iOptron Telescopes

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

iOptron Telescopes

Post by hosshead »

Hello...
Kind of stepping into telescopes, as in something that is truly light collecting, after Astronomical binoculars and a couple of Meade and Celestron refractors.
I am at a place where I am interested in trying something at least 10 inches, probably Newtonian gem and I am sort of shopping around.
Does anyone here have any experience of the iOptron Scopes?
Yes, I know they are more familiar for their mounts, I just have a curiosity about the quality of their telescopes.

Thank you for any replies, please don't shoot the newbie. :icon-smile:
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: iOptron Telescopes

Post by Gordon »

Hi hosshead!

First off welcome to TSS.
I don't have an iOpron Scope so I can't help you there. I have purchased a couple of SkyWatcher newts and have been very happy with them. My guess would be that iOptron is sourcing their telescopes from the same source as Skywatcher.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Thank you for your reply.... and the Forum Boss at that!
Of course I am surfing all the eBay offerings and used scope sites and forums galore, just trying to sort the benefits of SCTs vs Reflectors, then dobs vs Newts on GEMs.....
eesh!

I did manage to snag a Meade 6" on its old gem.... 50 bux at a yard sale. Yes the scope is absolutely miserable but the tripod and mount are in decent shape, the mount swivels and rotates very smoothly. I was kinda expecting it to be frozen and/or squeak if it moved at all!

So thank you humbly for your response! Any and all input from EVERYBODY is super welcome!🙏
Binoculars; Celestron Skymaster 18-40 X 80 zoom, Bushnell7-15 X 35 zoom, a couple of older single speed Bushnells that ride around in the car for weather spotting clarification
Scopes; Tiny little Mak-Cass Celestron c90 spotter scope that lets me count the moons of Jupiter and with which I can see Saturns rings in Mickey Mouse phase
Old Meade 1000mm f/11 that was missing the finder scope and ring so I rigged one onto the barrel using duct tape and a bit of cardboard and that actually works and I can count the moons of Jupiter with this one too.
Meade 6" reflector,(really elderly), found at a yard sale, the tube is a bucket of rust and corroded mirror but the mount and tripod will be recoverable so hooray for that.
Cameras; Mamiya medium format 645 with a couple of polaroid backs and a series of wide angle to 50mm lenses
Konica-Minolta 35mm,Sony alpha dslr's, up to the a900 full frame, mostly got them used because I don't have much money.
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

p. s. how do you find the Quattro?
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

hosshead wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:25 pm p. s. how do you find the Quattro?
I love it!

The 10" was getting too heavy to pick up and place on the mount, the 8" is much easier to move around.

What are you thinking you want to do? Visual or Astrophotography or both?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

" What are you thinking you want to do? Visual or Astrophotography or both?"

eek!
That is a seriously difficult question!
I probably want to do both but think it's wise to get good at the visual side of things, LEARN the equipment before I get too excited about hanging a camera on there lol!
I know that my choices really depend on just what I want to do.
Right now I want to get an excellent first telescope that gives me the deepest view I can manage and,(of course), the biggest bang for the buck.

I kind of want around a 10-12 inch. Probably a Newt since that seems more versatile and easier to load into my trusty Subaru.

So that is why I have a curiosity about that iOptron because ut is a newt with a pretty good ap X length and will be gem mounting. The Quattro is certainly on my radar.

....and every single orange tube c8 on ebay lol!!!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

hosshead wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:07 pm Right now I want to get an excellent first telescope that gives me the deepest view I can manage and,(of course), the biggest bang for the buck.
Re: the Subaru: A 10" Dob will fit, the 12" is questionable. As we have all found out, "bang for the buck", and getting set up for AP are mutually exclusive terms.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

When it comes to bang for buck you can't beat a dob. However i will say this, transporting them can be challanging depending on your vehicle. So before you buy anything find a club and look at scopes in person. Scopes are always bigger in real life then they are on the web. Now in my truck I can lay the OTA of my 10 inch on the back seat with room to spare, i can easily get a 12 inch back there. So you will need to look at your vehicle and figure out what will fit.
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Welcome to TSS and glad you have a trusty Subaru.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Also, don't forget about weight! Bigger telescopes (for AP) really demand bigger mounts. My 8" Newt (16.5 pounds) sits on a 40 pound tripod. I have to use (I think) 30 pounds of counter weights when I add in all the AP stuff that sits on the scope. I've shortened all the (power supply) wires trying to reduce the weight as mush as possible. I have yet to find a power supply that is lighter than the three 12V supplies I currently use. Just make sure you get a mount capable of twice the weight of your scope. I have three Ioptron mounts - 1 GEM Very old and basically useless, 1 Minitower (the original - ALT/AZ still works great), and a new SkyHunter which I'm still getting used to. So far the Alt/Az isn't too bad; I've yet to try the EQ mode for AP. I bought it mainly for travel for my 4" newt. I've not bought any of their scopes though. I use an Orion Atlas EQ-G for AP.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

hosshead wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:49 pm Hello...
Kind of stepping into telescopes, as in something that is truly light collecting, after Astronomical binoculars and a couple of Meade and Celestron refractors.
I am at a place where I am interested in trying something at least 10 inches, probably Newtonian gem and I am sort of shopping around.
Does anyone here have any experience of the iOptron Scopes?
Yes, I know they are more familiar for their mounts, I just have a curiosity about the quality of their telescopes.

Thank you for any replies, please don't shoot the newbie. :icon-smile:
If you like to get a large newt you will be better of with Dobsonian. 10" Newt on GEM mount is a monster of setups, it is best suited for a permanent installation in a personal observatory.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

....well now I am taking all the thoughts and inputs into consideration so I am mulling around the smaller, light, multipurpose type scopes.

Trying to avoid biting off the unchewable chunk, as it were.
I am not a big guy, just a touch over jockey-size lol.
I'm thinking about one of the skywatcher MAK-Cass dealies, they have a lighter weight going on.

Wondering if a self-guided scope SHOULD be my first "real" telescope in spite of having always been a manual operator of my meagre gear so far. Do we learn more if it's completely self-operated? Or does a self-guided scope make it easier to be HAPPY with a purchase?
It's a L O T.

Getting a handle on the mount/tripod I will need is, of course, a part of my cogitation. How tall is it vs me not being at all tall?
Taking my time....
Trying to find people's impressions of the equipment I am considering is super important! A best reason for joining a dedicated forum!

I SOOO appreciate everybody's responses to my posts,please keep guiding me! Right now you are all my teachers!
Gratitude!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

How good/bad are your skies? During my trips to the desert I love to use manual mount and find targets by stars. At home the under light pollution only the brightest stars are visible and I have to switch to GoTo computerized mount to find the targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
hosshead Canada
Mars Ambassador

Post by hosshead »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:54 pm How good/bad are your skies? During my trips to the desert I love to use manual mount and find targets by stars. At home the under light pollution only the brightest stars are visible and I have to switch to GoTo computerized mount to find the targets.
Oh, the skies here are kinda crap at this time of year.
Of course the colder time of year with less ground atmospheric interference also has the worst cloudiness!
This year being an El Niño year means a typical higher humidity and cloud cover problem.
PLUS; Ohio has a pretty bad dark sky paucity.

but I am a persistent bugger so we'll see stuff.

Hoping to catch the couple of comets this month.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and thanks for your replies!