The Music Thread 2024

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

The Music Thread 2024

Post by Lady Fraktor »

We are 5 days into the new year and hopefully everyone is well.
Here is something written and sung by the late great George Harrison

Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Re: The Music Thread 2024

Post by Kilohertz »

George was just an awesome musician, my favorite Beatle, and really loved his work with the Travelling Wilburys, as well as a ton of other post Beetles/solo work.

Cheers

Last edited by Kilohertz on Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:sprefac: Explore Scientific ED80 refractor, Sky-Watcher 200P 8" Dobsonian, Meade 856 w/853 mount and lots of eyepieces, Meade 4550 Newtonian, Sky-Watcher NEQ-3 PRO Hot Rodded with bearings and a whole mess of cameras, lenses, accessories, adapters and 2 cats. :flags-canada:
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Kilohertz »

And one more, I can't hold the tears back every time I hear this song, written by George and Ringo, this live performance even has Georges' son Dhani playing, Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne and many more, very cool. I know I have this complete live concert on one of my HDs, going to have find it again and watch it, was a great concert. I think it was called "Concert for George" performed Nov. 29th, 2002 at the Royal Albert Hall.

:sprefac: Explore Scientific ED80 refractor, Sky-Watcher 200P 8" Dobsonian, Meade 856 w/853 mount and lots of eyepieces, Meade 4550 Newtonian, Sky-Watcher NEQ-3 PRO Hot Rodded with bearings and a whole mess of cameras, lenses, accessories, adapters and 2 cats. :flags-canada:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

My better half and I had our 32nd anniversary on New Years day, though we both got each other stuff for that beforehand and just couldn't wait to open it, so that happened on the 29th :lol:
I bought her a necklace she had wanted for some time, and she bought me two albums I had wanted. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, I have pretty much everything from 45's to LP's.

PF1.jpg

I have an original copy of Meddle, but somewhere along the line this happened from when I bought it back in the early 80's:

PF3.jpg

Big difference too in the covers and the records themselves; my original copy was pressed here in 1971 in Ontario, Canada, not far from where I live:

PF2.jpg
PF4.jpg

I have two original copies of DSOTM in great shape, but wanted to hear the 50th year release. I have to say, it does sound somewhat "deeper/richer" in sound quality, but that might just be me.

Last Sunday my better half was visiting her mother and my daughter was out, so I put together my Christmas present; the Lego Perseverance rover. I started it upstairs, but the cat scan started and I needed what was in the box.... :lol:

rover1.JPG

The furball left the box after a bit and I went downstairs with all my Lego. Less fur... It took some time, but I listened to both albums twice while piecing it together, along with a few beers.

rover2.JPG
rover3.JPG

I doubt very much it will be sampling this on Mars... ;)

rover4.JPG

I have about 400 albums; I bought my first record, Dark Side of The Moon when I was 11. That was 1977. I got back into my vinyl collection when the "pandemic" started.

And as I'm typing this, I'm listening to Procol Harum, I bought this for a dollar at a garage sale in 1983. In perfect shape, not a hiss or a pop.

ph.jpg

Ahh, the good old days!

Thanks Gabrielle, for starting this too for the new year :)
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Kilohertz »

Mark I think you got the best anniversary present of the two. :dance:

That's a fabulous story, does your cat chase around that critical piece and bury it deep under the couch, too funny?

I haven't built Lego since my son grew up (22 now) but we sure built a lot when he was young. I introduced him to classic rock, played it whenever I could, he finally realized it had more character than the stuff his friends were listening to. He ended up in an after hours band with his friend playing Green Day cover tunes as well as some originals, hopefully I had a good influence on him. He recorded and produced his own music since he was about 12 or 13, still plays guitar and drums as a hobby.

Anyway, very cool two albums. I still have a sealed DSOTM on vinyl as well as a rerelease CD from the 80's, should probably open and enjoy before I die.

I've been collecting vinyl for years, still have all from childhood(70's) and probably have 5-6,000 albums, some in the house, shop, horse trailer...probably a few more places. I'll never get to listen to them all. I love building/modding stereo gear, electronics nut since I was a kid...

Sorry for the long post, now back to your regularly scheduled program. I love this song, you can hear so much of what was to come on DSOTM, one day I'm going to mix Echos and 1 or 2 from DSOTM, I've thought about it for a few years, will be fun.

Cheers

PS, Gabrielle, if you ever come back to Vernon, let me know, would love to meet you.

Last edited by Kilohertz on Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

@Thefatkitty
I hated seeing that damaged PF album!! Painful.
They are definitely in my top 10 for favorite bands.

In school into university I played drums for a Nazareth tribute band, I had a lot of fun :)
A song from the boys from Scotland.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Kilohertz »

Since we veered off the road slightly, my son decided to build his Christmas present from about 7 years that he didn't build at the time, not sure why, but he's on it today, sitting on his play blanket, he's 22 now so this is legal.

There ya go Mark. :lol:

Cheers
IMG_6079.JPG
IMG_6087.JPG
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Sometimes you just need to have some fun :)

Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A day that starts with some Clutch is a good day :)

Gabrielle
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:02 am My better half and I had our 32nd anniversary on New Years day,

Happy Anniversary Mark!

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My computer tells me that today is David Bowie's birthday. Another one, like George Michael and Sinead O'Connor taken from us too early.

"Ground control to Major Tom"
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Kilohertz wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:30 am Mark I think you got the best anniversary present of the two. :dance:

That's a fabulous story, does your cat chase around that critical piece and bury it deep under the couch, too funny?

I haven't built Lego since my son grew up (22 now) but we sure built a lot when he was young. I introduced him to classic rock, played it whenever I could, he finally realized it had more character than the stuff his friends were listening to. He ended up in an after hours band with his friend playing Green Day cover tunes as well as some originals, hopefully I had a good influence on him. He recorded and produced his own music since he was about 12 or 13, still plays guitar and drums as a hobby.

Anyway, very cool two albums. I still have a sealed DSOTM on vinyl as well as a rerelease CD from the 80's, should probably open and enjoy before I die.

I've been collecting vinyl for years, still have all from childhood(70's) and probably have 5-6,000 albums, some in the house, shop, horse trailer...probably a few more places. I'll never get to listen to them all. I love building/modding stereo gear, electronics nut since I was a kid...

Sorry for the long post, now back to your regularly scheduled program. I love this song, you can hear so much of what was to come on DSOTM, one day I'm going to mix Echos and 1 or 2 from DSOTM, I've thought about it for a few years, will be fun.

Cheers

PS, Gabrielle, if you ever come back to Vernon, let me know, would love to meet you.
Thanks @Kilohertz, yeah, I think I got the better present as well :D As for the cat, she's old and lazy so no worries there! Neat story about your son; that's cool, a Green Day cover band! Sounds like you did have some influence on him, good for you. I have a daughter who listens to what I do as well; we saw the Smashing Pumpkins last summer and we had the best time. My wife stayed home; she's not into some of our music :lol:

Wow, 5-6000 albums? That's insane but good for you! You've probably got some Mark Bolan/T-Rex I'd love to find... ;)

No worries on the post, not long at all but interesting for sure! Thanks for the info, I like finding out the interests of the various folk on here :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

We were feeling the 70 km/h winds this evening and snow but no rain :)

Gabrielle
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:45 am We are 5 days into the new year and hopefully everyone is well.
Here is something written and sung by the late great George Harrison

One of many things I love about music, is that it can take you places every time you hear it.

When I was in Vietnam, I was a 'grunt' (infantry) and we spent most of the time out in the jungle staying very quiet. I carried a small waterproof M60 machine gun ammo can with all of my "personal" stuff ie: letters, paper, a cassette player and a few cassette tapes, one of which was the Beatles Abbey Road. At night we would set up a defensive perimeter and since I was one of the main radio operators, I would have to pull 'radio watch' for a couple hours at night. Keep in mind, no light, no sound, nothing. To keep awake I would listen to my cassette through the small ear piece. Now to the song in question. I usually had the last watch so I got to see the sun coming up. Many of those early mornings, "Here Comes the Sun" would be playing as the sun rose.

Every time I hear it, those mornings return to my mind.

PS: it's a good memory!!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Russian metal band СЛОТ (Slot) led by Daria 'Nookie' Stavrovich powerhouse vocals

Gabrielle
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Kilohertz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 am Since we veered off the road slightly, my son decided to build his Christmas present from about 7 years that he didn't build at the time, not sure why, but he's on it today, sitting on his play blanket, he's 22 now so this is legal.

There ya go Mark. :lol:

Cheers

That's so good! I meant to reply yesterday, but life... I hope you don't mind, but I showed your son's picture to my wife, and she said he looks like I did at that age. (We've known each other since 1973) Playing with Lego and having a beer, tools around and stereo stuff, and fluffing up the cat; your son is a good man! I hope he finished the build :D

I've tried to raise my daughter the same way. The three of us are together, but for most things she's more like her old man. Except for food, but that's another story :lol: She got me these Christmas 2022, she found them at a shop over in Uxbridge. The notebook cover is a part of the actual record. I hope it was in bad shape to start with:

book1.jpg
tee.jpg

Now I have somewhere to keep all my notes besides scraps of paper!

book2.jpg

And just for fun, here's the two of us at the SP concert last September. Yes, the large beers we've consumed are probably obvious.... ;)

01.JPG
02.JPG

Thanks for the post and all the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

One of my favorite Nirvana songs sung by Lorde :)

Gabrielle
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

I stopped off at a thrift store in Uxbridge today that I've been meaning to visit for some time, and found this for 5 bucks. It's in great shape; cleaned it when I got home and only heard two small pops on the entire album.

Trex.jpg

I'm still smiling... :lol:
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Since Mark did not post a T Rex link, here is one to enjoy :)

Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A truly under-rated singer / songwriter from Louisiana USA.
Fantastic vocals on Hangmans Daughter when he was with Agents Of Oblivion and a great solo version of a Rolling Stones song.
I would stop the Dead Flowers video after 3:12 as it was recorded in a pub and there is nothing after that time but pub noise.

Gabrielle