My first image while waiting for clouds to clear

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Kilohertz Canada
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

My first image while waiting for clouds to clear

Post by Kilohertz »

I just can't catch a break, I'm ready to start imaging with my new scope and mount but we haven't had a clear night in a month so I decided to take the S200P 8" f/6 Dob out on the deck and try capturing a few images across the valley. These power lines are just over 5km away. I used my SV305 CCD camera and captured about 400 frames (video SER format) then stacked in Autostakkert and 30 seconds of auto correct in PS. I'm impressed, I think it is pretty good? I know not many people here shoot terrestrial objects but I wanted to ensure my camera works as planned on my scope.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

this image was 12M but I had to shrink to fit here.
15_04_31_ photo shop autocorrected.jpg

my son corrected it a bit more (he is a photographer)
15_04_31_lapl6_ap7_conv fixed.jpg
:sprefac: Explore Scientific ED80 refractor, Sky-Watcher 200P 8" Dobsonian, Meade 856 w/853 mount and lots of eyepieces, Meade 4550 Newtonian, Sky-Watcher NEQ-3 PRO Hot Rodded with bearings and a whole mess of cameras, lenses, accessories, adapters and 2 cats. :flags-canada:
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Re: My first image while waiting for clouds to clear

Post by hosshead »

:clap:
I like that you can discern the green of the trees.
Lovely sharpitude as well.
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: My first image while waiting for clouds to clear

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good idea, so much easier to check focus in the day! I'd say you're ready to go as soon as your skies clear :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC