:50 am From my experience, salt grains apply, I shoot 50% L and 50% color. Like this, 30 minutes total L, usually in 2 min subs, and 10 minutes of each color also 2 min subs. So that is 15 luminance frames and 5 frames each of RGB. When stacking the frames I stack ALL in luminance AND color, presently black and white too, that is ALL 30 frames are stacked as a 'super' luminance image then each color separately stacked and converted to its respective color then the three colors stacked for a color frame.

All then combined in Photoshop layers as luminance and color. Basically color just overlayers the detailed image and applies color to it. Just like old-fashioned tv used to work, basic black and white image with blurry color over the top.

Clear skies,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Do you need Maxim DL or PixInsight to stack a Super Luminance frame ?? I am not sure if this is possible in DSS or Siril (free stacking software).

Thanks,
Magnus
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Tycho65 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:48 am
Hi Steve,

Do you need Maxim DL or PixInsight to stack a Super Luminance frame ?? I am not sure if this is possible in DSS or Siril (free stacking software).

Thanks,
Magnus
Anything should work as all frames are the same, just monochrome images. I actually just use the freeware Nebulosity.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hi Magnus,
In PI there are a couple of quantative ways. The easiest way is to hover your cursor over the offending star and look at the readout mode. 0 is black and 1 saturated. You can also run the Statistics process to see what percentage of your pixels are saturated. But frankly what I just do is look at an unstretched sub and make sure that none of the stars are bright.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

KathyNS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:35 am Don't get carried away with exact ratios. Yes RGB should have more exposure than L because the filter is blocking roughly 2/3-ish of the light. And yes, you only need 1/4 of that if you bin 2x2. But the exact numbers aren't worth stressing over. I shoot 300s for L and 120s (2x2) for RGB.

For sizing, I just rely on the star alignment phase of stacking to take care of it for me. As long as I pick one of the L frames as the reference, the alignment phase will adjust the R, G, and B frames to match. I use PixInsight, and the stacking script (WBPP) is smart enough to always choose a 1x1 frame rather than a 2x2 frame for the reference frame.
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your really sensible reply. Can I just get some help with the alignment issue. I do not have PixInsight yet. Can this bin1 for luminance frames be aligned with RGB frames binned (2x2) in something like DeepSkystacker or Siril. Apologies if you have never used DSS or Siril...

Magnus
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Tycho65 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38 pm
KathyNS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:35 am Don't get carried away with exact ratios. Yes RGB should have more exposure than L because the filter is blocking roughly 2/3-ish of the light. And yes, you only need 1/4 of that if you bin 2x2. But the exact numbers aren't worth stressing over. I shoot 300s for L and 120s (2x2) for RGB.

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your really sensible reply. Can I just get some help with the alignment issue. I do not have PixInsight yet. Can this bin1 for luminance frames be aligned with RGB frames binned (2x2) in something like DeepSkystacker or Siril. Apologies if you have never used DSS or Siril...

Magnus
I don't know Siril at all, and it has been years since I used DSS. My understanding, though, is that both of them (and other commonly-used stacking software) will handle it. The important thing is that the reference frame, to which all the others are aligned, must be one of the 1x1 frames. The 2x2 frames will be stretched (in physical dimensions, not talking about dynamic range) to the same 1x1 scale. If you accidentally specified a 2x2 frame as the reference, the 1x1 frames would be reduced to match the 2x2 frame. PixInsight picks a 1x1 frame automatically. I presume the other software does, too, since it is not a rocket-science decision.

Just to emphasize, it is never a 1x1 frame being aligned to a 2x2 frame. It is always the 2x2 frame being aligned with a 1x1 frame.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin